[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should humanity strive for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: fardeau_agreable-huge.jpg (533 KB, 1248x1853) Image search: [Google]
fardeau_agreable-huge.jpg
533 KB, 1248x1853
Let's talk about the meaning of life on a societal level. Why should we as a society keep struggling, keep advancing?

I don't remember who but I think some Swedish philosopher said the meaning of it is that we can reach a society in which everyone has comfort and can reach self-fulfillment. Where people can spend their days reading books, painting, etc. That should be the greater point of technological advancing.
(Yet interestingly, our society shames people who spend their days going after pleasure and comfort.)

What do you think?
>>
>>979225

For anal. It's always about anal.
>>
>>979225
>Why should we as a society keep struggling

Struggle is only a matter of perception anon. While a life may seem like a struggle to one man, those same conditions would be a breeze for another.

Being self-satisfied and not getting frustrated by others having different beliefs/methods. Learning how to be democratic with the whole world.

I'm pretty sure that would sort out 90% of humanities issues.
>>
>>979246
/thread
>>
>>979225
>Let's talk about the meaning of life on a societal level. Why should we as a society keep struggling, keep advancing?
Because we get confused lost and petty otherwise, people do best when they have some greater goal to strive for.

What actual things we struggle for are irrelevant.
>>
Even if we reach the peak of humanity, it would be senselessly. The universe will die anyway.
>>
>>979225
>Where people can spend their days reading books, painting
>painting

I've never understood that meme. Art is nice to look at, but any single piece of it, however great it may be, is by no means essential for mankind in general. If we never had Mona Lisa, nothing would have changed in the course of human history.

Speaking to the point, there is obviously no transcendent meaning to be discovered, neither is there any conscious actor called "society" that is thinking "shit, I need to keep advancing". We just solve problems and pursue opportunities.
>>
Everyone where i live seems to have a stick up their own ass, and couldnt give two monkeys about what is beneficial for society
>>
>>979225
>Yet interestingly, our society shames people who spend their days going after pleasure and comfort.

We usually shame those people because they are gaining short-term pleasure at the expense of long-term pleasure or they are gaining their pleasure by having others take the negatives for them.

To me it works this way,
1. We have physical desires and needs that we want fulfilled.
2. We act to fulfill those desires and needs.
3. It is almost always advantageous to work together with others to fulfill all of our needs simultaneously as a group working in harmony can fulfill all of their desires moreso than an individual working alone. See most technological advancements, modern infrastructure, etc.
4. A truly selfless society though seems to be nearly impossible to create as the benefit to becoming selfish grows as harmony increases thus when designing our societies we need to consider how to minimize corruption and maximize cooperation.
>>
>>979269
So what? Can there be no meaning without permanency?
>>
>>979225
Unity in diversity.
>>
>>979246
the pussy is so much better though lets not BULLSHIT
>>
>>979276
>Where people can spend their days reading books, painting
>reading
I've never understood that meme. Books are nice to look at, but any single bit of it, however great it may be, is by no means essential for mankind in general. If we never had Candide, nothing would have changed in the course of human history.
>>
>>979225
It seems to me that we're wasting our time here on Earth. We discovered our capacity to be able to spread out amongst the stars, and yet we squabble over limited resources here, while refusing to accept harmony between our environment or each other. We've minimized ourselves by accepting that the greates thing to strive towards is just a happy retirement, when we are so close to acheiving near-godhood. Humanity has the capacity to be great, we just need to get our head out of our asses and realize it.
>>
>>979312
Partly true. But if we never had Enlightenment philosophers in general, world history would have been very different.
>>
>>979225
A global fascist state
>>
>>979330
Where does the axiom "great=good" come from?
>>
>>979349
Isn't that what we're heading for?
>>
To colonize Moon caves.
>>
Virtue.
>>
>>979341
And if we didn't have artists in general, world history would have been very different.

Imagine the course of the French Revolution without David's "Death of Marat" for example.
>>
>>979369
Is this a euphemism for anal?
>>
>>979359
No. National sovereignty still plagues the international system
>>
File: lunar-lava-tubes-1.jpg (13 KB, 700x176) Image search: [Google]
lunar-lava-tubes-1.jpg
13 KB, 700x176
>>979376
>>
>>979351
The way I'd define "great" is the degree of positive influence you leave. You could live a happy life without affecting anybody or setting anything into motion, and you can define that as "good". I wouldn't exactly equate greatness with goodness. I'd just rather humanity have some forward mobility.
>>
>>979378
When the TPP and the TTIP are fully developed, it will be almost like a world government run by international corporations.
>>
>>979388
We still have lots of time left on Earth. If we turn into an autistic eco-civilization, or even if we go wild and fuck everything up, starting a couple of nuclear wars, we will still be able to survive as a species. So outward expansion is just one of the many options.
>>
>>979406
But its the only option that brings us somewhere new. We've only just gotten out of our existense as being just another species at harmony with nature, and nuclear war would be a massive step backwards in potential, making it thousands of years before we could ever flourish again. With outward expansion, we widen the possibilities for us as a whole.
>>
>>979225
>cute painting
>cute title
I don't even wanna read the op. I know it's just gonna spoil it for me.
>>
>>979416
>But its the only option that brings us somewhere new.
So? What's so special about novelty?
>>
>>979428
What's so special about stagnancy?
>>
>>979452
Nothing.

That doesn't address novelty in any way though.
>>
>>979389
That's a globalize oligarchy though. Humanity needs a body devoted to its future hence fascism.
>>
>>979473
If there's nothing special about mobility or stagnancy, then I assume that just means it doesnt matter what humanity does. Which is sad.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>979503
Correct, except the sad part.

It is irrelevant what humanity does, all that matters is that it does something.

Technically it doesn't matter whether humanity does anything either, but people who cross that rubicon seem to die off Mitchell Heisman style... so "all that matters is that we do" seems like a fair starting point.
>>
this thread ITT:
https://youtu.be/jxepnIG1yQQ
>>
File: 1460558545054.jpg (82 KB, 910x709) Image search: [Google]
1460558545054.jpg
82 KB, 910x709
>>979246
t. Britboy
>>
Extinction
>>
>>979225
Warfare. Its the most fun you can have naked
>>
>>979310
Hahah, you wish.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.