[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Sikhism, /his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (278 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
278 KB, 1280x960
Redpill me on Sikhism, /his/
>>
>>973194
The Sikhs are a religious and ethnic group that are native it northern India. There are also significant Sikh populations outside of India in countries such as Canada and America. They also posses very elegant headwear often accompanied with fine beards and mustaches. They also may or may not be white and more closely related to the ancient Aryans who migrated to India thousands of years ago.
>>
>>973382
>they also may or may not be white
This, just look at all the whites in the OP's picture
>>
Based and glorious culture which is sadly often mistaken for suicide bomb squads (because they wear turbans and have long beards.)
>>
File: Khanda.png (17 KB, 379x468) Image search: [Google]
Khanda.png
17 KB, 379x468
>>973194
Well what do you want to know about it?
>>
File: tumblr_lw3xis4yjc1qzu5fbo1_500.png (247 KB, 369x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lw3xis4yjc1qzu5fbo1_500.png
247 KB, 369x700
>>973194

>redpill

GET. OFF. THIS. BOARD!!!!!!!
>>
>>973194
Sikhs are bro-tier
>>
>In Sikhism, all the religions of the world are compared to rivers flowing into a single ocean. Although the Sikh gurus did not agree with the practices of fasting, idolatry and pilgrimage during their times, they stressed that all religions should be tolerated and considered on equal footing. The Sikh scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib, contains the writings of not just the Sikh guru themselves, but the writings of several Hindu and Muslim saints, known as the Bhagats. Although Sikhism does not teach that men are created as an image of God, it states that the essence of the One is to be found throughout all of its creation
>>
>>973194
Indianized islam.
>>
>>973194
i had a sikh teacher once, he was a top lad desu

shame they get put into the category as muslims by the ignorant
>>
>>973406
>tumblr
no u
>>
File: Bhindranwale.159.jpg (94 KB, 1014x573) Image search: [Google]
Bhindranwale.159.jpg
94 KB, 1014x573
>>973652
Sounds like a shit religion.

But they do make good soldiers though.
You can always give them that.

What's with the weapons and shit, is it just a result of persecution because it sounds like they'd be the hippy types.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 736x638) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 736x638
>>973652
We do not believe all religions are equal. We believe all people are equal before God and that a religious title does not automatically elevate anyone. No one is doomed or saved for just being a member of a religion.

>>973717
>What's with the weapons

We're supposed to love freedom and peace so much that we should be willing to fight and die for it. Pacifistic bystanders are not righteous.
>>
>>973382
>There are also significant Sikh populations outside of India in countries such as Canada and America.
>Canada and America
>Largest Sikh population outside of India is in the UK

Sikhs are generally cool guys, they don't proselytise, they fit in with local culture and try to get along as best they can with locals and are on the whole hard working, upstanding citizens. They're also big on charity, with many gurdwaras offering free food to anyone who needs it, and Sikhs giving above average amounts of money to charity. They are sadly sometimes the victim of attacks by Muslims, among others, with numerous stories of attempts at forced conversion and other abuse, and of course some victimisation by locals who can't tell them apart from other immigrants and just want to attack people.

In general though, at least in the UK (and I would assume the same is probably true for most of the other diasporas), Sikhs are pretty based, and generally regarded as bros by everyone that has the basic intelligence required to tell them apart from Muslims.
>>
>>973194
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Some kind of secret truth about Sikhism? Only thing I can think of in a 4chan context is that Sikhism isn't some kind of kebab removing crusader-parallel anti-Muslim faith like I've sometimes seen claimed on /int/, who just happened to fight against Mughals and Afghans as much as they fought Hindus and the British for political reasons, all the while maintaining an ecumenical relationship with local Indian Hindu and Muslim traditions.
>>
>>973717
>What's with the weapons and shit,

The need to remove kebab.
>>
>>973717
>What's with the weapons and shit, is it just a result of persecution because it sounds like they'd be the hippy types.
The real answer is the somewhat lawless frontier culture of the Punjab made individual action a moral virtue.
>>
>>973402
The sikh logo looks like something that would be on an alien spaceship
>>
Le bro tier paki man
>>
>>973658
Obvious troll.

