[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portfolios
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: PortfolioThread.jpg (1 MB, 2496x2172) Image search: [Google]
PortfolioThread.jpg
1 MB, 2496x2172
> Help eachother
> Be Real

Lets start a Portfolio thread where we can give eachother feedback on where we struggle, and how to fix them.

Not everyone may be ready for industry work, but that is where we can help eachother.

I will post mine.

www.MatthewDumlao.com
>>
Draw Thread 2.0

fuck off you retard.
>>
>>2289016
You're certainly on the way anon, your rendering is nice in some places and your character designs are creative enough.

However, at the risk of parroting the common sentiments of this board, I really think you need to go back and get a better handle on your drawing. There are are a lot of instances where your construction and anatomy have let you down with the finished products. Many areas look flat despite the rendering and end up with that polished turd look where everything is just slightly uncanny, perhaps because you lack some understanding of the primitive 3D shapes in perspective. I'd also like to see you push some more dynamic poses. I know character design usually calls for this sort of straight up and down composition, but believe me when I say that if you learn to draw the body from many angles and positions where you're forced to consider perspective this will lead to your more simple forms looking 100x better. I think your portfolio should always display more of a range of abilities.

Just my opinion, good luck.
>>
>>2289016
To be honest your work comes across as very generic and the type of stuff that gives sci-fi a bad reputation (armor that doesn't cover boobs, big guns and glowing swords, meaningless designs etc).

A lot of your designs look the same. You use the same type of blocky made up sci-fi shapes in each one. It would be cool if you could develop more of a distinct shape language for each, or have their designs draw influence from existing things to make them more interesting than blocky metal shapes. None of them have much personality. How can you show who they are and what they do by the way they dress and the body posture they use? Think about who you want each character to be.

Also it's bad to have photo studies in your illustration section. It makes it look like you are trying to pass it off as your own creation when it is a study of someone else's work.

Might be a good idea to have your email more prominent (have it visible on every page) and get a more professional email. Your email right now sounds like something from middle school. Get firstnamelastname@gmail or something.
>>
>>2289016
Your portfolio showcases a small set of designs (non realistic sci-fi and some random female knights on skin armours) even if you got a good amount of them, almost everything is the same thing. You might be interested to apply what you know on different themes and objectives so you actually can open more doors.

You might want to remove your sign, kill that typos with fire, look how Ross Tran sign his work and take note. Don't use watermarks... gosh.

You should step out and do different things than pretty chicks. BTW, you're working hard, so gj, keep it, try to put actual troughts on your desing/ilustrations. Working artists are paid to comunicate.
>>
>>2289016
I've been wanting a thread like this for a little while. Thanks to /ic/ I've determined I need to make a portfolio of illustrative work but I haven't been totally sure how to go about it, or what I'm currently lacking that I need to improve upon, besides rendering. Basically I need to look at what I have, and where I need to be and what kind of pieces I need to show, and plot a course. When it comes to making a portfolio, is it pretty much a given that you need to set it up on its own webpage like that?
>>
>>2289087
It's best to have your own website yeah. It's very easy to do through Squarespace or some other similar site that lets you build your own off a template and get your own domain all for pretty cheap. Otherwise probably having an Artstation gallery is the next best thing.

If you're building a portfolio for illustration you should first figure out what area of illustration you want to focus on. Book covers? Children's books? Editorial illustration? Fantasy tcg games? Comics? There's a lot of options out there, so you should try to focus it on one area.
>>
(1/2)
>>2289016
I agree with the two anons above >>2289038 >>2289042. I'll try to add additional points.

>Website
Ugly overall. You don't need to show off web design skills, but it'd be nice to have something that doesn't look like it was slapped together by an amateur. There are plenty of portfolio templates out there you can use - do some digging into that and compare how your site looks to that of other professionals.

I don't like the photo you have under your contact - either have a normal, professional looking photo, or nothing at all. The Artstation link can just say "Artstation" instead of "Artstation Link". I didn't read the about, but why do you have an illustration there that isn't also in your illustration section?

>Concept Art
Without looking at the original characters, I don't know how much of a redesign the overwatch characters really are. I just assumed it was fanart of their standard design until I read that you listed them as a redesign.

For a concept art section, I think it's more important to show off your process. How do you start with an idea, explore different directions, then narrow down to a select few/one final polished piece. Considering how samey they are, you aren't showing off your design skills, which is the first job of a concept artist.

