[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Hellenism really that great or did it only become popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: hellenismus_alexander.jpg (175 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
hellenismus_alexander.jpg
175 KB, 600x414
Was Hellenism really that great or did it only become popular because of Big Al?
>>
File: BOUKEPHALOS.png (2 MB, 598x913) Image search: [Google]
BOUKEPHALOS.png
2 MB, 598x913
>>
Hellenistic period is the most based period in the history of humanity

t.Kostas.
>>
>>967858
No way. Classical times was more based.

t.Classicist
>>
>>967814
Hellenistic thinking only spread so greatly because of Alexander the Great and the generals who created the successor kingdoms.

If Persia was allowed to be ruled by Persians and Semitic people by independent rulers then they'd stick with their beliefs and hellenism would just be a foreign concept only a minority followed.
>>
>>967814
What exactly is hellenism? Because it wasn't democracy or freedom. I don't really see how the Greeks lived that different to the Persians.
>>
It wasn't a popular thing, a conquering nation introduced Greek culture into recently subdued territories.
>>
>>967814
Yes
>>
>>967896
Would we, without Alexander, still see Ancient Greece as the root of our civilication?
Or would it be just another obscure ancient culture?
>>
>>967924
Surely you can thank Rome for ripping and spreading Hellenism and Greek ideals to Europe. Alexander gave it to what, Egypt and Persia.
>>
>>967896
>What exactly is hellenism?

Greek imperialism.
>>
File: alexmap.gif (135 KB, 630x301) Image search: [Google]
alexmap.gif
135 KB, 630x301
>>967928
>alexander gave it to what
Well
>>
>>967928
As far as I understand, Romans were introduced to hellenism by Alexander and his successors
>>
>>967896
Hellenism is basically Alexander with a united greece conquering the relevant world under the pretext that they need to spread their culture(Πας μη Έλλην,βάρβαρος, Whoever is not greek, is a barbarian) to all the "uncivilized" people of the east.Basically he wanted to:
A)Remove persians form the premises
B)Have a huge ass empire since he literally roflstomped everyone, and outwitted every single king on the battlefield
>>
>>967844
wow i didnt expect you to post meme's
>>
>>967965
Iirc Easterners were Seen as Slave Minded and decadent who used to be great in the past rather than Uncivilized
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.