They are quite literally, anti-Islam. Super specifically.
>>
File: 2786466747_6d0069c2b5.jpg (101 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
2786466747_6d0069c2b5.jpg
101 KB, 375x500
>>973194
Essentially, IRL Paladins:

Basic tenants
*Don't try to convert people. Thats dickish.
*All religions try to get to the same goal.
*Avoid polluting your body (no tobacco, booze, drug use)
*If they are hungry, feed them. If they need defending, draw steel. All people are equals, and its your job as a good person to help.
*REMOVE KABOB.

>>974053
Its a stylized sword, two dagger and a chakram. They literally HAVE to carry at least a knife with them at all times, and are known for stabbing gun men to death to protect others.
>>
They're a beautiful people

>Religion requires them to treat men and women equal
>Respect all faiths, as they believe each man needs to find god in their own way
>Offer help and protection to those who need it
>Serve free, tasty ass food at their temples
>>
>>975672
How do they feel about conceal and carry laws and using 9mm handguns in lieu of melee weapons?
>>
>>975695
They tend to also be super good natured. If you do piss them off though, god help you.

Does your chuch highly impress the importance of martial arts and weapons training?

>>975702
The Kirpan (Small knife) is a strict requirement at bare minimum, but they are actively encouraged to learn modern weapons.

I actually don't know a single sikh who doesn't CC. None of them use 9mm though, as that is a faggot round.
>>
>>975709
Forgot TACTICAL KIRPAN!
>>
>>975672
What's their beef with muslims?
>>
>>975712
Mulisms did what Muslims do: Attempt to for conversions, kill those who refused, and raped women and children.

The Sikhs said no, and grabbed swords, shields and muskets.

The Sikhs won.
>>
>>975709
I was mostly going for a go-to for small firearm, nice to see they aren't obsessed with some "the Old Ways" crap where they won't use a handgun.

Also these guys sound like real-life Klingons.
>>
>>975718
any specific sources?
>>
>>975720
Nah, not dickish enough to be Klingons. These guys are flat out DnD Paladins.

They have no diet restrictions, but cook vegetarian at the daily free meals they host at their temples, because everyone deserves to eat. They do not allow the concept of race, as all men and women are of the same earth.

Honestly, if I didn't like premarital sex and booze, I would totally convert.

>>975725
...Every single written account of there history? The Hindus kicked them out because of the who "Equality" idea fucking up their caste system. Then the Muslims tried to invade and convert.

Hell, any and all Sikhs are technically still under Fatwa by all of Islam.
>>
>>975655
sikhism is basically islam (sufi) + hindu

like, literally
>>
>>975750
>Then the Muslims tried to invade and convert.

wait, what?
>>
>>975773
Except without all the parts of Islam and Hinduism that suck taint, and replaced with brotier
>>
>>975750
>all Sikhs are technically still under Fatwa by all of Islam.
Do you even know what fatwa means? your sentence makes no sense.
>>
>>975655
>They are quite literally, anti-Islam. Super specifically.
They are not. I don't know why people keep saying this.
>>
>>975655
Islamic factions hate each other. Film at 11.
>>
>>975711
More like busted kirpan....
>>
>>975776
>brotier
I dont know enough about Sikhism to comment on this, but...ok? Sikhism was formed by a Hindu Guru who was influenced by the Sufi masters who were very prevalent in India.
>>
>>973903
/thread
I love Sihks
>>
>>975712
With Muslims, none. Historically some of their important religious figures died fighting Mughal governors or Durrani raiders, but that's about it. Other times they allied with local Muslim emirs, ruled over Muslim subjects rather peacefully, and sometimes even supported various Mughal rulers or pretenders.
>>
File: image.png (59 KB, 480x335) Image search: [Google]
image.png
59 KB, 480x335
>>975702
Guns are great. We've been using and carrying them for hundreds of years, but it's not a replacement, it's more of a supplement. There's nothing stopping us from carrying both.

