[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you see the three abrahamic religions surviving another thousand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4
File: 1451619686959.jpg (216 KB, 1024x1420) Image search: [Google]
1451619686959.jpg
216 KB, 1024x1420
Do you see the three abrahamic religions surviving another thousand years? Another two thousand?

What do you suppose that the religions that replace them will look like?
>>
Jesus is going to return within the next 50 years.
>>
Combination of technology worship and raelinism.
>>
>>950980
we all know that even if he doesn't return in 50 years you will just add on another 50 years to your claim
>>
>>950974
It'll probably have shitloads of offshoots, and before you know it we're back to polytheism again with shit like Saints becoming actual gods and worshipped instead of honored.
>>
>>950980
That's what they were saying a couple thousand years ago.
>>
>>950974

You know damn well what all we care about are those godlike ladies.

MOAR
>>
AI will become so advanced that people will basically worship it as a god and humans will basically regress into a slave like species that provide the AI with everything it needs with a priest class emerging as an educated elite intermediary between the AI (which makes all of the decisions regarding the economy, resource allocation and what not) and the masses whose sole job is performing jobs that ensure the AI continues to run.
>>
>>950974
>Do you see the three abrahamic religions surviving another thousand years? Another two thousand?
If people are allowed to continue forcing certain beliefs on their children and discouraging critical thinking then there's no reason it wouldn't. I think that issue could begin to be rectified if a sufficiently rational government were ever to come into power, not holding my breath for that though.
>>951031
Fundamentalist religions do not allow themselves to be changed so easily, that's why we now have three popular versions of the same originally-Jewish beliefs, along with even more various interpretations of those three versions. Abrahamism will probably fracture more but that doesn't mean the current flavors will die off.

>>951071
also this
>>
>>950974
Haqqislam

One day
>>
Whatever will happen, Christianity is going to be the first to leave.
>>
>>950974
a new global christianity will rise centered on the Holy Spirit more than on the Father or the Son
>>
Islam and Christianity will survive in the 3rd world.

Jews will probably be around until humanity ends, their religion is about their community. It can survive with any aspect of the supernatural removed.
>>
>>950974
Zensunni Catholicism.
>>
>>951187
Chislam?
>>
>>950974
No religion.
>>
>>951187
>not zensufi
>picking a mainstream ocb religion

>>951202
Buddislamic
>>
>>950974
Jesus will come back as a woman
>>
>>951216
Why? What stops childhood indoctrination from people so devoted to their religion that no evidence to the contrary could ever convince them it was false or in need of changing?
>>
>>950974
Only God know.
>>
>>951240
I expect children to start sueing their parents for this stuff.
>>
>>951256
oh lol
>>
Reminder that parents raising their children in their faith is perfectly acceptable and only the butthurt say otherwise
>m-muh rationality
No you aren't a rational person like you think you are crybaby
>>
>>951231

Jesus was a woman the first time around. Lambs offered for sins are supposed to be female.

That's the big lie the Catholics are covering up.
>>
>>951240
The Imperial Truth and the Great Crusade.
>>
>>951281
yeah nah, women weren´t allowed to preach in that jewish shithole
she would have been stoned in the first corner she crossed
>>
>>951274
That's not an argument, but it does show that you support children being raised under Jihadism or any other equally devastating beliefs.
>>
>>951342
>Devastating
What makes christianity, inherently devastating, that you are forced to compare it to another ideology that supposes coercion and violence and death?
>>
>>951381
So now you're saying it's not your opinion that people should be allowed to raise children in their faith, regardless of what that faith is?
>that you are forced to compare it to another ideology that supposes coercion and violence and death
They're all based on the same original Jewish ideology that makes it clear that coercion, violence, and death are all morally acceptable if God demands it. Do you think no Christian has ever committed a violent act in the name of Christianity or because they believed "God" told them to?
>>
>>951415
You're projecting fampai. I never said that christianity didn't have followers who killed people, and did bad thing. But you must presuppose that those people wouldn't commit atrocities in an atheist belief system. I am of the opinion that anyone can raise their child with any ideology they want, but your comparisons are extremely silly.
>>
>>951415
do you know what christianity is?
>>
>>951081

fundamentalism changes through time. What is fundamentalism today won't be in another...even 50 years.

>>951281

that's retarded. Jesus was not a female because no one would've listened to a female. Unless God also altered all of human nature, why would God choose to deliver the message through a female? Even today we barely listen to women. You think ancient Romans were gonna be like "this lady knows what she's talkin about."

>>951333

this, sorta. She wouldn't have been stoned. She would've been ignored until some guards threw her jail until she got so annoying they'd just kill her.

>>951342

wtf is Jihadism? Strugglism? There is no such thing. that's shit white people invented to delude themselves into thinking there is a religious movement in the Middle East causing this violence, instead 100 years of colonialism and bombing.

