[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can a person be a good devout Christian while acknowledging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: generic.jpg.png (63 KB, 282x179) Image search: [Google]
generic.jpg.png
63 KB, 282x179
How can a person be a good devout Christian while acknowledging scientific fact that seems to contradict the Bible?
>>
>>998790
It just werks.
>>
>>998790
It was just a metaphor bro.
>>
they may "acknowledge" it doesnt mean they actually believe it
>>
apply christianity onto science
>>
>>998790
What "scientific fact" contradicts the Bible?

Protip: Evolution does not contradict Genesis. Even the Catholic Church acknowledges this.
>>
>>998836
Evolution doesn't contradict Genesis so long as you ignore Genesis.

Also the Bible says that insects have four legs and that rabbits chew cud. It's almost as if the Bible was utterly written by people the ignorant humans of the day rather than being divinely inspired.
>>
>>998790
How do you "contradict" metaphors and allegory?
>>
>>998848
>Evolution doesn't contradict Genesis so long as you ignore Genesis.
uh

>It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

>With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.

Is your idea of a devout christian a young-earth creationist?
>>
File: Augustine_of_Hippo.jpg (104 KB, 434x584) Image search: [Google]
Augustine_of_Hippo.jpg
104 KB, 434x584
>>998864
forgot pic
>>
>>998848
Forget evolution. Genesis tells us the sky is made of water and the earth's core is filled entirely with water. The sky and the ground are firments used to hold back the primordial water that everything is made form.
>>
>>998864
Remind me again how many DAYS it took for the Earth to be CREATED?
>>
>>998952
Fuck off, nigger.
>>
>>998790

By realizing that the Bible is, first and foremost, about God's relationship with humanity.

It was never meant to be historically accurate or scientifically accurate. In fact, most scholars of the Bible date the Exodus to during Ramses II's reign, instead of at least a thousand years earlier.

Also, evolution and religion were bros to begin with.
>>
>>998952
Why does it matter? You're strawmanning Christianity into what some retarded protestants think it is
>>
>>998972
what the scripture itself says isn't a strawman. just because most christians don't take a literal interpretation doesn't mean that the scripture wasn't intended to be literal
>>
>>998993
Who are you to say the scripture was intended to be literal?
>>
>>999002
what textual evidence is there that the creation account in genesis was intended to be a metaphor?
>>
>>998972
Dude, I'm not telling you to stop being a Christian. I'm just pointing out that the Bible is flawed. Because you recognize the Bible is flawed and allow your beliefs to change accordingly doesn't mean the Bible isn't flawed anymore. I respect you for using your good sense rather than strictly adhering to 7 Habits for Highly Effective Goat Herders.
>>
>>999015
Are you saying the talking snake is merely a talking snake?
>>
>>998790
I am a physics student at national university for physics and computer science, and I also have 12 years in 'religious studies' (Orthodox Christianity) as secondary/minor courses. And I live in a something like a 90% religious community, others being simply 'undecided' or however its called in English when you dont feel like answering.

Its like saying "how can people believe in evolution but not being pro eugenics". Well calm the fuck down you sperg. That's not how it 'works'. We just like our religion (Orthodoxy). Its just.. 'nice'. We like gathering around with family and friends and have a certain food that day. We like going to the church because its pretty and old Greek chanting most dont understand sounds nice to your ears. We 'like' burying our dead by putting them in a coffin and than in the ground (we dont like them being dead obviously but you get the point) instead of just throwing them to animals to eat them or throwing them in the field to fertilize plants.

Its called culture you autist. Its no big deal, we arent asked to cut our arms and legs, its just a ceremonial little thing we all do because its fun, and for some it also brings great spiritual pleasure too.

Not like we ever went crusading or burning people alive or what ever, so what's the big deal?? (lol, catholicism is heresy, find me where Jesus said you need a centralized political-militaristic-economical headquarters that should rule the world and make people say all their thoughts to it)
>>
>>999069
uh yes? the story of the talking snake in the garden is used to explain why snakes crawl on their bellies instead of walking. if it was a metaphor what reason is there for God to follow up with punishing snakes?
>>
>>998790
RICH.

METAPHORICAL.

SYMBOLISM.
>>
File: serveimage (1).jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
37 KB, 600x600
>>998790
If science proves a verse wrong, it is symbolical.
If not (yet), it is literal. Until science proves it wrong, then it becomes symbolical.
>tfw we're running out of verses
>>
>>999119
The literal interpretation of Genesis wasn't consensual as early as the 8th century, at least.
>>
>>999129
among christians. Jews always took it literally
>>
>>999119
LOL almost spilled my energy drink from TOP KEKKING so much

Well done, my good sir.
Very well done indeed.
>>
>>998852
Which denomination of Christian are you? Which parts of the bible are to be taken literally? How do the metaphors and allegories of the Bible apply to todays world?
>>
>>999237
Not that guy but I answered literally all of your questions, check >>999095.
>>
>>998836
The scientific method does. You kneed solid evidence or gtfo
>>
>>998790

cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>1001088
You don't need cognitive dissonance to be both religious and scientifically literate
>>
>>999241
Your answer is "just don't think about it too hard!" which is the opposite of an answer.
>>
IIRC 1 Corinthians 13:9
>>
>>999069
I've always thought that the talking snake was a metaphor for Eve being a lying bitch who can't get her hands off God's stuff. And Adam was stupid enough to believe it because 'dat pussi yo. So, Eve was banished for lying and Adam was banished for hedonism. And then the story became an orally-told meme that got into the Jewish folklore, and Moses thought it was true.
>>
This is simple. You can't. At best you can be delusional enough to think that you are related to Christianity somewhat. But that's all.
>>
You can't. Either you take Bible as the Truth or you just accept that you're not a real Christian. Science doesn't really mean anything.
>>
>>1001618
I should've picked his brain in regards to his theology, but my chem/biology/phys/earth science/damn near any science to be honest family teacher (one of the smartest men I've ever known) was a devout christian and it never conflicted with his lessons. From what I recall, the unsciency bits being metaphor was enough for him.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.