>>975801
Guru Nanak was born in a Hindu family, but he never called himself a Hindu or a Hindu Guru. He explicitly says he's neither Hindu nor Muslim.
>>
File: BhaiKhaniya.jpg (58 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
BhaiKhaniya.jpg
58 KB, 700x525
>Bhai Ghanaiya ji or Bhai Kanhaiya ji was founder of Sevapanthi or Addanshahi sect of the Sikhs. He was born in a Dhamman Khatri family of Sodhara near Wazirabad in Sialkot District (Now in Pakistan). His father was a wealthy trader, but he himself being of a religious bent of mind left home when still very young and roamed about With sadhus and ascetics in search of spiritual peace. His quest ended as he met Guru Tegh Bahadur 1621-75) and accepted initiation at his hands. Kanhaiya established a dharamsal at Kavha village in the present Attock district of Pakistan. Which he turned into a preaching centre. His special mission was selfless service of humanity with no distinction of nationality, caste or creed. In 1705, he was on a visit to Anandpur when Anandpur was invested by a combination of hill troops and the Mughal imperial army. During the frequent sallies and skirmishes, Bhai Kanhaiya used to roam around serving water to the wounded and the dying without distinction of friend and foe. Some Sikhs complained to Guru Gobind Singh that Kanhaiya had been resuscitating the fallen enemy soldiers. As Guru Gobind Singh summoned Bhat Kanhaiya and told him What the Sikhs had said, he spoke, "Yes, my Lord, what they said is true in a sense, but I saw no Mughals or Sikhs in the battlefield. I only saw the Guru's face in everyone. " The Guru, pleased with the reply, blessed him and told his Sikhs that Kanhaiya had understood his teaching correctly. Guru also give him medicine to be put on the wounds of fallen soldiers(Sikhs and Enemies).
>>
>>974059
I've been keking at this for half an hour now, ty
>>
>>976036
Nice.

So apart from not liking the proselytizing thing, how do you feel about Christians and Christianity?
>>
>>973817
Sounds counter-intuitive, but I get what it means.

>>974009
Is that the only reason, I thought they started the whole thing by decree of a Guru because they were being persecuted by moslems.

>>975672
>*Don't try to convert people. Thats dickish.
>*All religions try to get to the same goal.
This sounds stupid, why have religion at all if you actually believe that shit.
>>
They are generally nearer the top end of mudslimes, comparatively of course. Post-50's saw an incredible increase in migrants from the ex-Raj to Britain's shores.

Back then of course there were clashes, this was a time where seeing someone of colour was new and shocking.

In the grand scheme of things however, Sikhs albeit religious, are fairly decent compared to the rest of em.

It's a mix between Dindu Hindus and Islam. Although they've been touched by the taint of Islam, they aren't as radical. Sure they'll throw a few swords around but that's about it.
>>
>>973194
Literally remove kebab: the religion
>>
>>976196
>>*Don't try to convert people. Thats dickish.
>*All religions try to get to the same goal.
>This sounds stupid, why have religion at all if you actually believe that shit.

The goal is to find completion and happiness.
>>
>>976196
To build on >>976209,
2+2=4
3+1=4
6-2=4

Different equations, same answer
>>
I won't pretend to know a fuck ton about it past reading a little, but as a culture, they are genuinely good people, in general.

In a low point in my life, a Sikh temple kept me fed and gave me a distraction in the form of teaching I33 sword and buckler fencing to their Gatka students.
>>
>>976209
>>976224
Not really, if you look at religions the purpose and goal are different, for the Abrahamics its heaven, to the Pagans its pleasing their Gods.
In any case there is always a component of afterlife.

Also saying that all religions are equal is fucking stupid.
>>
>>976224
But I was born in 7-3=4 society, so that one is objectively correct. It's all ludicrously obvious if you just read our hundreds of years of rationalizations and fanfiction on the subject.
>>
>>976281
>for the Abrahamics its heaven
Where they find happiness.

>to the Pagans its pleasing their Gods
Where they can be happy in this life.

We all just want to be happy anon.

>>976285
Your false words are anathema to the one true path, of -4+8=4! DIE HERETIC!
>>
>>976224
√16 master race
>>
>>973194
I'm just astonished at the facial hair most of the men have. The guy to the left has a more Islamic looking beard though.
>>
>>976224
>>976285
>>976312

Is 4+0 = 4 Buddhism or atheism?
>>
>>976324
>√16
No matter how much money you have, Scientology will never be a real religion.

>>976327
Buddhism
>>
The worst terrorist attack in Canadian history was done by Sikhs. >>973194
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182
>>
>>976347
...Compared to the number of deaths committed by Christian and Islamic extremists in the 80s....
>>
File: image.png (121 KB, 829x570) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121 KB, 829x570
>>976180
Christianity often feels familiar to me. I'd say many of the teachings overlap with our way. However, I can't agree that the way to the Father is through Christ alone.