What kinds of companies is this tailored for? What specific companies have a demand for this particular look of scantily clad, big gun sci-fi chicks? If you can't think of any, then you aren't making a strong portfolio. You want to show potential employers that you can make what they need - think about the needs of companies that line up with your interests rather than draw what you want and assemble all of your finished pieces.
>>
File: 4leg-color-set-up.jpg (228 KB, 500x758) Image search: [Google]
4leg-color-set-up.jpg
228 KB, 500x758
Feel free to red pill me https://albertomoldes.artstation.com/
>>
>>2289016
>>2289097
>Illustration
The first piece is the best one. I'd get rid of the two (maybe 4?) photo studies in there.

Most of these are the same as the last category, but with an added background. Illustration is meant to tell a story, and you aren't really telling any stories here. A lot of the backgrounds are barely anything at all, and look like an afterthought. Are you starting with thumbnails and planning the piece as a whole, or are you drawing a character, then trying to figure out a background that might work?

The two pieces that have a semblance of a narrative involve two piece fighting, and both are incredibly stiff. Do more gesture drawings, and study what animators study. You really need to exagerrate action. If your line of action is a straight line, then the pose is stiff.

As with the previous category, you need to think about your target market. What companies do you see using these types of illustrations. Look at the body of work that the company already uses - does yours fit?

>Moving Forward
Continue with studying your fundamentals and whatnot. As for content of the portfolio, design it from the ground up. First decide on what companies you'll be sending your portfolio to - keeping their goals and needs in mind. Next, plan in writing what types of skills you need to demonstrate in your portfolio. It might be a piece that shows human/creature interaction, another piece that shows a crowd interacting in a calm scene, maybe a battle scene with many people, something that shows a specific mood, etc. Show off how you can handle environments, characters, creatures, etc. Show how you can design each of those in whatever genres you need. What do your conservative designs look like? What do your out-of-the-box designs look like? Get ideas from the needs of your prospective employers. Book covers need different art from card games, which need different art from video games.
>>
>>2289096
I mostly want to do comics, I'm branching out because it seems a little impractical at the moment though, but would it be bad to include it and a few types? I have some card illustrations I did for a gig, and I'm working on creating some splash art now. Is it okay to have one that showcases those three types, comic, card, and splash/cover illustration, or should I really narrow it down to just one? People have said it's best to show a well-rounded portfolio...
>>
>>2289098
If this is a portfolio to get work, then I would trim this down. Remove the studies, the old work, and the weaker work. Also like half the images are WIPs, so I would finish them ASAP if you want to use them.

Overall your skills are pretty good, but your gallery is all over the place with various styles, unfinished work and old work. If I was looking to hire then I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in you being able to deliver what I want even though you seem to have some skill.
>>
>>2289104
You can have different sections on your website. So each section acts as its own portfolio. All the comics stuff is in one gallery, then all the illustration is in another, and so on. That way when you show an AD they look at only what is relevant to their needs.

The well-rounded portfolio is more like showing some diversity within it. So you can show within comics that you are able to do different types of storytelling and panel layouts, maybe some slight variations of inking style or colours, maybe an action scene and an emotional calm scene etc. But if you show an anime drawing, an acrylic painting, a photobash, and an editorial image then most ADs will not be comfortable hiring you since you tend to jump all over the place and they don't know what style or process they will get.
>>
>>2289105
thanks, I already know I need finished shit instead of wips, but most the time I get stucked and pass to start something diferent and so on, it's quite an habit on me I'm trying to change

I'm already planing to clean and finish everything to make it worth showing, but I'm focusing on basics right now

thx anon
>>
>concept art section filled with drawings of existing characters
>pic
I think OP just posted a shitty site he found to see how we'd react
>>
>>2289107
Oh okay, got you. I hope I'm not overdoing it but I want to get as much info as I can so let me ask another question. When it comes to splash art, such as for loading screens and whatnot in games, should I also show varied styles in that or is it better to vary the subject matter while keeping the style consistent?
>>
>>2289114
I'm pretty sure I saw him posting WIPs on a thread earlier, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit.

