[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trajan's Column
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Symmacharii-- Scene XXIV.jpg (481 KB, 1920x970) Image search: [Google]
Symmacharii-- Scene XXIV.jpg
481 KB, 1920x970
Why would they build such a beautiful piece of detailed art, and then place it on a huge pedestal in the middle of an open forum so high up that no one could see shit?
>>
>>980587
I'm pretty sure he knew we'd be looking at it in the future
>>
it's was painted and wasn't on a huge pedestal in an open forum, it was inside a building with different levels
>>
>>980588

Jokes on you I'm not looking at it ahahaha faggot
>>
French archaeologist Paul Veyne notes, the relief could be read "vertically" from below, with the figure of the emperor recognizable across the bands of images—just as, on the Colonne Vendôme, Napoleon's figure can be picked up, scene after scene. Additionally, the two libraries surrounding it provided platforms from which to observe the Column if the viewer stood on the top floors, making the complete view of frieze much more visible.

>>980605
no
>>
>>980587
It's for the gods. The same reason there is detailed art on top of inacessible cathedral towers.
>>
>>980587

What better way of showing off your power and wealth than creating art that every knows is there, but will never fully see properly?
>>
>>980613
It was painted and originally it was flanked by two libraries which acted as viewing platforms for it
>>
>>980655
>>980685
Not sure if true or not, but there is a powerful psychological basis for this. There are certain things which is not given to the common man to touch or even behold, without profanating it. There was fine art inside Egyptian tombs and the holy of holies in the temple of Solomon, into which no man was allowed to enter. All the fine art inside Versailles was shut from the public before the French revolution. It was just another conception of art than the modern one.
>>
people were taller back then
>>
>>980916
Not really, the average Roman was 1,60 meters tall on average
>>
>>981006
Actually this is a common misconception. The average roman was actually 1,600 meters tall, or 1.60 KILOmeters.

The real question is why they would make so art so small they would have needed magnification to have seen it.
>>
>>980587

Because it wasn't made for the consumption of viewing plebs. It was made to show off how Trajan could commission something ridiculously expensive and stick it up in the city somewhere.
>>
>>981068

Except that's wrong because its the Roman Senate that commisioned the column in honor of Trajan.
>>
>>980701
Yes so you are still wrong it wasnt inside a building. Evidence it was painted?
>>
>>980587
There were two amazing public libraries on either side of it with balconies from which you could see most of it.
>>
>>982601

>Implying the senate of that period of the empire was anything more than the imperator's puppet party.
>>
>>982855
ISIStianity rises
Libraries disappear
Sounds right.
>>
File: I8yYHA4.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
I8yYHA4.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>983184
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.