[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did shirts and pants (and dress variations thereof) become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15
File: celtic_irish_leine_10.jpg (369 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
celtic_irish_leine_10.jpg
369 KB, 2048x1536
How did shirts and pants (and dress variations thereof) become the only proper menswear?

Clothing like pic related has the following advantages over shirt and pants I can think of:
-objectively more comfortable
-easier to produce
-one size fits most
-comfortable for 3 seasons
-Good leg coverage for walking in brush
-Gives good sun protection, and is cooler than long pants and long sleeve shirt
-underwear optional

The only significant disadvantages that I can think of is:
-Could get stuck in heavy machinery
>>
It looks dumb. That's why.
>>
>>989728
>It looks dumb to me, a modern human being who grew up not wearing clothing like that
>Therefore it looked dumb to our ancestors, who wore clothing like that

Your post looks dumb
>>
>>989720
need to ride dem horses bruv
>>
>>989720

Uses up a fuckton of materials.
>>
>>989760
That makes sense, sort of. People rode horses way before the shift to "definitely no man-skirts/dresses" attitude happened.

I'm asking about what brought that about.

I would guess that it's going be just another "male fashion mimics military dress" scenario, but still, why did militaries stop wearing man skirts?
>>
>>989772
It seems like the shift happened after the point where textiles began to boom, after the Columbian exchange happened?

That doesn't seem like a reasonable argument, either.
>>
Anglos.
>>
>>989777
The Roman army got filled with trouser wearing barbarians like Germans and Sarmatians
>>
>>989760

Men wore robes well into the middle ages. Shorter, more tailored jackets only come in around the middle of the 14th century.
>>
>>989720
the eternal anglo is at fault
>>
Try fucking running in a dress and pants. And then try putting on plate armour over those rags.
>>
>>989796
>Try fucking running in a dress and pants.
I do that a lot, actually. I often wear a kilt+tights to run. Easier than running in trousers.
>And then try putting on plate armour over those rags.
I don't understand your argument here at all.
>>
>>989720
You ever try being further north wearing a robe? you'd freeze your balls off. pants were just a better insulator than robes. And when the northern tribes started to take over the collapsing roman empire, because it was their norm, it became everyone's norm as well.
>>
>>989796

You put the armour on under the robe.
>>
>>989810
>>
>>989807
This is the real reason as far as I can tell. What sucks is that pants are pretty dreadful in warmer climates.
>>
File: Sapeur7.jpg (115 KB, 638x440) Image search: [Google]
Sapeur7.jpg
115 KB, 638x440
>>989823
It's really strange that Western dress has just become the standard even in equatorial Africa. You think that at a certain latitude, people would say "no fuck this shit, I'm wearing my traditional man-dress," but they don't.

What's to blame, boys?
>>
>>989841
The west, just like every problem the world has had.
>>
>>989841

Fashion, basically. All the rich, successful businessmen dress in suits, so everyone who wants to be a rich and successful dresses in a suit, no matter how inappropriate.
>>
>>989720
>LĂ©ine
>White

Disgusting

It's yellow you silly fuck

Also shoes are for nerds
>>
>>989841
Because the meme won't die. Suits are seen as the most respectable form of dress a man can war and even casual clothing often imitates the look, like polo shirts and slacks.

Also for some of these hot as balls 3rd world countries, like parts of Africa and the Philippines, stubbornly holding onto your native garb was probably going to impede your social mobility. If you wanted a good job and to rub shoulders with wealthy people you wore a suit.
>>
>>989852
>Peasant
>Being able to afford saffron dyes
No, it's supposed to be naturally colored.

>>989851
Why don't rich, successful businessmen wear robes?
>>
>>989866

Because over the course of the last 600 years, western formal clothing has slowly morphed from robes to suits, changing slightly over time. If you lay them side by side you can actually see what each generation of fashion gives to the next.
>>
>>989866

Also you don't need saffron to dye cloth yellow. Weld will do the job just as well. Even onion skills depending on the water and container you use.
>>
>>989866
They didn't actually use Saffron. They'd probably never even heard of Saffron.

In Irish they're usually called "geal" which means yellow or bright.
>>
File: il_570xN.840511170_8ce5.jpg (60 KB, 400x612) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.840511170_8ce5.jpg
60 KB, 400x612
Can confirm in mediterranean countries this is the shit. It's so comfy plus east to out on over a speedo after swimming
>>
>>989909
Easy*put* Samsungs autocorrect is just terrible, it always changes actual words to something else
>>
>>989912
Dude, I know. Recently, I had a doctors' appointment, I texted my mom that I was being tested for "ankylosing appendicitis."

