[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outdoors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
Anybody have any experience with painting outside? What kind of setup do you use?
What did you have to buy and what can I get for cheap?
I'm looking to do some plein air pairings in one session.
Any help or tips are appreciated.
>>
>>2542250
I've done it a bit, though not recently.

Honestly the best thing to do is to do is gather the obvious things (portable stool, easel, brushes, paints, canvas etc) and then go out and do it. Then you will very quickly realize what you need or don't need. Like maybe you will go "oh fuck, I didn't bring any rags or paper towels with me" and you know to bring it next time. Or "crap, the wind keep blowing over my easel, I need a weight on it". "Fuck I'm thirsty in the summer heat, I should bring a water bottle". "Dammit, I don't have a way of transporting the wet finished painting easily without smearing oils over everything".

There's a lot of people who have written excellent blog posts listing all their preferences, but at the end of the day that's what works for them and may not work for you. Get outside, paint, fail, get frustrated, and figure out what things you find you will need to bring next time (or leave at home next time).

Also you don't need any fancy expensive pochade boxes or anything. You can build most yourself or just make do with cheap things and find solutions around things. For example you can stick the wooden end of your wet brushes into the ground so they stand up vertical and you don't need to hold them in your hand or use a fancy pochade box with holes in it for them.
>>
>>2542250

It depends on what you use; oils, watercolor, guache, acrylic etc

I paint with oils and I use a french easel and backpack to carry everything i need, though usually not too far from my car. My French easel is the easel and holds my palette and spare paints as well as lidded palette cups with my turp and my medium. My backpack has paper towels, trash bags, brushes, silicoil jar of turp, and spare medium. My medium is usually straight liquin

Nathan Fowkes and James Gurney both use watercolor and guache outside and their sets don't include any easel, but you can find it online at one of their blogs.
>>
>>2542250
Painting outside?? Do you mean virtual plenty air ??
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.