[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nurture V Nature Debate Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Personally i think it's 50:50, Just because a black man is born into a ghetto family doesn't mean he has to become a gang member, if he's nurtured in the right way he can become something great.
>>
I believe every human has a core personality which is genetic, but life events can seriously affect their world view and give mental problems, some people can again overcome those though, some can't.
>>
It's probably something like 10-30/70-90 (nature, nurture). For the past ~50years the dominant idea has been this "tabula rasa" take on the subject that argues everything is 100% nurture but i disagree with it.

Genetic denialism is bad but genes aren't everything.
>>
I think everyone agrees that genetics influence culture but many people ignire that culture also influences genetics.
>>
>>943661
Nurture is most of your personality, but Nature also has an effect. The Nature effect is very broad, though, so you aren't more likely to be a carpenter just because your father was one, but you are more likely to be good with your hands.
>>
>>943672
>>943683

this
>>
File: 1458255647046.jpg (117 KB, 725x800) Image search: [Google]
1458255647046.jpg
117 KB, 725x800
>>943683
>>943672

get this logic and reason off my board
>>
Too much violence in youth has been shown to lead to people having a lot less control over their temper. Which usually leads to violent behavior.
>>
>>943683
Is it though. It depends how well you know someone. On the surface it might seem to all be nurture, but i bet if you really know someone intimately you'd see their true personality. Nurture is just the mask on top, which protects our egos.
>>
There's no definitive ratio that I can discern. What I can tell you is that only idiots believe it's 100% one thing or the other.
>>
Nature vs nurture is a somewhat flawed view. A better and more accurate image of it is to imagine it as nature providing the limits while nurture place you in it.

Think about length. You've thanks to your genetics a chance to get to a certain height, but depending on sleep, stress and nutrition you may en up at the very top of your potential or at the bottom of it. Nature will provide an upper and lower limit for something, while nurture will decide where on the limit you end up at.
>>
>>943723
Did you reply to the wrong guy?
>>
>>943661
Yeah, niggs are genetically fine, maybe predisposed to being one fucking IQ point lower than whites, but their culture is shit, and only aggravates and is aggravated by how poor so many of them are. It's a vicious cycle, man.
>>
>>943661
He could, assuming he doesn't meet any resistance from racist, and if he does, assuming he can ignore it. You can be born into a wealthy, educated family and still turn out to be a sociopath.
>>
>>943672
It is hard to ignore twin studies where twins separated at birth use the same shaving cream, marry women with the same name, etc.
>>
>>943817
Where do these exist?
>>
>>943798
You could argue that since there is a correlation with being breast fed and IQ and studies show that black mothers are less likely to breast feed, that could account for the IQ discrepancies. Furthermore, viral load in Africa can affect IQ, malnutrition etc. Blacks who live in poor neighborhoods could be exposed to lead, which can affect cognitive performance and increase violent impulses. Though, what is interesting is black people's affinity for regressive cultural practices such as gangster culture. It's mostly the gangster blacks, that are dragging down the rest of them. Then again, any race can subscribe to gangster culture. What can be said though is that gangster culture needs to be eradicated.
>>
>>943661
>nature versus nurture

i'm so bored of this argument

While biology is inherently intertwined with culture, and has great influence on cultural developments, social behavior is ultimately a part of culture. It is clear that culture is more important than biology in determining behavior because behavior is a matter of culture in the first place. Why, you ask?

1. Without the concept of “culture”, social norms that regulate behavior wouldn’t exist in the first place – purely evolutionary mechanisms e.g. mammalian diving reflex, tickling response aren't nearly as complex as behaviors like gender conformity.

2. Behavior patterns can be altered, transmitted, copied, and destroyed over time, independent of biology. Take the sexual revolution as an example: in the span of a generation, gender norms and sexual behavior saw a radical upheaval. Yet in that single generation, there was no apparent major biological change that took place. If biology were the chief influence on behavior, how could such a radical change in behavior occur when there was no biological change at all?

In other words, biology clearly has a significant influence on which behaviors we manifest and exhibit, but it is only an influence, whereas culture is not only the housing structure in which social behavior arises in the first place, but is also the vehicle by which it is transmitted through

Behavior, then, is primarily memetic and not genetic. While it has roots in biology, behavior evolves in an independent manner from biology. Thus, culture must be the greater influence.
>>
>>943833
What I find interesting is the general observation that black gang culture is less sophisticated/upward-mobile than white gang culture. White gangs eventually are either eliminated or filter into organised crime.