In the next 5 minutes I got ten texts from my mom saying "do you need surgery? Did you already get your appendix removed?"
>>
>>989841
Some men of high status wear traditional clothing.
>>
File: AmaXhosa King Mpendulo Sigcawu.jpg (89 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
AmaXhosa King Mpendulo Sigcawu.jpg
89 KB, 800x532
>>989933
In the Congos? I know that it's true in SA, among tribal leaders.
>>
>>989946
Just imagine being this man.

>I have a press conference today, make sure to move my golden throne next to wherever Jacob Zuma is sitting, and prepare a couple warriors to sing my praises before I enter. Inform my wives I will be having sex with three of them directly afterwards.

And we think Europe is non-cucked.
>>
>>989728
Pants looked inherently stupid to the Romans
>>
>>990568
>>989946
Do you think they realize how stupid everyone else in the world thinks they look?
>>
>>990620
>stupid
>implying
>>
>>990620
besides the modern shoes the man looks like a straight up G
>>
I'll become a Parisian celebrity and bring back the classical robe. Just you watch.
>>
ctrl+f: eternal anglo
1 result
yep
>>
>>990620
Better being memorable then being forgettable. A joke either way but at least the former gets noticed and looks cooler.
>>
File: 20111228124432.jpg (94 KB, 415x650) Image search: [Google]
20111228124432.jpg
94 KB, 415x650
>>989720
Scots are always one step ahead
>>
>>989841
Arabs do, which is respectable for once of them. I think its hard to deny that a suit and tie just looks smart though, to literally any culture.
>>
>>991365
ties are ridiculous. ascotts are better, but the middle class can't into them.
>>
>>991365
Ties are the devil's plaything, fuck ties. Suits are cool though.
>>
>>989861
>Also for some of these hot as balls 3rd world countries, like parts of Africa and the Philippines, stubbornly holding onto your native garb was probably going to impede your social mobility.
That doesn't explain everything though. Even ANTICOLONIAL and post-independence "national" dress was modeled more on Western clothing than native clothing. Look at the Abacost, Nehru Jacket, Kariba suit etc
>>
>>990649
Holy shit, he's doing the african equivalent of flashing wads of cash
>>
File: hatersgonnahate.jpg (111 KB, 543x600) Image search: [Google]
hatersgonnahate.jpg
111 KB, 543x600
>>
>>989720
Warm balls.
>>
>>991365
>Ties look smart
>Wearing a useless strip of fabric just because everyone else is doing it looks smart.
>>
>>991486
>useless
>allows you to easily perform suicide at any given location
>>
>>989739
This.
>>
>>991476
why is he wearing a brown trash bag
>>
File: crap_simons.png (480 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
crap_simons.png
480 KB, 750x500
contemporary fashion is much better

don't forget to buy new clothes every year to maintain the appearance of being self-conscious of your appearance (other people like that)
>>
File: zimbabwe currency wheelbarrow.jpg (123 KB, 613x408) Image search: [Google]
zimbabwe currency wheelbarrow.jpg
123 KB, 613x408
>>991467
The African equivalent of flashing wads of cash is flashing wheelbarrows of cash.
>>
>>989720
The industrial revolution changed everything.
>>
>celtic irish
>all those mountains

Yeah no.
>>
>>994987
Probably refers to the style of the robe, rather than the location the photo was taken.
>>
File: 1445897888198.jpg (32 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1445897888198.jpg
32 KB, 480x320
>People here are trashing ties
Absolutely pleb
A straight tie is there to emphasize your dick. It's literally an arrow pointing right to your dick which says "Eyes down here ladies"
You ever had a chick grab your tie and pull you in for a kiss? Chicks love suits and ties. It reminds them of daddy.
If you aren't wearing ties you aren't doing it right.
>>
>>989728

It only looks dumb because you look at people in shirts and pants every day, you moron.
>>
>>995120

That is all well and good, but why should I care about women?
>>
>>995120
>. It's literally an arrow pointing right to your dick which says "Eyes down here ladies"

It's literally a snug collar around your neck with a complementary leash.
>>
>>995150
Yes and a belt is a tourniquet with complimentary blood flow restriction to the legs.
A tie is no different than an ascot, or a scarf. It's a fancy scarf with complimentary sex appeal and professionalism
>>
>>991522
he watched too many lady gaga videos
>>
>Woman fashion is incredibly varied in colors, types of clothes, types of fabrics and more. There's even thousand of different styles for the same piece of clothing.
>And on top of that they can use guy clothes

Meanwhile all guys have are pants and shirts for casual wear and suits for formal wear. Shit is so unfair.

Fashion Liberation Movement when?
>>
File: spats erika mahouka.png (437 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
spats erika mahouka.png
437 KB, 800x450
>>989802
I hope this is not what you mean when you say tights.
>>
>>989912
>>989917
Can't you just turn it off?
>>
>>995229
>erika mahouka
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.