[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about Rene Guenon? Was he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: Guenon-author-pg-image-2.jpg (10 KB, 225x297) Image search: [Google]
Guenon-author-pg-image-2.jpg
10 KB, 225x297
What does /his/ think about Rene Guenon? Was he right?
>>
His features are 1.5x too large for his head.

Or is that a lifelike mask he's wearing, and there's really no face behind it?
>>
sigh, why are these guys all such total fucking flakies.
>>
>>995833
He is/was Neanderthalid.
>>
>>995829

He was an interesting figure for sure. You can still feel the 17th century rationalist influence on him even in his mature works. His brand of quasi-neoplatonic metaphysics mixed with his deep understanding of religious traditions make him worth reading. He made some solid critiques of modern civilization as well. Definitely the most intellectual of his movement.
>>
>>995853
Neanderthal had large brow ridges though?
>>
File: Neanderthal Amud.jpg (133 KB, 650x804) Image search: [Google]
Neanderthal Amud.jpg
133 KB, 650x804
>>995873
There were different kinds. Guenon in particular seems to descend from the Amud kind which was the more gracile kind of Neanderthal.
>>
>>995853
>>995878
FUCK

OFF

REI
>>
File: skulls.jpg (41 KB, 600x369) Image search: [Google]
skulls.jpg
41 KB, 600x369
>>995878
Those brow ridges still seem more prominent in the Neanderthal skull, and robust jaw.
>>
>>995884
1. Neanderthal =/= Neanderthalid.

I'm not claiming that Rene Guenon was a Neanderthal. Learn to read.

2. Obviously there will be physiological differences between individual specimens, just like with anything else.
>>
>>995891
I'm just going along with it, your the Rei fanboy who takes his nonsense at face value.
>>
>>995898
Stay ignorant.
>>
>>995904
(You) too
>>
>>995829
>Was he right?

No.
>>
Right about what?
>>
>>995837
These guys?
>>
>>995833
Nah he was a weird as fuck Neanderthal man. Which is weird considering how intelligent he was.
>>
File: Guenon.jpg (39 KB, 300x433) Image search: [Google]
Guenon.jpg
39 KB, 300x433
>>997277
Forgot pic.
>>
>>995878
>>995853
ah, that explains why he embraced such a primitive religion as islam
>>
he looks like he has a really deep voice
>>
>>997281
>>997277

Neandherthals were hardly stupid.
>>
>>997600
Sufism and Islam is like comparing Catholicism to Hermetic Qabalah
>>
File: guenon222.png (274 KB, 471x480) Image search: [Google]
guenon222.png
274 KB, 471x480
>>997281
why is he so weird looking holy shit
>>
>>997600
Typical Neanderthalid lifestyle (hunting, gathering, flesh-eating, tribalism, nomadism) is hardly compatible with Mohammedanism, and Mohammedanism, which comprises Islam, is hardly primitive.

You're an ignorant moron.
>>
kylo?
>>
he cheecks too long for he got dabn head
>>
I've only read his Crisis of the Modern World, and I don't see anything wrong with it except that I disagree with his emphasis on Catholicism in particular because I don't see why certain forms of Protestantism can't also be considered "traditional" in the European context. Also, he believed that converts to Eastern traditions could only ever be expected to create and embody a link between East & West, but I don't see why Europeans would have to settle for Catholicism if they became more attracted to Islam, Buddhism or other Eastern traditions, so long as these traditions were not of a modernist variety, it should be relatively easy to establish European cultures that follow these traditions on a large scale but still have continuity with that "Catholic spirit of Europe" in the same way that certain Protestant branches disagreed with Catholicism but nonetheless were still very much "Catholic" in their mindstate. His criticism of neo-paganism as vain attempts to revive dead traditions is pretty good as is his criticism of the modernist mindset

I just feel that his eschatological take on the "crisis" and his ideas for a solution, as he put forth in Crisis of the Modern World (I don't know to what degree his views changed after he converted to Sufi/Sunni Islam), do not really leave a whole lot of room open for the individual choices of Europeans as the way he seems to put it is "this was bound to happen" and with respect to the solution, it's almost like he's saying the European has no real say in what kind of society he or she wants Europe to be. What if one day the Europas decided "Hey, Guenon, you were right about the problem, but we don't feel like returning to Catholicism, we want to be X instead." Really, I feel like Hossein Nasr probably is much better at arguing for Guenon's traditionalist positions better than Guenon was, at least at the time of writing Crisis.
>>
>>1000275

I think one of his main reasons was the apostalistic succession in the Catholic Church. If you read up on Guenon's work on initiation he makes the case that genuine traditions have an unbroken line of teachers embued with genuine spiritual know how that came from their initiation into the organization and their teachers passing it on to them. Pre-Catholic religions don't have the continuity from a time when this actual sense of the sacred was still found in people to some degree to now. They are all re imaginings entirely. And post Catholic forms of Christianity don't have apostalistic succession or any sort of spiritual legitimacy due to their origins in modernist ideology and socio-political currents.

He obviously didn't think that the prospects for Catholicism were that hopeful though since he converted to Islam.
>>
>>1000275
>>1001340
Did he ever write about Eastern Orthodoxy?
>>
>>1001340
>He obviously didn't think that the prospects for Catholicism were that hopeful though since he converted to Islam.

The thing is his conversion to Islam does not contradict his ideas laid out in The Crisis. He points out that Eastern traditions can serve a very important purpose in revitalizing the religious spirit of Europe in two ways:

1. The more pure state of the Eastern traditions could remind Catholics of what they themselves have lost and cause them to thus look inward towards their own faith

2. Converts to the Eastern traditions within the West as a minority form of a vital bridge between the traditional East & West

But within The Crisis, he makes a point that the Eastern traditions could only assume these roles and that converts to Eastern traditions from the West could never be expected to revitalize the West themselves. And I'm not sure if his conversion to Islam necessarily means he rejected this view since he took up residence in Cairo after his conversion and proceeded to teach there. Also, even many of those who continue his school of thought, like Hossein Nasr, tend to emphasize the need for Europe to return to its Christian roots more than its need to convert to one of the many Eastern traditions.
>>
File: rene-guenon.jpg (19 KB, 245x360) Image search: [Google]
rene-guenon.jpg
19 KB, 245x360
>>995829
>>997281
>>997681

Guenon was one of the most butt ugly fuckers I've ever seen.

He looks absolutely cadaverous. He looks just like how I imagine a nazi mad scientist straight out of a comic book would look like.
>>
>>1002581
good post, thanks
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.