>>950974

they'll exist historically, and as religions, they'll become what they were meant to become: small, local communities that help each other out and like the message of hope. They'll lose significant political power, but even else in the future will be incredibly consumeristic and hedonistic, and trying to end those things would end up getting religious people killed, so they'll just keep it personal and try to avoid oppression from the secular masses.
>>
>>950980
>t. increasingly nervous man
>>
>>951040
This. Didn't Jesus flat out say he was going to return in the life time of the apostles?
>>
>>951256
it will be like that Vonnegut short story set in the near future where you can sue your parents for not raising you right and making you neurotic

and each successive generation sues the one that came before
>>
>>951478
Yes, but he was talking about his death and resurrection.
>>
>>951458
>wtf is Jihadism? Strugglism? There is no such thing. that's shit white people invented to delude themselves into thinking there is a religious movement in the Middle East causing this violence, instead 100 years of colonialism and bombing.

i believe he meant to say Islamism, which has strong ideological ties to Nazism

i love your implied point though, that people in the middle east are robots or animals or something who simply must slaughter westerners and each other because they get bombed. you do realise that there are literally countless people who undergo such things and never become crazy violent murderers? plenty of such people in the middle east in fact

where do people like you get off in making excuses for murderers anyway?
>>
No but I don't really expect anything that currently exists to survive another thousand years.

In less than a hundred there is probably going to be a war between Islam and the western world which might end in it becoming an irrelevant and tiny religion. Christianity's follower count will drop dramatically when the baby boomers all die off but I don't expect it to outright die. Judaism has existed for thousands of years in small numbers and shows no signs of stopping.

In less than one thousand years there will probably be a nuclear war or a mass food shortage or some sort of massive plague that will wipe out most of the planet and most of the current culture, including religion. Maybe tiny sects will remain or maybe there will be some sort of revivalist movement but I certainly cannot see Abraham religions to live on one thousand years.
>>
>>951307
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
>>
>>951436
>I never said that christianity didn't have followers who killed people, and did bad thing
What's the point in your religious morals if they don't prevent people from doing bad things, and in fact encourage them in specific circumstances?
>But you must presuppose that those people wouldn't commit atrocities in an atheist belief system
Nice assumption, but I'm not supposing anything I haven't said.
>I am of the opinion that anyone can raise their child with any ideology they want, but your comparisons are extremely silly
You being incapable of countering common real-life examples that contradict your point does not make them silly. If you're saying any one ideology is as good for a child as the next, then you're saying violent ideologies are equally acceptable too.
>>951454
A whitewashed Jewish heresy?
>>951458
>wtf is Jihadism? Strugglism? There is no such thing
There is no such thing as Islamic sects that seek to impose Islam by violent force? I guess Daesh, Al-Qaeda, et al. never got the memo.
>>
>>951489
>Yes
He heavily implied the world would end before all of his apostles died

"the axe is at the root of the tree.." etc.
>>
>>951529
I think Paul also expected Jesus to return in his life. It's a doomsday mentality where Jesus is always happening "very soon"
>>
>>951489
that's retarded. even C.S. Lewis admits that he was speaking about the second coming
>>
>>951478
Yes and no. Jesus said that one of them would not taste death until he saw Jesus coming down from heaven in His glory.

That instantly transformed into "John cannot die." The early Christians thought John would not die. They knew, somehow, that Jesus was talking about John.

Rome tried to kill John, and failed. So they exiled John to the island of Patmos, where John was taken in the Spirit and shown the end of the world; John saw, with his own eyes, Jesus descending from heaven in His glory.

And John wrote down his experience in the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

What people confuse with this, and conflate with this, is that from the Beginning of Sorrows to the Second Coming is one generation of people.

My generation, not to put too fine a point to it.
>>
>>951529
>>951568

All Christians were told to live their lives in the imminent expectation of the rapture. So they did.

And guess what? One day they drew their last breath, and the next they were with Jesus.

I never see how the godless turn this into a loss for the early Christians; the only way we know they were not correct, that Jesus did not return in their lifetime, is hindsight.

You want to take credit for hindsight?
>>
>>951689
C.S. Lewis was deceived by Darwin. What Lewis wrote was not inspired. Men fail. God never fails.
>>
>>951718
I donno. John's revalation is dated to be from 95 CE. That seems a little too old for John. He probably wasn't the literal writer.

