[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking from Bussiness admin to polysci because I suck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: why go to college.jpg (297 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
why go to college.jpg
297 KB, 700x500
I'm thinking from Bussiness admin to polysci because I suck at math? What do you people do with your liberal arts degrees?

Like I'm terrible at math. I already have my math course for polysci filled.
>>
>>981333
Lib arts degrees are pretty garbage. Knew a chick with an art history major end up working at Christies AUctions of London. She basically researches and qualifies the provenance of various rare auction items.

I know another who used his army money to get a liberal arts degree. He was a former 75th Ranger. Ended up unemployed. Went into contracting and makes 6 figures defending nouns in foreign countries.

So pickings are slim.
>>
>>981333
The left is 1 out 100 dropout persons become like the guy in the pic , the right are 40 out 60 persons become like the girl in the pic., not hard for a choice.
>>
>>981363
yeah right, try 1 in 10000 for the left.
>>
>>981333
Someone get that creepy naked woman off that poor guy's back.
>>
>>981333

>getting a liberal arts degree

kek.
>>
>>981333
>terrible at math
I'm sorry anon, but if you're not intelligent, you are just going to fail at life. Better commit suicide.
>>
>>981407
>>981399
I get As in history and I'm considering law school
>>
>>981338
How about quoting some tangible evidence rather than shitty blog tier anecdotes

http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/wdgd_engineering_2015.pdfhttp://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/wdgd_arts_humanities_2015.pdf

6 months after graduating engineers are on average a meagre 5% more likely to be employed than lib arts students (~70% vs ~75%). Not really something worth reconsidering a degree about

So your post was ignorant and a bit stupid. But 4chan is worse than the most STEM infested subreddits when it comes to its comprehension of university degrees and the job market so I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything less
>>
Here's my thinking on this.

If you're smart, diligent, motivated, and charismatic, you will be successful. Don't worry about business vs polisci vs engineering vs carpentry vs medicine, because as long as you put in time and effort you will eventually triumph.

Time for the cold hard fact of the matter though... Are you really smart, diligent, motivated and charismatic? Dude, probably not. Very few people are, and most people delude themselves into thinking otherwise. When asked to rate themselves at any given skill or trait, it is very rare for people to given themselves a rating below average or above average.

Here you are, admitting you're bad at math and looking to us to validate your desire to quit the track you're on for something easier. Even if you're bad at math, just put in the fucking work man. For Christ's sake show some effort.

All of this said... if you are NOT among those few fortunate folks who are truly exceptional, you can hedge your bets. You are more likely to succeed in the current world with a certain set of skills. Study engineering, computer science, or go to trade school for welding, electrical work, construction, or mechanics. Take pre-med courses and become a nurse, physician, or physician's assistant. If you have already graduated with a degree and it has not brought you success, pivot and apply to grad school or learn a completely new skill outright.

Research the job market. There is an oversaturation of lawyers, and unfortunately the most you can hope for in the liberal arts without distinguished graduate experience or the aforementioned intelligence, charisma, and diligence is a pretty rote role for some company.
>>
>>981489
What? from the documents you posted the humanities average in the 40-50 percent of "employed in the UK"
>>
>>981489
>Link not found
Regardless, we all know that Engineers are far better payed than most liberal arts students (despite the wide connotations of "liberal arts"), and (however small the difference is) are certainly more likely to get a job.
That shouldnt be what completely influences you in your degree though. Get your degree in something you want to learn about. If you go engineering and you hate math, youre going to hate your career anyways.
Coming from a Mechanical Engineering and History double major, just my thoughts.
>>
>>981489
Employment rate alone isn't the best statistic. Consider WHERE people get employed. The stereotype of liberal art students graduating and working at coffee shops is real for a reason. Additionally, consider not only the difference in employment rate but also salary, stability, and benefits.

That said, you're right about the STEM autism towards the humanities. However, let's be honest with ourselves. You're fucking joking if you think liberal art degrees can compete with STEM degrees for employment and compensation in today's economy.

I've always loved the humanities. I study history, adore art, and read and write. But I studied mechanical engineering and work as an engineer. DESU the liberal arts aren't complete without a STEM component, and it's easier to balance out a formal STEM education with self-study in the humanities than vice versa.
>>
File: 1460468907491.jpg (232 KB, 802x802) Image search: [Google]
1460468907491.jpg
232 KB, 802x802
Anyone have a geography or similar degree here? I too struggle with math, currently doing a Geographic Science degree because I thought it would play to my strengths (I'm more of a history/humanities guy), and not be totally unemployable. I've heard the true key to success is doing what you're good at. I'm enjoying it so far, gonna do a concentration in GIS. Maybe someday even try and get hired to do some archaeology.
>>
>>981525
GIS is based, you'll be fine. Just hedge your bets with a computer science minor or something, get a job where you get valuable experience, and think about going to grad school after a few years of exposure to the job market.
>>
>>981525
Or remote sensing/geology if you want to fuse GIS with archaeology.
>>
File: 1456634167497.png (3 KB, 277x271) Image search: [Google]
1456634167497.png
3 KB, 277x271
>>981523
>is real for a reason
>>
desu I wouldn't bother with a liberal arts degree unless