But is there a big-time organised crime syndicate run by blacks? Something equivalent to a bigger bratva, an old sicilian mafia family or a more powerful mexican cartel?
>>
>>943817

True. But iirc twins separated at birth are usually quite different, but twins raised up together in the same environment start to share many habits and have that weird connection.
>>
>>943817
How are the two examples you have not just coincidence?
>>
>>943847
The hip hop industry probably has some in there.
>>
>human nature
>universal, from birth
>personality
>personal, both from birth and learned
>culture
>shared with others, learned
At least, that's what I've been told by my professors.
>>
>>943661
In epidemiology, there are three major factors that usually influence prevalence of diseases: genetics, personal habits, and environment. All three work together to contribute to the issue.
>>
>>943661
I believe that pretty much every single trait is for the most part genetically defined and that the "nurture" part has very little impact.

Sadly, both leftists and right-wingers hate this view, because the first fear it could be the basis for racism and the second dislike it because it makes them subject to something out of their control and clashes with their ideology of everyone being master of his own destiny.
>>
>>943692
>>943695
>tfw I get two nice (you)s
>>
>>943798
1 IQ point? No, they're actually one standard deviation below, or 15 IQ points.
>>
>>943661
Please don't make bait threads. Also, I believe half of each. A good education increases your intellect but some of it is inate.
>>
>>943847
Yes. It's the current American presidency.
>>
>>946328

The government is a gang, regardless of who is POTUS.
>>
File: 1459444077171.jpg (159 KB, 716x960) Image search: [Google]
1459444077171.jpg
159 KB, 716x960
Family values are important, but not necessarily a key thing. A neglected child can sometimes pave its own path to success as a "fuck you" to those around him. It takes a bright and agile child to do so but it's possible. So, genetics too, i guess.

Also, material conditions and general opportunities. How are you going to get higher education if you can't afford it, no matter how much smart you are and want to learn?

It takes a lot of factors to explain it really, not just nurture and nature. Sometimes it's all about right conditions and a bit of luck. But personally i believe that working with child from its early age is crucial in recognizing its possible skills and talents. Today many parents simply have no time for their children (both higher and lower classes) and kids are often being left on their own, and to the damaging influences of media and open world.
>>
>>946394
Family is natural, but it can be realized in an infinite way, so much that your typical reactionaries wouldn't accept it. Even when a child goes lone wolf, he still naturally thinking of a father or a mother figure, whether in longing or in denial himself. A stern and kind teacher, for example, could act as a 'father' for him.

People just wouldn't admit it, but our today's problem is simply neglect and indecision. It's not because of the Left destroying everything or the Right perpetrating the evul status quo, and so on.
>>
>>946425
True. What children really need are role models, at least until they're able to step in alone.

Today we're in a situation where family as a basic social cell is slowly being torn apart and school system is a mess which offers little or no positive influences for a child.

It's sad.
>>
>>946425
Statistics show that the "reactionary family" is superior to other ways of raising children.
>>
>>946394
I thought that bald dad was an ass.
>>
>>948838

Yes anon, i think that's the point of the picture
>>
>>946488
It's severely limited in its environmental scope, you have to control a large degree of society in order to achieve such in a large number. In fact, there is no traditional family system. Such system is influenced by subtly by the state in a piecemeal way. Things such as the formation of the small nuclear family in modern era, up to blatant family planning, contraception, and so on.

Family, in its base form, is really close to an animal thing. First base of codification. Take a look at how tribal third world countries are, or hillbilly/hood communities. Clans and shit, that's when a civil society fails. I don't think it's superior at all to modern nuclear family, which has been engineered and polished thus far for a modern civil society. Nor will the present one be forever the best one.
>>
File: 1459444461672.jpg (16 KB, 326x282) Image search: [Google]
1459444461672.jpg
16 KB, 326x282
>>948838
>>
>>946488
>Statistics show that the "reactionary family" is superior to other ways of raising children.

How do you measure that
>>
>>946488
>reactionary family

what does this even mean?

If you're talking about a traditional family of a housewife and a working husband in a monogamous relationship, you can forget that in this day and age.
>>
File: NorthKorea.jpg (63 KB, 422x512) Image search: [Google]
NorthKorea.jpg
63 KB, 422x512
>>943761
Neat way to think about it.
>>
>>946488
>statistics show
Where?
>>
>>943661

I think nature's impact is minimal, at least if we're referring strictly to genetics. The environment is very important to development and no amount of good parenting and Fresh Prince reruns is going to stop a destitute black child from needing to watch their ass walking back to their housing project after dark.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.