[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reportedly crowned while in utero >reigned for over 70
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: shapur_II_head.jpg (34 KB, 382x572) Image search: [Google]
shapur_II_head.jpg
34 KB, 382x572
>reportedly crowned while in utero
>reigned for over 70 fucking years
>defeated multiple Roman Emperors
>reign coincides with the Sassanids first great Golden Age

Tell me about this man, /hist/.
>>
>>987913
I'll give you a bump but I'm so weak in later Persian history got any good reads
>>
>>987913
Here you go
>reportedly crowned while in utero
>reigned for over 70 fucking years
>defeated multiple Roman Emperors
>reign coincides with the Sassanids first great Golden Age
>>
>>987919
Sassanid Persia: Rise and Fall of an Empire by Touraj Daryaee

And thanks
>>
>>987919
http://sasanika.org/

Also a nice resource

>>987928
Ha
>>
>>987913
>At the mere age of "16", he decides to initiate a proper war with the Arabs who have been constantly raiding and pillaging the empire's border towns and outposts from their lands across the Persian Gulf.
>He goes to al-Khatt, a provincial area between modern Bahrain and Qatar. Fucker then attacked the Banu Tamim in Hajar mountains by sieging it.
>Shapur II reportedly killed a large number of the Arab population and destroyed their water supplies by stopping their wells with sand.
>Supposedly he killed so many Arab men that's why he was nicknamed "Dhū al-aktāf" which literally translate as "he who pierces shoulders"
>Seeking to further pacify neighboring Arab tribes and settlements; he created a WALL at al-Hira to block direct movements of the tribes from crossing over back across the land directly
>This became known as the "Wall of the Arabs"

Also according to Tabari, Shapur II managed his march with his army into the deserts by using his navy to act as a lifeline for logistics and feeding/watering his men. Guy was a genius.
>>
File: 明太祖 (1).jpg (212 KB, 412x520) Image search: [Google]
明太祖 (1).jpg
212 KB, 412x520
>>988070

>he created a WALL at al-Hira to block direct movements of the tribes from crossing over back across the land directly
>This became known as the "Wall of the Arabs"

What is with leaders who make their country great again always builds a wall?
>>
>>988314
Gotta keep them malcontents from entering your country to make it prosperous man.
>>
File: 1428528473012.jpg (89 KB, 365x461) Image search: [Google]
1428528473012.jpg
89 KB, 365x461
Bump
>>
Based Persians. Also: Arabs. Not even once.
>>
ITT butthurt zoroastrians

you guys are basically the neopagans of persia

OP: http://www.easybib.com/cite/results?source=book&provider=&cite-style=mla7&query=sassanid
>>
Daryaee, Touraj. Sasanian Iran (224-651 CE): Portrait of a Late Antique Empire. DS286 .D373 2008
Dignas, Beate and Engelbert Winter. Rome and Persia in Late Antiquity: Neighbours and Rivals. DS286 .D54 2007

Drinkwater, John F. The "catastrophe" of 260: towards a more favorable assessment of the emperor Valerian I. RSA 19 (1989) 123-135. [63-11960

Mackintosh, M.C. Roman Influences on the Victory Reliefs of Shapur I of Persia. CSCA 6 (1973) 181-203.

Sartre, Maurice, trans. Catherine Porter and Elizabeth Rawlings. The Middle East Under Rome. 2005. DS62.25 .S3713 2005

Stolte, B.H. The Roman emperor Valerian and Sapor I, king of Persia. RSA 1 (1971) 157-162. [42-10693
>>
>>989856
What the fuck are you babbling about?
>>
>crowned while in utero
Christ. How did the mother survive?
>>
>>990460
The legend is they put the crown on TOP of her pregnant belly. But most people actually believe since determining a baby's sex accurately while still in the womb would be impossible for the Grandeese/Wuzargan to know.

Historical belief was that Shapur II was already born recently as a 2 week old infant and crowned since his gender was known and the timing fits with his cousin's fleeing to Byzantine.
>>
File: Sassanid_Crowns.jpg (182 KB, 595x980) Image search: [Google]
Sassanid_Crowns.jpg
182 KB, 595x980
>>987913
>>990460
Persian monarchs have always had the best crowns.
>>
>>990460
It's more dangerous when crowning doesn't happen in utero.
>>
>>991157
holy shit, fucking based.
Bahram 1 or bahram iv the best
>>
>>991451
Kavad I's is my favorite
>>
>>990460
thanks for the mental image
>>
>>987913
Who was the most effective Sassanid ruler against the Romans/Byzantines?
>>
File: slutty loli.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
slutty loli.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>990460
>>
>>987919
>later
>>
>>995472

Shapur I. Kicked the ass of three Roman emperors in immediate succession and kept two of them as wall-hangings, putting him well above any other ruler who ever fought the Romans.
>>
>>995558
What about Kavad I and Khosrau I?
>>
>>995574

>Kavad

fought Anastasius, Justin I, and Justinian, but never conclusively defeated any of them.

>Khosrau

fought Justinian and Justin II with more effect than Kavad and conquered Antioch which was p. cool, but did not conclusively defeat either of them in the field

>Shapur

kicked Gordian's ass and sent Philip packing back to Rome. After a ten year break from plundering the assholes of Roman scum, proceeded to trick the motherfucking shit out of Valerian and kept him as a slave/trophy for the rest of his bitch ass life

Shapur: 3
Atheists: 0
>>
>>995624
Was it Khosrau I who exacted a huge amount of money from the Byzantines in turn not to fight them any more and got paid to also keep the forts and outposts in the Caucasus and Eurasia?

Also what about a certain Shapur II who constantly won battles against the Byzantines but simply failed to capture a lot of territory?
>>
>>995651

I mean as far as territory goes, hardly any of the Sasanids conquered jackshit. Neither side was ever able to make any substantive gains of land, even at its height Rome never held anything past the Tigris and the Sasanids eventually pretty much destroyed themselves by trying to hold territory past the Euphrates. Shapur II's only significant victory over Roman opposition was against Julian, whose Persian campaign was Mark Antony-level retarded. His war with Constantius was a stalemate.
>>
>>995685
*Certain* ones took Armenia and Iberia for decades from the Romans/Byzantines, anon.

>Shapur II's only significant victory over Roman opposition was against Julian
Constantine II as well, you forgotten him, anon.
>whose Persian campaign was Mark Antony-level retarded
It wasn't.
>>
>>995685
I thought Julian got undone by bad luck and Shapur II organizing a really effective defense and getting spear chucked by an Arab/Saracen levy was what ended the Roman offense?

I don't think he fucked up like Antony or Crassus in terms of strategy and he seemed a lot more prepared to fight the Sassanids then either of those two chuckleheads.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.