[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the earliest point in time that the camera could have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: moncellenn0.jpg (166 KB, 1459x859) Image search: [Google]
moncellenn0.jpg
166 KB, 1459x859
What is the earliest point in time that the camera could have been invented?

Did it come as early as it possibly could given the technology required, or could it have potentially been discovered decades, or even centuries earlier?

I have always wondered how differently we would view history and historical figures if cameras were around during medieval or even classical times onward. It would be so different to have actual photographs of Roman legions, or the Mongol Horde, or Constantinople under siege, or even something as slightly early as the Battle of Waterloo.
>>
Camera? You mean, like, a phone?
>>
>>946897
I suppose the Medieval era if the Arabs or Latins writing their books on optics figured out a way to imprint images onto some material by getting lucky with some chemical reaction that didn't have to involve much understanding of electrical currents. It'd be accidental though.
>>
>>946897
The concept of the camera obscura is very ancient. Dating back to the end of the first millennium. It has become relatively popular from the eighteenth century.

However, the chemistry involved is much more recent. Several trials and errors were necessary, and even accidental discoveries, to be able to record images on flat surfaces by exposure to light.
>>
>>946972
But could those accidental discoveries have been made earlier? Could some plucky ancient Greek scholar have accidentally found out the processes for making photos?
>>
File: 1286826288744.jpg (10 KB, 183x248) Image search: [Google]
1286826288744.jpg
10 KB, 183x248
>>946897
>tfw photos would make us take ancient armies less seriously because everyone would clearly be manlets
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.