A lot of the bible is anonymously written.
>>
>>951718
textual analysis shows that revelation wasn't written by the author of the gospel of John and John's epistles
>>
>>951718
>What people confuse with this, and conflate with this, is that from the Beginning of Sorrows to the Second Coming is one generation of people.
the passage is pretty clear that Jesus was speaking of the current generation at that time, not a generation in the future
>>
>>950974
>future
>religion
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>951785
Religion :)
>>
>>951791
This is why mass genociding theists and enforcing anti-theism is the way to go for humanity as a whole.
>>
>>950980
>Implying he didn't already return under the name Haile Selassi I

>>950974
Also
>three abrahamic religions
>three
Anon, Samaritans and Rastafarians exist as well you know, and I think there are a few more as well, though they may just be cults.
>>
>>951730
>Men fail. God never fails.
>God has men write the Bible instead of magically producing a book of perfect divine wisdom that could never been subject to multiple interpretations or contradictions
>thousands of different offshoots result that all condemn one another to hell
Who failed?
>>
>>951950
>2016
>sola scriptura
>>
>>950974
Judaism won't survive another two centuries; mass defections into more liberal and liberal denominations until becoming fully secular, intermarriage - the stats are pretty decisive.
Christianity and Islam are both on course to make gains. China is likely to go full christian if they ever liberalize. Islam is still growing naturally.

These religions could be replaced through some kind of prophetic movement. You can't predict something like that. Maybe the next century sees another Axial age - we couldn't predict what would happen after that.
>>
>>950974

No, they've only got a few hundred years left in them. The trend is towards atheism and agnosticism in developed countries, particularly among the high IQ. The Abrahamic religions are only gaining in poor regions. It will be replaced by political, philosophical ideology and hedonism.
>>
>>951725
It's not taking credit for hindsight but pointing out what Christians seem to always believe. That Jesus will be returning on their life time and the world is ending.

They've been saying any day now for well over a thousand years.

With that in mind, it's easy to not trust when somebody says "Jesus will return within 50 years."

Sure.
>>
>>951934
Samaritans are as good as extinct, and Rastafarianism seems more like a wacky new age sect of Christianity, like mormonism
JAH HAILE SELASSIE MON
>>
>>951458

Are you implying that the violence in the Middle East started within the past 100 years?

Are you implying that Islam hasn't been aggressive towards all other Religions since day one?

Is your name Muhammad or Abdul?
>>
>>952478
Except Islam hasn't been aggressive towards other religions since day one.

They got on quite well with jews and Christians in the middle east and while in Spain.

If you want to cherry pick specific acts of aggression, you could paint Christianity in just as poor a light as Islam.

The specific brand religious extremism were seeing now is a modern phenomena.
>>
>>952175

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Islam is set to be the largest Religion on Earth by the end of this century.

As for everyone becoming atheist I don't know about that either. People like Religion. People like the community it brings. It is Christianity that is dead, not Religion as a whole.

I think you're looking at things through too narrow of a scope. Atheism is not a modern trend by any means, many people in the ancient world did not literally believe in the Pagan Gods of their culture.

I think Religion will always be around in some form.
>>
>>952491

Getting on well by your definition is conquering their lands, raiding their cities for slaves and making them pay degrading taxes in the public square of the city?

You're a fucking loon, Islam was founded as a war like Religion. Its tenants are designed to turn young men into suicidial fighters. Promising them virgins and eternal happiness in return for dying for Allah.

Christianity by comparison has hardly done a thing, and that's besides the point since modern Christian extermists are just outspoken about homosexuals. It is not uncommon for a Muslim in the Middle East to believe in Sharia, honour kililngs and suicide bombings.
>>
>>952503
I think what were seeing now isn't a trend towards atheism so much as it is a distancing of organized religion and established dogma in favor of more open and vague "spirituality."

At least in America. I cant speak for Europe.
>>
>>950974
I think Christianity can survive another two thousand years but with a significantly reduced following.
Religion can be strongly clinged to if done right.
Plus it's God's will.
>>
>>952491
early muslims "getting on quite well with jews" is a complete fucking myth and there are several instances of muhammad treating jews like shit and evicting entire jewish tribes from the arabian peninsula
>>
>>952515
One could point to the atrocities committed by Christians during the crusades, the Inquisitions, the burning of witches, and the persecution of greco roman pagans under early Christianity and say the same thing.

One can find quotes from the Bible that are just as war like as anything in the Quran.

There is still evidence Muslims, Jews, and Christians co-existed peacefully in Muslim lands and abroad.

Your brand of revisionism is just as retarded as those who want to completely white wash Islam of wrongdoing.
>>
>>950974
>Do you see the three abrahamic religions surviving another thousand years?
Maybe in third world shitholes but not it the core economic regions of the world

>What do you suppose that the religions that replace them will look like?
Mostly atheism with a fair dose of "muh spirituality"
>>
>>952544
give me a new testament verse in which jesus exhorts his followers to any kind of violence, or give me an old testament verse in which exhortations to warfare are general commands that don't refer to a specific time and situation in history
>>
>>952544

>Oh blah blah blah let's bring up a few cherry picked examples like the Crusades and the Inquisition and give them absolutely no context whatsoever. Checkmate, Islam is not violent!