1) You actually have some sort of plan with what you're going to do with it. Whether that be going into academia or otherwise.
2) You're going to a top tier school. A BA in History from East Bumfuck University will impress exactly no one.
>>
>>981573
>2)

You could realistically say that about any degree or program.
>>
>>981580
At least a stem program will get you some real job training though. An IT degree from a similarly ranked school would probably get you a not so glamorous entry position at least. The same can't be said for the humanities.
>>
>>981550
https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Unemployment.Final_.update1.pdf

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/current_issues/ci20-1.pdf

or whatevr
>>
>>981532
Trying to graduate in 3 years, (wrapping up my freshman year in a couple weeks) so I can't fit in a CS minor or anything like that, but I plan to learn python on my own time.

>>981539
Taking a remote sensing class next semester, looking forward to it.
>>
>>981592
Even taking some programming courses will do the trick. If you know C++, you can put it on your resume and use it in the workplace just like you would any other traditional language.
>>
>>981573
>Whether that be going into academia
How do you even go into academia. It's my dream job but I don't want to be chasing a white whale.
>>
>>981609
>chasing a white whale.
after typing tht I'm pretty sure it's not the right expression.
>>
>>981609
Have a genuine passion for the field you're going into, rub shoulders, make friends with important people, do good work, etc. It's just like getting a decent job in the private sector. Maybe more politicking and drama though if the grad student stories I've heard are any indication.
>>
>I suck at math

Then get better faggot. What, you think most engineers are just born with some innate gift in mathematics? You think you're just genetically predisposed to be bad at math? Fucking work at it. If you're really as smart as you think you are, a little bit of discipline and a lot of bit of practice will go a long way.
>>
>>981774
Thats not how it works. If you dont like math you dont like math buddy. Cant change that.
I would assume thats where OPs problem comes from.
>>
File: 1454153218399.jpg (85 KB, 900x604) Image search: [Google]
1454153218399.jpg
85 KB, 900x604
>>981333
What are the stats of an architect?
>>
I wanted to go into archaeology or paleontology, but that shit is super competitive and hard to find employment. So I went the healthcare route.
>>
>>981845
>it was going to be hard so i didn't try

I don't know if I like this line of thinking.
>>
>>981855

Well I went into another hard field, with less risk.
>>
>>981774
>>981791
You can develop skill in math and learn to appreciate it! I was always interested in math, but average to poor at it and would frequently become frustrated. But I persisted, and in college I made a point to take at least one math class each semester and diligently apply myself in order to better myself and make myself more well rounded. Largely due to the encouragement of one of my math professors, I ended up getting a degree in mechanical engineering and minoring in math and chemistry.
>I originally applied to college intending to major in creative writing and anthropology
Just keep at it. It's like running, it's hard and sucks at first but you learn to like it and sooner or later you look forward to it and you learn to run faster and further.

>>981835
NOT GOOD. Some of the highest unemployment rates of any major, seriously. Go look this shit up.
>>
>>981338
>I know another who used his army money to get a liberal arts degree. He was a former 75th Ranger. Ended up unemployed.

Why not just become an officer at that point?
Im just a pog reservist and going to ROTC next year while working on a philosophy degree.
>>
>>981363
>1 in 100 college dropouts become billionaires

Alright
>>
>>981416
Oh hold up guys, this guy's considering law school
>>
Should I choose a joint honours War Studies and History BA course (slightly higher grades to get into course), or just a History BA at a different university with slightly lower grades
>>
Being a wage slave for two years after college makes me better understand how easy it would be to start killing the rich during a revolution.

Fuck em
>>
>>981333
Political "science" is a clown degree. Women's studies is literally more legitimate as an academic discipline.
>>
>>981333
Math isn't hard you retards. It's 90% putting shit into equations, even in calc. It's only in things like real analysis and above when you need to think.
>>
>>982439
>I'm a failure because of my own choices
>let's kill the rich!!
>>
>>981416
Holy shit As in history. Everyone just give up now.
>>
File: aynrand.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
aynrand.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
Economics
>>
>>981416
get a load of Herodotus ova here
>>
>implying you need to be remotely decent at math to get a degree in Business Administration

Nigga, I hate math with a passion and I got a degree in Computer Science. Step it up you fucking pansy.
>>
Major in what you seriously enjoy and want to study, or you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>982651
>>983088
Well not just history but literature, polysci, Spanish. I see it that if I change my major to a liberal arts major I can get a high enough GPA to get into a good law school.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.