[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a mathematical formula for beauty?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: inshg.png (2 MB, 2504x964) Image search: [Google]
inshg.png
2 MB, 2504x964
Hard mode: no mentioning the golden ratio
>>
File: -17346.jpg (281 KB, 1553x722) Image search: [Google]
-17346.jpg
281 KB, 1553x722
>>2528512
Go ask the Muslims
>>
File: lindemayer systems.jpg (194 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
lindemayer systems.jpg
194 KB, 1024x724
>>2528512

>Is there a mathematical formula to beauty?

Short answer: Probably yes.

Here have something about pattern theory and how can it be used to make better user interfaces:

http://bridgesmathart.org/2012/cdrom/proceedings/20/paper_20.pdf

A bit more about pattern theory

http://www.csee.wvu.edu/~xinl/courses/ee565/MumfordICM2002.pdf

Generally study also tessallation and while it has meme status now, fractals. See L-systems and how thanks to them one can generate shapes of plants and trees which are generally pleasing to human eyes.

Waves (which are also beautiful) are described by II order partial differential equations. Flow separation often creates beautiful shapes too and it can be all modelled with the use of FEA fluid dynamics. Also cracks, though those all above things are strongly non-linear.

Soap bubbles also form shapes that can be mathematically described. Last but not least, mathematics of emergent systems is a thing.

tl;dr Yes, there are formulas to beauty, but you and probably rest of /ic/ are too much of a stupid faggot to bother at all.
>>
>>2528512
Yes, it's all the physics of things. Light, movement, anatomy, etc. If you can understand the science behind the world in front of our eyes, you can figure out how to create something beautiful.
>>
>>2528559

Also to add to this: what do you think Photoshop or any similar computer program makes? Digital art? Every one of those pieces is broken down into formulas so you can reverse or modify the process at every point.

And what are those "fundamentals" if not the recipes? If every shape as artists claim can be broken into ellipses, balls, cubes etc. it means that it can be studied by some interdisciplinary branch of topology.

Artists in schools, art courses and books try to find those formulas for beauty, ideally in most simplified form possible.

You should reach to other fields though. Psychology and anthropology (as well as street signs) tell us what colors alarm us and grab our attention. Knowledge of biology and how image is formulated in an eye can help you incorporate optical illusions in your art and make use of afterimages.
>>
File: RITL.png (1023 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
RITL.png
1023 KB, 1024x768
nope
>>
>>2528559
>tl;dr Yes, there are formulas to beauty, but you and probably rest of /ic/ are too much of a stupid faggot to bother at all.

t-thanks /sci/
>>
>>2529793

You can thank me by holding my brush and wetting it before I'll paint your face white you little queer you :-3
>>
>>2528512
There's a mathmatical formula for everything. I think it's proportion divided by genes plus aesthetic.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.