[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did formal male fashion just become suits and really nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 5
Why did formal male fashion just become suits and really nothing else?

For like 200 years.
>Black, grey, brown suit
>White shirt.
>Tie.

The major difference is these days people sometimes don't wear a tie, people don't wear wastecoats and only neckbeards wear fedoras.

In the same time, formal female fashion has changed radically and now even females can wear suits along with all sorts of dresses and clothing items that come in all shapes and sizes.
>>
George IV thought they were cool
>>
File: jaden smith kanye kim wedding.png (463 KB, 549x417) Image search: [Google]
jaden smith kanye kim wedding.png
463 KB, 549x417
Don't worry OP, Jaden Smith's gonna change all that.

Here he is at the wedding of Kanye and Kim, probably the classiest most formal event of the millenium. That's Jaden on the far right.
>>
File: killme.jpg (62 KB, 500x570) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
62 KB, 500x570
>Have to wear a fucking suit to work

>Too hot for warm weather
>Too cold for cool weather.
>Outdated as fuck so I feel like cosplaying while in one.
>Uncomfortable as fuck (yes it's tailored)
>No colour allowed.
>FUCK TIES FUUUUUUCK TIES REEEEEEEEEE

On this question:
> formal female fashion has changed radically and now even females can wear suits along with all sorts of dresses and clothing items that come in all shapes and sizes.

Male fashion has to project power and professionalism, female fashion is designed for sex appeal for men so women can basically wear anything that is "sexy" and "elegant", also women are allowed to "dress up" to the better sex which is why they can wear pants, while men can't "lower themselves" to the weaker sex so that's why we can't wear dresses, togas etc.
>>
File: pallium.png (302 KB, 780x1650) Image search: [Google]
pallium.png
302 KB, 780x1650
>>941218
As someone who lives in a warm climate I think we really fucked up when we abandoned the classical robe. Apparently the Toga was actually mighty uncomfortable in its time but more practical wear like the Pallium slowly phased it out outside of very formal events.

Basically the perfect garment. Adjustable and breathable as well as elegant. Doesn't have to be immaculately tailored to look half-decent and no restricting and suffocating waistbands, ties, neck collars, etc.
>>
File: reeee.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
reeee.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>941218
>FUCK TIES FUUUUUUCK TIES REEEEEEEEEE

Man our school uniforms were suits (private school).

If you shirt was untucked you got afternoon detention. The back of my shirt often became untucked, so I got at least one afternoon detention every week.

Also
>Australia
>40c+ outside
>Had to wear ties and blazer and waist-coat in a small room packed with 20 or so other students with no aircon.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.