>>976281
>Also saying that all religions are equal is fucking stupid.

I've already told you we don't believe this. Sikhism would not exist if we believed all religions are the same.
>>
>>976347
Those people do not represent the Sikh people as a whole and are cowards who misuse the word. The only people who want to talk focus on it are bigots who want to push their own agenda.
>#notallsikhs
>#jesuismontreal
>#prayforcanada
>>
>>976312
Then why did the pagan Greeks believe day and night were two gods, the sun god Helios and his moon goddess sister Selene, in a punch-clock relay, Shintoists believe that the day and night are 2 gods, Amaterasu the sun goddess and her moon god husband Tsukiyomi, being estranged after Tsukiyomi killed the goddess of food for vomiting up a banquet and Amaterasu basically filing a restraining order against him, and Christians believing that the One True God, who is the only God that ever existed or would exist, created the sun and moon as completely nonsupernatural and undivine created matter and the day/night cycle exists because he made it so.

Only one must be true right? They conflict in how the day/night cycle works, why is exists, and what the sun and moon are.
>>
File: 1442451028625.jpg (164 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1442451028625.jpg
164 KB, 1024x1024
>>976180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4VJh_DIhVs

:3
>>
File: The Great Work.jpg (998 KB, 1264x1037) Image search: [Google]
The Great Work.jpg
998 KB, 1264x1037
>>976386
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 998x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 998x720
>>976405
I have no fucking clue what that's supposed to be.
>>
>>973394
That doesn't refute their point he said they may OR MAY NOT BE
>>
>>975695
>>Religion requires them to treat men and women equal
Men & women are biologically not equal, so why should they be treated equally?
>>Respect all faiths, as they believe each man needs to find god in their own way
Religions are not equal in quality either, so why should every religion be respected?
>>
>>976461
Especially with how they feel about Muslims.
>>
>>973382
Kek there is a white sikh at my university. His beard is hilarious.
>>
>>976417
>Tis true without error, certain & most true.
>That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing
>And as all things have been & arose from one by the mediation of one: so all things have their birth from this one thing by adaptation.
>The Sun is its father, the moon its mother, the wind hath carried it in its belly, the earth is its nurse.
>The father of all perfection in the whole world is here.
>Its force or power is entire if it be converted into earth.
>Separate thou the earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross sweetly with great industry.
>It ascends from the earth to the heaven & again it descends to the earth & receives the force of things superior & inferior.
>By this means you shall have the glory of the whole world
& thereby all obscurity shall fly from you.
Its force is above all force. For it vanquishes every subtle thing & penetrates every solid thing.
>So was the world created.
>From this are & do come admirable adaptations whereof the means (or process) is here in this. Hence I am called Hermes Trismegist, having the three parts of the philosophy of the whole world
>That which I have said of the operation of the Sun is accomplished & ended.

Seems pretty self explanatory.
>>
File: amanoiwato.gif (43 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
amanoiwato.gif
43 KB, 320x480
>>976417
It's not good to be so opinionated on things you don't understand, anon.
>>
File: guru gobind guru nanak.jpg (105 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
guru gobind guru nanak.jpg
105 KB, 640x640
>>976461
>Men & women are biologically not equal, so why should they be treated equally?

Men and women are equal spiritually. Men aren't closer to God and women aren't naturally impure for example. The spiritual practice is the same for both men and women.

>Religions are not equal in quality either, so why should every religion be respected?

We respect the right for people to practice whatever religion they please, but that doesn't mean we think they're following a spiritually beneficial religion. Our scripture says what the best religion is:

"Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct. Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy. Of all efforts, the best effort is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever. Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech is to hear the Lord's Praise and chant it with the tongue. Of all places, the most sublime place, O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides.”
>>
>>976461
>Men & women are biologically not equal, so why should they be treated equally?
Most men and people in general are not biologically equal. That doesn't mean it's right to treat people differently.
>>
>>976525
>The Sun is its father, the moon its mother
Then why does Shinto have the sun as a chick and the moon as a dude?
>>
>>976538
No, it is not good to post some esoteric shit as an argument and then act like you won when your opponent has no fucking clue what your point is.

