[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I learn about the Roman military structure, composition,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 307x257) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 307x257
Where can I learn about the Roman military structure, composition, and tactics?
>>
Internet
>>
>>942688
You cant, its a total secret religiously guarded by a cabal of ancient historians.
>>
>>942712
>>942690
why are you such dicks. better not respond if you've no idea instead of just being a dick on a Taiwanese knitting café.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 292x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 292x302
>>942716

Then don't be a fucking stupid bitch and be spoonfed such basic knowledge. If you wanted to know about funeral rites and traditions of Thracian Dii, that's something you might need help with.

But even then, you can always research you fucking pleb.
>>
>>942688

Usually in books.
>>
>>942688
I recall Polybius dedicating a section of his Histories to the composition of the Roman legion, albeit he discusses the pre-Marian legion. I don't recall him discussing the tactics in depth, but he goes over their equipment and the construction of Roman camps.
>>
>>942716
Dude you wanted an answer I gave it to you literally you got to be brain less as a 1 month old fetus not to think that the Internet does have PDFs , Go to the Government Web site for the library congress do any other than 4chan you will literally get nowhere
>>
Just ask any passerby in the forum you plebeian.
>>
>>942688
You're going to have to read some books, there's also a YouTube channel called Historia Civilis which is pretty nice. But yeah read some books.
>>
>>942688
The Complete Roman Army by Adrian Goldsworthy is a good start.
>>
>>942688
Use this.
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
>>
>>943737
>Goldsworthy

Can recommend, guy knows his shit.

>>942688
You could always read it straight from the horse's mouth and take a peek at Vegetius or Arrian, but it's classicising as fuck.
>>
>>942688
Edward N. Luttwak's The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire is a good if you were hoping to focus on the later Empire
>>
>>943886
You have to be very cautious with it though. If you don't also read Benjamin Isaac's Limits of Empire (which argues the other way) then you cannot hope to have an informed view on the subject. Luttwak is rightfully criticised for assuming that Romans had geographic omniscience.
>>
Rome: Total War with the 'Europe Barbarorum' mod.

Tons of reading material and accurate realism.
>>
>>942716
>Look mom! I said Chinese cartoon forum in a funny way again!
>>
File: pergamonvseleucids.jpg (538 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
pergamonvseleucids.jpg
538 KB, 1440x810
>>943926
Why not EB2? It's come a long way since it's fairly mediocre release.
>>
>>943934
1. it's not finished, while EB1 is complete
2. i like the mechanics and gameplay of RTW more.
3. Medieval 2 is too bright and saturated, and soldiers look like hunchbacks
>>
>>943952
Fair enough. I love EB, but 2 is probably better for someone who has never played it before. It has like 8 new factions and the campaign map is far better.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.