[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to talk about Byzantium /his/. Specifically Justinian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 20160324000232_1.jpg (555 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160324000232_1.jpg
555 KB, 1920x1080
I want to talk about Byzantium /his/.
Specifically Justinian and Belisarius.
Were they cucks? Was the reconquest justified? Nika riots?
Give me what youve got.
>>
File: can't fedora the Theodora.jpg (279 KB, 800x1038) Image search: [Google]
can't fedora the Theodora.jpg
279 KB, 800x1038
>>995341
>Were they cucks?
Maybe Belisarius, I highly doubt Justinian was
>Was the reconquest justified?
Yes, the Empire doesn't reconquer itself you know
>Nika riots?
Rebels got fucked and Theodora proved she had bigger metaphorical balls than Justinian
>>
>>995387
>Reconquest
How about in terms of lasting value though? The only thing gained from it really was a permanent presence in Southern Italy, everything else was lost.
Would it have been possible in another scenario to keep hold of the conquests instead of losing them so quickly?
>>
>>995387
Depends on your concept of "cuck". Justinian married an ex-whore so, in my book, he's a cuck.
>>
>>995416
Supposed ex-whore, if you believe Procopius.
How much of his secret history are we to believe? He wrote it while pretty pissed and its quite clear most of the work is at the very least exaggerated.
>>
>>995409
No, the plague of Justinian fucked everything. That in Combination with the Persian invasion made it pretty much impossible to hold on to the conquests. In fact the conquests contributed to the steep decline Byzantium went in to.
>>
File: seems legit.png (126 KB, 2334x302) Image search: [Google]
seems legit.png
126 KB, 2334x302
>>995429

Nonsense, this is clearly an completely grounded historical work
>>
>>995586
That's completely correct
>>
>>995564
>>995429
Ill never forget, when talking about Procopius, my History professor stated that he never knew someone could use a doorknob in so many ways.
Gave me a laugh
>>
Where are the Veniceboos?
>>
>>995770
And people say the Greeks were sneaky and conniving
>>
>>995776
"Dandolo's first important political roles were during the crisis years of 1171 and 1172. In March 1171 the Byzantine government had seized the goods of thousands of Venetians living in the Empire, and then imprisoned them all. Popular demand forced the doge to gather a retaliatory expedition, which however fell apart when struck by the plague early in 1172. Dandolo had accompanied the disastrous expedition against Constantinople led by Doge Vitale Michiel during 1171-1172. Upon returning to Venice, Michiel was killed by an irate mob, but Dandolo escaped blame and was appointed as an ambassador to Constantinople in the following year, as Venice sought unsuccessfully to arrive at a diplomatic settlement of its disputes with Byzantium. Renewed negotiations begun twelve years later finally led to a treaty in 1186, but the earlier episodes seem to have created in Enrico Dandolo a deep and abiding hatred for the Byzantines."

Dandolo did nothing wrong
>>
>>995778
The East West issues go far further back than the massacre of the Latins and the confiscation of merchant goods.
Attrocities came on both sides, namely after the massacre of the Latins when the Normans (iirc) came into Thessalonki and killed every living thing.
>>
>>995791
Venice was allied with the Byzantines during the war that included the sacking of Thessaloniki by the Normans
>>
>>995800
I cant seem to find any concrete info on this but I doubt thats true. The massacre of Latins was in 1182, and a reconciliation agreement was reached in 1186.
The sack happened in 1185, between the two events.
Regardless, my point being still stands that there were numerous atrocities committed on both sides (Latins and Byz) that led to the sack of Constantinople. Both sides were certainly at fault.
That said, Im still of the opinion that the sack of Constantinople was by no means justified, and was absolutely a conniving power grab made by the Venetians without regard to its repercussions.
>>
File: 1460423185303.jpg (50 KB, 637x826) Image search: [Google]
1460423185303.jpg
50 KB, 637x826
>>995844
>>
>>995848
>mfw a blind man needs sunglasses
>>
>>995852
>mfw no face
>>
>>995844
>That said, Im still of the opinion that the sack of Constantinople was by no means justified, and was absolutely a conniving power grab made by the Venetians without regard to its repercussions.
I think you're applying modern morals to historical events buddy.
What does it even mean that it was a conniving power grab? They were at war, and the loser got rekt.
Besides, the venetians didn't want to destroy the city, the franks did that. The venetian occupied areas were only robbed, no desecrations or undue violence upon the locals happened. And it was the byzs themselves that noted that, go read Choniates.
>>
>>995429
>Supposed ex-whore, if you believe Procopius.
It's not only Procopius that says that. Her origins were commented upon by 13th and 14th century authors, who most likely did not know of the Secret History.
I mean yeah Procopius wasn't very reliable and it's unlikely that Theodora left her body during the night to wander around like a demon, but she probably was a former courtesan.
>>
>pausing a game

immersion gone
>>
>>997118
pausing games where you control more than 1 char is micromanaging heaven you n00b, only way to play strategy desu, play Diablo if you want another experience.
>>
>>995416
>Justinian married an ex-whore so, in my book, he's a cuck.
Well you made that definition up so no, he's not a cuck. You're kind of an idiot though.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.