[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has recreational drug use ever caused the downfall of a nation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1458672224251.jpg (98 KB, 450x386) Image search: [Google]
1458672224251.jpg
98 KB, 450x386
has recreational drug use ever caused the downfall of a nation?
>>
Opium did fuck over China quite a bit and made Britain very rich in the 19th century.
>>
Alcoholism has decimated native communities around the world
>>
>>973927
[spoiler]among other things[/spoiler]
>>
Yes. If I were a nation.
>>
>>973867

No, and it's interesting to note that every society yet discovered has found some way of getting off it's tits. Before agriculture, people kept bees to brew mead. Booze is literally a higher priority than lots of food for building societies up.
>>
The brits fucked up China with all that opium
>>
A single factor has never caused the fall of a nation.
>>
>>973957
Of course not. I was just wondering if there was a blaring example of some nation which was ruined because of rampant drug use, at any point in history.

Honestly I'm churning out a rough draft for a pretty big position paper that is due in a few hours and I'm looking for any content I can throw in.

My position, which I might change depending on my studies, is that drugs should not be illegal.
>>
>>973944
>Before agriculture, people kept bees to brew mead.
Not an excellent source for pre-colonial African archaeology, but in the novel Mhudi, Sol Plaatje describes the tribal leaders in SA as amassing retinues of beer-brewing wives, who make ale from grass and berries and other stuff they just find on the ground.

Dicking around and hunting lions for kicks while your wives make booze for you sounds like a 10/10 lifestyle tbqh.
>>
>>973867
We've been drinking alcohol since like... agriculture?
>>
>>973995
>My position, which I might change depending on my studies, is that drugs should not be illegal.

Read J.S. mill and go full liberal m8

China is the is one of the countries that went down due to Opium but that was careful British policy, the native country of Indian where it came from experienced no downfall like it.
>>
>>973995
Fair, I just wanted to say it before the muh degeneracy posters got here.

But Qing dynasty China is going to be your biggest example. That and American Natives, since there's a lot of documentation on their alcoholism and how it fucked up their society, but I'm not too savvy on that. Good luck.
>>
>>974026
Native Americans didn't have nations in the modern sense did they?
>>
>>974043
>nations in the modern sense
Yes, they had nations in the modern sense, but not states.
>>
File: 1455031629026.jpg (88 KB, 1058x704) Image search: [Google]
1455031629026.jpg
88 KB, 1058x704
Nations are a group of people with a similar/standard cultute.

States are governments, similar to how there is 1 Korea but 2 Korean States
>>
>>973897
yes, it had nothing to do with India being a colony. It was all china.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.