[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Assyria, /his/. Why is it important aside from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: assyrians.jpg (55 KB, 250x264) Image search: [Google]
assyrians.jpg
55 KB, 250x264
Redpill me on Assyria, /his/. Why is it important aside from muh ancient civilization? What's interesting about it?
>>
>>978357
The fact that they're one of the few surviving distinct ethno-cultural group from the Bronze Age is pretty interesting. Oh and they're probably one of the most disturbingly brutal civilisations that have ever existed. In the British Museum there are massive relief sculptures depicting the sackings of cities and the kings would base their success based on how many enemies they had skinned, how many children they had penetrated with stakes rectally and how many men they had castrated.
>>
Assyria finished the process that changed the Middle East from an area in which many different kingdoms and city-states (Babylonia, Urartu, Elam, etc.) vyed for regional supremacy, to a place ruled by a succession of massive multicultural, multinational empires. (Persia, the Arab Caliphates, the Ottomans.) Not to mention all of the forced and unforced population migration. Carthage may never have been as large or important a city if not for Phonecians fleeing the Assyrian terror, for instance.
>>
>>978357
>Redpill me on
Fuck off
>>
>>978393
Lies spread by their enemies, like most evil things any nation had done, bullshit 90% of them.
>>
>>978393
You really believe that mang?
>>
File: Assyrian Battle of Halule.jpg (27 KB, 314x333) Image search: [Google]
Assyrian Battle of Halule.jpg
27 KB, 314x333
>>978357
They were headstrong and took on anyone.
>>
>>978476
>proceeds to bump thread
u aint da brightest
>>
>>978880
>>978902
It's their monuments that tell us of their brutality.

http://faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf
>>
>>978476
.>Getting mad
>>
File: IMG_7989.jpg (104 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7989.jpg
104 KB, 600x400
They are important because they ruled over large swathes of Mesopotamia through the use of terror. They routinely chopped heads, limbs, and flayed their enemies, and depicted these in reliefs within their palaces. Pic related.

They could be viewed as a cilivising influence because they slowed the advance of nomadic horsemen, (e.g. Cimmerians) into the rest of the settled Middle East.
>>
>>978393
>surviving
Assyrians are still around?
>>
Who was the better successor state to the Akkadians between Assyria and Babylon?
>>
File: Map_of_Assyria.png (282 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Assyria.png
282 KB, 800x550
>>979535
in terms of might, assyria
>>
>>979535
In terms of culture, Babylonia. They survived Assyrian rule and preserved Sumerian language + heritage.
>>
>>979510
Yep. Turks genocided a bunch of them tho
>>
>>978357
the Yossarian in Catch 22 was Assyrian
>>
Another question: Why did Syria derive it's name from the capital city Assur when it's located in Iraq, mostly where Babylon is? The Assyrians also lived mostly in Iraq.
>>
>>979510
ISIS is killing most of them
>>
File: 1367370373758.jpg (86 KB, 453x592) Image search: [Google]
1367370373758.jpg
86 KB, 453x592
>>978880
>>978902
It isn't a meme mates.

>“I flayed as many nobles as had rebelled against me [and] draped their skins over the pile [of corpses]; some I spread out within the pile, some I erected on stakes upon the pile … I
flayed many right through my land [and] draped their skins over the walls.”

>“I felled 50 of their fighting men with the sword, burnt 200 captives from them, [and]
defeated in a battle on the plain 332 troops. … With their blood I dyed the mountain red
like red wool, [and] the rest of them the ravines [and] torrents of the mountain
swallowed. I carried off captives [and] possessions from them. I cut off the heads of their fighters [and] built [therewith] a tower before their city. I burnt their adolescent boys
[and] girls.”

>"I captured many troops alive: I cut off of some their arms [and] hands; I cut off of others their noses, ears, [and] extremities. I gouged out the eyes of many troops. I made one pile of the living [and] one of heads. I hung their heads on trees around the city.”

>“I cut their throats like lambs. I cut off their precious lives (as one cuts) a string. Like the
many waters of a storm, I made (the contents of) their gullets and entrails run down upon
the wide earth. My prancing steeds harnessed for my riding, plunged into the streams of
their blood as (into) a river. The wheels of my war chariot, which brings low the wicked
and the evil, were bespattered with blood and filth. With the bodies of their warriors I
filled the plain, like grass. (Their) testicles I cut off, and tore out their privates like the
seeds of cucumbers.”

>“The sepulchers of their earlier and later kings, who did not fear Assur and Ishtar, my
lords, (and who) had plagued the kings, my fathers, I destroyed, I devastated, I exposed to
the sun. Their bones (members) I carried off to Assyria."
>>
>>978357
Just passing by but, what does redpill mean? Is it like inform?
>>
>>980239
It stems from the Matrix where Neo had the choice between a red pill that will show him the truth and a blue pill that lets him live out his life in ignorance. Si basically it means 'tell me the truth about X'.
It is generally seen as /pol/ terminology, hence the reactions in this thread
>>
>>980295
Oh boy I should really proofread, sorry familia
>>
>>978880
Yeah their own wall reliefs were made up by their enemies
>>
>>979510
Not much longer thanks to ISIS
>>
File: Assyrian_world_population[1].png (57 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Assyrian_world_population[1].png
57 KB, 1425x625
>>981118
They don't seem to be doing all that badly right now, especially given ISIS is getting BTFO.
>>
>>979766
Bumping for answer. (Check em)
>>
File: ADMIXTURE10.png (17 KB, 1366x651) Image search: [Google]
ADMIXTURE10.png
17 KB, 1366x651
>>979510
Yeah mang, I'm one of them. The only evidence we have to being Assyrians is that we were in northern Iraq/ Southern Turkey for as long as we've known, it only makes sense that living over major Assyrian sites like Nimrud, Erbil and Assur would make us descendants of Assyrians. The words we use in our language Syriac are a mix of Aramaic and Assyrian-Akkadian.
For instance Zuzu means half a shekel in Assyrian-Akkadian and Zuzeh is Syriac for money.
We were a fairly isolated people as well, look at that DNA bruv. No Euro DNA from crusades, no African DNA from Arab African slave trade.
>>
>>981161
This is some serious cause of WE WUZ
>>
>>982604
A lot of that goes around with us, it's pretty funny but it's a means for people to rise up. We haven't been so badly run out of our homeland since the Genocide by the Ottomans. Kurds have basically taken everything we've had.
>>
>>982608
How are Kurds treating Assyrians right now?
>>
>>982613
Everyone has an opinion but I'm not sure because I've never experienced it. From what I understand, they give us what we need as in refuge but have no real presence or even population size to gain large scale recognition. Some people say the government doesn't really care if it builds on your land and some Kurds want Assyrians out but, most don't give a shit.
>>
>>982613
https://youtu.be/KTHQTrMd5GM
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.