If you answered in Korean words rewritten with Cyrillic text, and claimed I'm arguing poorly for not being able to translate something that I don't even know is technically two languages, then you're being a faggot.

Now what the fuck is that pic of your pic? Not everyone cares about esoteric bullshit.
>>
>>976525
What does that even mean?
>>
>>973194
bro-tier
>>
>>973194
Essentially DnD Paladins.

Nice people.
>>
>>976748
>Now what the fuck is that pic of your pic?
The light of the world emerging from the cave.

>Not everyone cares about esoteric bullshit.
Don't reference the Kojiki if you don't want people to discuss the Kojiki.
>>
>>976785
Nothing that came after that wizard and his creepy smiling sun and moon was Japanese.
That pic wasn't Japanese, that greentext wall mentioned "Hermes Trismegist" which isn't a Japanese name.

And if you're such a wise scholar, enlighten me.
>>
>>976815
And if you bring up Tomoko being a fictional Japanese girl, fuck you, you know what I'm talking about; >>976405 and >>976525
>>
>>976593
Yes it does. People with totally different mindsets and potential should not be expected to behave the same as others with totally different mindsets and potential.
>>976569
Okay, that sounds more rational and less hippie than that anon made it seem.
>>
>>976815
Hermes Trismegistus and Amaterasu were posted in response to >>976386.

>Greeks
>Shintoists
>2 gods

You don't understand any of the traditions you're comparing to one another yet you're trying to use them to make some sort of point about their irreconcilability.
>>
>>973194
Honour-Killings.
>>
>>976876
I'm saying their mythological explanations for why day and night exist are contradictory and thus all religions cannot be equally/simoultaniously true.

Besides, you probably don't know jack about either anyway.

Besides, I'm intentionally only focusing on lunar and solar deities. I know both religions have large pantheons.
>>
>>973194
Canadian here, Sikhs are bro-tier
>>
Singapore has a Sikh minority. They are charged with protecting the peraident and the prime minister and are generally badass.

Is Thaipusam a Sikh festival or a general Hindu festival? I may not believe in skewering myself as thanksgiving or penance, but I have to admit, that is pretty metal.
>>
>>976962
A Hindu festival. First time I'm hearing of it too.
>>
File: latest[1].png (50 KB, 273x331) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
50 KB, 273x331
>>974053
>>
>>973194
>Redpill me
*puts this thread in the trash*
>>
>>977030
*sits you on my dick*
>>
>>977050
Face it man, red pill is the ideological version of yolo
>>
>>975655
Kill yourself
>>
File: 280x157-cKu.jpg (317 KB, 2054x1152) Image search: [Google]
280x157-cKu.jpg
317 KB, 2054x1152
>>977285
we do so make it fucking count. help out other bros. they will in turn help out more bros.

be a bro. #YOLO
>>
>>977285
*suck teeth*

woooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

but yeah weren't sikhs like the mongols who hid in religious affiliation?
>>
>>973903
They kill everyone among them who even shows the slightest amount of sympathety towards muslims. Thats literally savage-tier
>>
>>979852
*sympathy
>>
>>979852

That's completely false.
>>
>>979852
This is blatantly false.
>>
File: Flag_of_Iran.svg.png (14 KB, 800x457) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
14 KB, 800x457
>>973402
>That symbol
Coincidence??
>>
>>981629
Sikhism did rise out of Islam and Hinduism, so there are bound to be influences from. Both religions.
>>
>>982057
The Sikh symbol is older than Iran's flag.
>>
Jesus christ /his/ is just as bad as leddit when it comes to circle jerking Sikhs.
The 4 or 5 I've met seemed pretty safe, but take your hands of eachothers dicks I beg you.
>>
>>976829

Except you don't know what their mindset and potential is
>>
>>976347
yeah, and ISIS represents muslims, right?
>>
>>979852
reminds me of that arab serving in IDF who got caught by MP's 170m from his sister's flat.

His mother called him that his sister is dating non-muslim so he got a gun and deserted to kill her. MP's were faster than him.
>>
>>982073
Sikhism itself isn't life than the symbol on Iran's flag.
>>
>>973194
They're not white and therefore aren't significant.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.