[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I thought about quitting my job to become an artist. I already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: studio1.jpg (721 KB, 1824x1024) Image search: [Google]
studio1.jpg
721 KB, 1824x1024
I thought about quitting my job to become an artist. I already spend every free minute drawing/practising but I need more time. When I was still NEET I usually spent 5-8 hours drawing a day.

Any thoughts/experiences?
>>
post your work
>>
>>2568241
basically this

post your work + how long you've been drawing and that hsould give people a good enough indication on what the game plan is
>>
>>2568237
Post some stuff you must have hundreds of drawings laying around. Post your best stuff.

Also, dont listnen to ANYONE here. their opinion is just as valuable as a pile of dogshit.
Walt Disney got rejected ALOT before he could publish. Loads of other artists aswell, the thing is, you should STOP caring about the opinion of others, and create your own art with love. That's all there is to it. And when people say its not good enough, go to someone else (publisher, whatever person you need to achieve your dream) after the 20th time someone say its not good enough, GO TO THE NEXT!.

That's it, that's all there is.

P.S. I forgot, ofcourse your art is important, but how you sell it is just as important. Your first impression when you walk in the room with said publisher, they way you talk, your intonation, the gestures YOU make. Take a course in selling / being confident whatever, since you were a NEET zo long you prbably have the social skills of a potato, so work on that.

Good Luck
>>
>>2568237
Where is your work?
>>
OP left, kill thread plz
>>
File: 1448498924862.jpg (43 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1448498924862.jpg
43 KB, 330x319
>>2568261
op confirmed for never making it
>>
>>2568264
He's probably drawing as we speak
>>
>>2568237
If you want to become an artist, dnt be afraid to show / talk about it. This is a harsh site and its a good way to build up some 'ignore the haters' experience. Cause nobody in real life will be a big a jerk than the people here.

Are the people here asshole's? Some, yes. But its mostly because its 'anonymous'.

SO GET OVER IT AND POST YOUR SHIT OP
>>
File: stuff.jpg (550 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
stuff.jpg
550 KB, 2000x1500
I only have some older/unfinished stuff on my laptop. Most of it is from 2014 and the beginning of 2015.
>>
>>2568275
Have you improved since then? Because you've basically told us nothing. Hell, do you even know what the fuck you want to do as an artist?
>>
File: 1436658870921.png (127 KB, 455x396) Image search: [Google]
1436658870921.png
127 KB, 455x396
>>2568275
>spend every minute drawing
>post shitty studies from 2 years ago

what are you some kind of compulsive liar
>>
>>2568241
Flash me
>>
>>2568275

>spend every free minute as an artist
>only have digital stuff from 1.5-2 years ago

Post current stuff, even photo of it because I assume you went full traditional.

If you won't - fuck you.
>>
>>2568237
Since you didn't post your portfolio in OP you shouldn't quit your job family
>>
>>2568237

You're already an artist, though. Best of luck if you do follow through and quit. However, I recommend not quitting being a functioning member of society to get poor if you're going to then complain about not being paid, when you dropped out of the workplace to pursue a non-marketable position.
I just think everyone should feel like an artist, athelete, and whatever else they choose to pursue with any of their time. You aren't defined by your job, you're defined by everything you do, and since you spend a lot of time drawing, I'd say you're an artist.
>>
>>2568237

Firstly, don't quit your job. If you want to be a professional artist somewhere where you can be promised a regular paycheck, you'll find it's a lot easier to get work when you already have work, even if it's unrelated. Plus financial stability will help keep you sane. I was unemployed for a while, and sure, I had a lot of free time, but man watching your savings dwindle away on shit like loans and food and rent with no promise of a paycheck in the near future is the fast track to madness.

If you draw all the time, that's great. If you're good, even better (If you're not that good, get good. Drawing all the time is nice, but if you want to improve you have to make the effort to improve, not just draw), but if you want to go professional with anything, you need to start focusing on that. Put together a nice portfolio that shows off the kind of work you want to do, not what you're best at. Anyone hiring you will do so based on your portfolio, so if it's full of stuff you're good at but hate doing, you're going to find yourself very unhappy.

Finally, market and network. Find your local art community and meet people. Go to a figure drawing session or something—you won't have to do much talking, and you'll have a conversation starter by default. Start a blog if you don't have one, and spread that shit around if you do. Things like the Character Design Challenge are great ways to make your work and portfolio visible.

Once you've started to make some money as an artist or have a job with a company lined up, then quit your job. If you can find all the time to draw, you can make the time to get your work out there. Sure, you'll draw a little less for a while, but you'll be taking your art further.

There's a lot of luck involved. Being a great artist doesn't guarantee you work right away, but be persistent. The biggest mistake people make is giving in to discouragement.
>>
File: 1464998761721.gif (762 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1464998761721.gif
762 KB, 300x170
>>2568435
>>
quit your job faggot you aren't going to die in a civilized country

unless you live some 3rd world where guns are blazing and you have to run from towelheads you'll be fine
>>
>>2570690
This. Even if you go bankrupt, you can still draw in prison.
>>
>>2570692
they send you to prison if you go bankrupt?
where the fack do you live? some uncivil police state (america)

here is Australia, we help those who have financial hardships.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.