[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://screwplato.wordpress.com/20 10/10/15/ancient-greek-p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg (10 KB, 306x450) Image search: [Google]
149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg
10 KB, 306x450
https://screwplato.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/ancient-greek-philosophy/

The link says out loud what we all know: that Greek philosophy was a load of assertions that are unfalsifiable and badly argued and generally shitty.

WHY do people pretend that the Munchhausen trilemma doesn't clearly show the triviality of philosophy? You can choose any axioms you fucking want and then make the logical deductions ffs.
>>
>>1122221
>unfalsifiable
You're on a history board. An entire subject which cannot be falsified, in fact most things can't at all. Including your the ideas in your own post or the very idea core of falsifiable while you are at.

>You can choose any axioms you fucking want and then make the logical
Whether something works on paper doesn't matter, what matters is it's application and it's results. For instance, Solipsism is perfectly justifiable but it's not going to have any influence
>>
>>1122221
Except the Munchausen Trilemma is full of shit.

Proof doesn't need to be made infinitely because you would eventually get to the fundamental proof of every component of everything you're discussing if given enough time to express your knowledge of the truth.

It's just in the name of time and parsimony people don't bother explaining the fundaments of physics every time they're making a finer point about ethics. If you and whoever you're dialoguing with are autistic enough, you could start with the baselines of the sciences (energy, matter, math, etc.) and spend six months working your way to the original question about the nature of man.
>>
>>1122380
>I was only born in 1999
Are you a least 18?
>>
>>1122440
He's not, which explains everything.
>>
>>1122380
The relativity of morality and aestetics was known before Popper was ever born. Nietzche figured it out in the 1800s and if you really go far back the Sophists got it 2,400 years ago.

No one on this board other than maybe the Christians and Muslims want to pretend there is absolute proof backing their morality.

>>1122463
Well that explains the retardation.
>>
>>1122479
What about the atheists who deifty the scientific method? The Harrisfags?
>>
File: e09.jpg (42 KB, 600x540) Image search: [Google]
e09.jpg
42 KB, 600x540
>>1122221
>screwplato.wordpress.com
>I’m a 3rd year philosophy undergrad, and this is a blog where I’ll try to articulate my various frustrations with the way philosophy is taught and practiced.
>>
>>1122440
>Literally deleted his post
This is why you shouldn't study philosophy until you're ready.
>>
>>1122380
>>1122593
He was banned, asshat.
>>
>>1122635
Either way, I'm right. Who's the asshat now, asshat?
>>
>>1122221
Oh look, it's "Munchhausen trilemma" dude shitposting about philosophy again.

>You can choose any axioms you fucking want and then make the logical deductions ffs.
Yuh, logical deductions that don't deal with the world at all.

>unfalsifiable
Please read some responses to falsifiability criterion.
>>
>>1122221
>tfw i wanna major in philosophy
>my country removed it as as a major course
>tfw all i got is a brief dip-dip potato chip 1 hour class
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (97 KB, 866x693) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
97 KB, 866x693
Plato was the smartest man that ever lived
>>
Philosophy in general is a load of assertions that are unfalsifiable.
I have no idea why /his/ is filled with so many fucking philosophy fags.
Try to talk about science or technology and they will all get butthurt.
>>
>>1122725
b8
>>
>>1122725
>>>/sci/
I bet you're that autistic medical student I was arguing with who called all history "propaganda."
>>
but aristotle has been falsified plenty.
e.g. genocentric model, aether theory

platonism naturally can't be falsified, but neither can string theory as it currently stands
>>
>caring what a philosophy major thinks
>caring what someone who DROPPED OUT OF HIS PHILOSOPHY MAJOR thinks

Most of his complaints seem to stem from the fact that we read translations of Plato's works (Rather than in their native Ancient Greek) and that because he missed the critical point of Plato that Plato is somehow flawed.

Oh well.
>>
>>1122434
>baselines of the sciences
You can reach the ideals from the particulars?
You mean to tell me that all of human history could have been alleviated its problems within six months and the endless suffering of humanity at the hands of the Plato-Aristotle dichotomy might be solved?
Come on son, there is no baseline.
There is no "bottom line".
>>
>>1122731
>>1122732

How the hell is it b8? Almost all philosphy is unfalsifiable you idiots.
It's amazing how delusional most of /his/ is.
>>
>>1124806
is this meme?
>>
>>1122846
Question: What is A?
Answer: It is B + C
Question: What are B & C?
Answer: They are D + E & F + G

This continues until you get to questioning the baseline of all things, which to our scientific understanding is energy, and after defining energy and all of its attributes, you can say that according to our current knowledge of the universe, energy is the origin for everything.

Except going into that level of minutia is unnecessary and has no practical application due to how long it would take, so we accept certain baseline assumptions so as to try and make philosophical discourse useful in some way.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.