[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The long awaited sequel to the start with the greeks guide.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: rome 1.jpg (3 MB, 4800x3834) Image search: [Google]
rome 1.jpg
3 MB, 4800x3834
The long awaited sequel to the start with the greeks guide.
>>
>>980331
bump
>>
>>980331
Mind posting the start with the Greeks pic?
>>
>>980331
>No Heather or Goldsworth
0/10
>>
>>980850
>>961186
>>974811
>>
What's wrong with Gibbon's work on the Romans?
>>
>>980870
thanks
>>
>>980331

>metamorphosis
>not ovid's pussy crushing guide aka ars amatoria

wew
>>
>>980331
>>980870
why do people save these as jpegs reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>980900

Not OP, but /his/ may not like him for his "Christ cucks killed Rome" meme.
>>
File: Oda said.png (9 KB, 102x109) Image search: [Google]
Oda said.png
9 KB, 102x109
>>981290
>implying Christcucks are even close to being a majority on /his/
>>
>>981290
Or perhaps because it is an 18th century work with 18th century historiography.
>>
>>981662
What are some specific things in Gibbon's work that has been superseded by more modern scholarship?
>>
>>981673
Different anon here. I cant name anything specifucally but imagine that two centuries of archaeological and historiographical development as well as advances in the social sciences has totally changed our perception of Rome since gibbons time. Also gibbons didn't write about the early empire (30bc to 100ad)or republic either
>>
>>980331
thank you bsed anon
>>
File: Roman Degenerates.jpg (3 MB, 1248x5557) Image search: [Google]
Roman Degenerates.jpg
3 MB, 1248x5557
>>981290
>Romans
>calling anyone else cvcks
>>
>>981821

Gibbons also places anachronistic ideas of statehood on an era which didn't experience those ideas. It's much like Jacob Burckhardt and his romanticism of the Renaissance.
>>
>>981290
Do you even read Gibbon? I read his Vol. V, and he never bothered to cite sources.
>>
>>981839
>Dark Ages
>>
Epictetus' Discourses is a better book than than Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and Seneca's Letters.
>>
>>980331
>no Juvenal
>no Petronius (literally the minister of culture for Nero)

Also I didn't see Lucan whose Phsrsalia is very underappreciated
>>
>>981821
It's still one of the greatest books made on Rome. Always a pleasure to read sections. It's good as a survey of Roman historical writing anyways since that was his only real influence/source
>>
>>981839
>races
>in the roman era
>>
This was obviously made by a dilletante.

Where's Lucretius?
Where's Petronius?
Where's Polybius?
Where's Plutarch?
Where's Apulieus?
Where's Cattulus?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.