[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some his approved podcasts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: HH-current-239x239.jpg (21 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239.jpg
21 KB, 239x239
What are some his approved podcasts?
>>
>>942145
History of Rome and Revolutions by Mike Duncan are pretty good. The history of Byzantium is alright though I find it even drier than Mike's stuff. I've also been listening to the History of England, which is fun but David has a lot of issues with the early podcasts, and tends to stutter on occasion, but it's fun to listen to the history of England from someone so unabashedly English.
>>
>>942145
Carlin's take on the Mongols and our modern day perception of them was great. Didn't know that much about them tbqh.
>>
>>942190
Yeah I'm 12 episodes inyo the history of Byzantium after listening to the history of Rome over a period of 3 months. It's really not of the same standard so far, I find myself losing focus fairly often.

I might just get started on Revolutions to get my Mike Duncan fix.
>>
>>942251
Do it. Revolutions is excellent. I find he stumbles a little through the English Revolution, probably just because he's getting used to the new format, but French and American are great. Haven't gotten to the Haitian one, yet, but I'm really looking forward to the Russian Revolution in the near future.
>>
>>942190
This is terrible if you're used to Dan Carlin. This guy is so monotone and boring in his delivery. It really brings down the content.
>>
>>942239
that was an amazing series, can't recommend it enough.
>>
thoughts on kings of kings? first episode was meh but second was great, especially the second half
>>
>>942145
I've cut myself down to Hardcore History, Revolutions, and Martyr Made. The Martyr Made guy is definitely a fan of Carlin; you can tell by his delivery.

>>942337
Mike is more like an enthusiastic history teacher. Not as exciting, but the information density is great.

>>942362
The Neo-Assyria stuff was tight.
>>
>>942145
I just listened to Dan Carlin's "Ghosts of the Ostfront" and it was brilliant. I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>942362
I like it. My favourite ones were american peril and prophets of doom though
>>
someone post the batman thing
>>
>>943937
I really liked Prophets of Doom too, it was strange how the end he basically admitted he though the episode wasn't very good.
>>
File: based melvyn.jpg (24 KB, 300x415) Image search: [Google]
based melvyn.jpg
24 KB, 300x415
>>942145
Reposting my comment from this thread on /lit/:

Listen up, here's your definitive list of worthwhile podcasts (not that pleb shit like Radiolab).

>History of Philosophy without Any Gaps
>In Our Time
>History of Philosophy in India
>BackStory
>History of the Crusades
>History of Rome
>Revolutions
>New Yorker Radio Hour (+ their show on fiction if you're into that)
>Fresh Air (+All Things Considered if you're into that)

Those are the best academic/intellectual podcasts I've found. Carlin is a a notch below (still good though).
>>
Hardcore History is good, despite the fact a lot of the people will hate on him here.

>>944082
was that the one about the munster rebellion? Because I loved that one.

Additionally, History of Rome is incredibly well done, just started on revolutions. I just wish there was a way to have the episodes all combined so I can listen to them whilst at the gym and not have to change it every 20-30 min

>>944307
All things considered is pretty good too. I enjoy my NPR in general but they can get a little too left leaning from time to time (not to start a political argument)
>>
>>942362
i've been enjoying it

it drags in some places and picks up again in others
>>
>>942362
Enjoying it, I liked how he opened up on how what we call the ancient greeks knew that there world was old, kind of a cool thought
>>
Just listened to American Peril. I know Dan qualified his appreciation and soft dispute with Theodore Roosevelt, but I think he might have skimmed over too much of his life and framed his adventures west unfairly. Everything he did, he didn't "play" at. He was a legitimate cowboy and rancher.

The Philippines were an absolute disaster though. Completely. I still like the man and am thankful for many of his domestic accomplishments. Maybe the severity of his foreign actions do deserve to blemish him a bit more than I'd see him be.
>>
>>942145
Not podcats, but on youtube you can find lots of free lectures about specific periods of history from places like Yale. Real good stuff 2bh.

Yale University's Lectures: The Early Middle Ages, 284-1000: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL851F45079A91C3F2
>>
yeah blueprint to Armageddon is great, so is mongol hordes. Carlin is starting to really repeat himself.
>>
>>946129
Yeah, I'm actually heavily conservative, so it's hard to listen to NPR and the New Yorker sometimes. It's also why I can barely stomach 99% Invisible nowadays. But when they don't get bogged down in leftist bullshit it's pretty good. And regardless it's good to engage with things you disagree with, so long as they're intelligent, and NPR is usually pretty thoughtfully liberal.
>>
>The History of Rome
>The History of Byzantium
>Revolutions
>History of the Crusades
>12 Byzantine Rulers
>Norman Centuries
>Futility Closet
>The Memory Palace
>The History of English
>In Our Time
>>
>>946391
Donald Kagan's Introduction to Ancient Greece is on there, and that's some top notch stuff.
>>
>>942190
Yeah, the History of Byzantium is content heavy and runs dry from time to time, but occasionally Robin Pierson shows some really entertaining moments (Heraclius's campaigns against the Persians are 2 and a half hours of straight epicness). I like Byzantine stories.

The History of England is great, the British History Podcast is not (part of that is Jamie Redfern being pissed and Rome and the Anglo-Saxons because they ruined ideal Celtic paradise)- however, he does do a very good job of covering all topics of how the Anglo-Saxons lived. Listen to those and then go back and listen to the History of England.
>>
I loved Death Throes of the Republic, but I think that Logical Insanity was Dan Carlin's best episode.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.