>>2289119
Hm, I'm not sure it matters so much. You'll probably get different answers from different people. In my mind the important thing for splash art is that it is done to a very high level, especially when it comes to rendering. Maybe play to your strengths, so if you are very good at one particular style do a couple with it consistent. But if you are able to easily switch styles and still make it look good, then show a few different kinds.
>>
>>2289122
Yeah I saw some wips of that Kerrigan one back in that HotS contest thread, I think it's probably real.
Anyway, good to know on the splash stuff. My rendering is still so rudimentary though. I guess I just need to learn how to draw the rest of the owl haheahuehueahahaaaian'tgonnamakeit
>>
>>2289127
>My rendering is still so rudimentary though. I guess I just need to learn how to draw the rest of the owl haheahuehueahahaaaian'tgonnamakeit
Eh, it takes time to learn to get good at art. Usually at least 5 years to go from noob to pro level in art, then it can take even longer before you start getting regular work.
>>
>>2289128
I'm good at drawing, I just need to figure out the fancy rendering. I don't think it would take me years to figure out, but I do need to figure out what kind of either tutorials to read or videos to watch or something to learn this info, because dicking around on my own isn't really cutting it.
>>
>>2289129
It can still take years to get a rendering level that looks very professional and doesn't take a month to do. The fact that you are asking about tutorials shows you are gonna need some time to get good at it.

Do some mastercopies and paint from life. Take your time until they are rendered at a high level. Repeat.
>>
>>2289038
>>2289042
>>2289085
>>2289097

OP here, thanks for all the feedback. I still got a lot of work to do before I become a professional artist and will make sure to take notes on all the feedback.

I didn't start doing studies and actually learning until this year, That was my own fault, so thanks again for all the feedback.

>>2289114
The three characters that already exist are Overwatch Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Tracer. Was trying to do some redesigns and thanks to feedback will do even more work to learn more and study harder.
>>
>>2289132
But I need to learn more about my tools. It's one thing to say "oh just paint from life" but for instance, I've never painted with oil paints. I have an idea of how they work, I know you're supposed to use turpentine with them in some kind of way, but I don't know if you're supposed to prime the canvas with gesso or something or how to paint wet on wet - I would need that information. Yeah I could maybe possibly figure out some of it on my own left totally in the dark, but I'd rather get some instructions so the tools aren't getting in the way. It's the same thing with photoshop, I'd like to know more information about how people use layer modes and textured brushes etc instead of just experimenting aimlessly with all of that, because ps has quite a few combinations and I could mess with those things forever without finding anything helpful. I know that information is out there, I just haven't been sure where to look.
>>
>>2289136
I mean I guess, but digital is so forgiving you can make up your own process or bullshit around a while and still get a result. And you certainly don't need any fancy tools or processes in PS, you can render with just a round brush. I think it's better to learn through self discovery than to follow some set process you were given.
>>
>>2289146
I definitely agree with self discovery, I just would like to know more about what certain functions do. For another example, I had some friends show me how masking works a few months ago. They only had to walk me through it twice and now I use them all the time, even in ways they didn't show me because once I understood what was happening I was able to experiment it in a meaningful way. Last night I was painting something and messing with layer modes to see how I could go about colorizing something that way, and I had to give up and just flatten it and paint it manually because I couldn't predict what was going to happen with the next color I put down and couldn't make sense of it. Not that I'm against painting things manually, it's just that there are really some technical aspects of using the program I think would be better for me to actually understand so I can explore my options.
>>
File: aj_inspo.jpg (41 KB, 666x764) Image search: [Google]
aj_inspo.jpg
41 KB, 666x764
https://roccobandito.artstation.com/

Aiming to get good enough to get TCG gigs. I know I got a ton of stuff to work on before I can get work like dynamic poses & enviroments, but I figure I'll throw my portfolio out there anyways.
>>
>>2289162
Oh hey I recognize your stuff, I talked to you about that Fuck! guy the other day. I don't suppose you have any recommended reading for learning about rendering and painting, do you anon?
>>
>>2289162
I would work on your application/understanding of color. Much of your work looks like you did a strong value painting and then a haphazard color layer on top, resulting in lots of oversaturated colors, weak hue variation, and that syndrome that can result from the color layer approach where highlights are always more saturated. It hurts some of your material definition and makes everything look metallic.
>>
>>2289016
>exposing yourself on /ic/
>>
>>2289162
Is an ArtStation portfolio free? I've been using the DeviantArt premium one. (www.artofjohnblaze.com)
>>
>>2289170
I remember liking Scott Robertson's stuff when I started. These days I don't have any real system though it's just studies and feeling the values.

>>2289175
thanks I'll try to work on color

>>2289182
yea. when I get some money I'll get a real site though. I'm about to go negative just from monthly bank fees haha
>>
>>2289180
what is the worse thing could happen?
>>
>>2289180
A lot of anons expose themselves on /ic/, can't hide behind anonymous forever with art.
>>
>>2289203
>I remember liking Scott Robertson's stuff when I started
Cool cool, I'll check him out, I've been looking at some other youtube artists recently too. Hopefully it can at least give me a starting point. Are you ever going to try doing that elegant dress I suggested?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.