Islam breeds violence to a greater degree than other Religions and always has. The saving grace of Christianity is the New Testament which places peace and tolerance above the hatred espoused in the Old Testament.

I am sure there are examples of individual Muslims living in peace with other faiths. Where did I imply that this was not possible? It doesn't change the fact that the ones practicing faiths besides Islam lived under a cruel regime that punished them for not being Muslim.

and before calling the Crusades an injustice do me a favour and look up the 400 years which preceded them, in detail.

I am not defeding any specific massacres the Crusaders conducted against innocents, but the Crusades themselves were the definition as a just war against an aggressive and evil enemy. The fact that people like you have fallen for the modern revisionist nonsense that labels the Crusades as some sort of proto-colonialism from the evil White Europeans pisses me off to no end.
>>
>>952566
>2016
>sola scriptura
>>
File: 1420693873984.jpg (97 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1420693873984.jpg
97 KB, 400x400
>>952594
>>
>>952594
Based in the anon's answer I don't even get what your post was supposed to mean.
>>
>>952594
pope "WHORE OF BABYLON" francis is not my leader. he is islamic gommunist and probbaly satanic as well :DD
>>
>>952623
Joonas
>>
>>952587
>Cognitive Dissonance: The Post

As i already said, by your own metric one can say literally the exact same thing about living in Christian lands. What you ascribe as being evil to one religion you wave off when attributed to another you deem to be innocent.

The fact is people died, quite violently too, or were otherwise persecuted for not being Christian.

>The fact that people like you have fallen for the modern revisionist nonsense that labels the Crusades as some sort of proto-colonialism from the evil White Europeans pisses me off to no end.

Please point out where i said any of this. I didn't. You're now making shit up. What i said was you can point to violence committed by Christians during the Crusades as well as several other periods in time and they are equally horrific as anything committed by Muslims across history. Especially in comparative time frames.

>Islam is not violent!
Never said that.

>A Just war against an evil enemy
Wew lad, you're hitting the memes a little too hard.

Whatever I'm over this. You clearly don't want to discuss history and would rather spout nonsense with preconceived notions of who is good and who is evil. You're the reason this board has gone to shit so quickly.
>>
Humans will be extinct by then
>>
On a side note. Why did so many people go against the reformation of England? Religion in itself is ridiculous enough as it is, why did they take such pride in defending the fucking church? It was, and still is tbf, pretty blantant that the church is nothing but a cashcow invented by con artists and greedy priests.
>>
>>950974
The Catholic Chruch is already laying contingencies for the discovery of extraterrestrial intelligence.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/vatican-astronomer-says-alien-life-will-be-discovered-but-will-not-prove-or-disprove-god-126813/

It's only a matter of time until they welcome general AIs into the fold.
>>
>>952671
>yfw it's just a matter of time Pope Francis kisses an ayy's foot
>>
File: 1459174235337.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459174235337.jpg
536 KB, 1920x1200
>>950974
Islam will become the dominate religion within the next century. Spreading the sword will prove successful.

Ironically degenerate atheists will end up cucking themselves because they're cowards who are too scared to criticize Islam and they'll keep chipping away at Judaism and Christianity, leaving the only safety net (Christianity) to wither on the vine. While Islam is left to flourish.
>>
>>952652

and you're a faggot crybaby.
>>
>>952694
That's retarded. Islam is already set to implode.
>>
>>952694
>Islam will become the dominate religion within this century.
ftfy
>>
>>952694
To be fair they're most affected by Christian republicans, congressman, etc. Look at how Europe is reacting now that it has gotten to know Islam first hand.
>>
>>952711
I woudln't be so sure, Unless the rest of the world puts their foot down and says enough is enough I don't think it will be slowing down anytime soon, unless communism takes hold as China keeps growing as the dominate state.

>>952717
That's what I meant, thank you.

>>952753
True, but PC liberals would rather be beheaded than called racists.
>>
>I woudln't be so sure, Unless the rest of the world puts their foot down and says enough is enough I don't think it will be slowing down anytime soon, unless communism takes hold as China keeps growing as the dominate state.

You're straight up retarded. Please learn geopolitics from somewhere other than /pol/.
>>
>>951934
>Samaritans
>literally only 800 people
>>
I predict that in 1000 years
>Christianity & Mormonism will have declined greatly in the white world and become associated primarily with south Americans and Africans
>Islam will have fractured to the point that Sunni and Shia Islam are distinct religions
>Ba'hai and the other Islamic offshoots will go extinct due to Muslim pressure
>Jews will keep Jewing
>>
>>951077
When ur a programmer and know AI will always be impossible
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.