[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come no one worhships him today despite lots of people worshiping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 15
File: Thor9.jpg (134 KB, 640x815) Image search: [Google]
Thor9.jpg
134 KB, 640x815
How come no one worhships him today despite lots of people worshiping Yahweh?
>>
>>940924
Violence is bad.
>>
>>940928
So why do people worship Yahweh?
>>
>>940924
HERP DERP I PUT VOWELS INTO HEBREW WORDS THAT HAVE NO VOWELS DERP
>>
>>940924
>How come no one worhships X today despite lots of people worshiping Y?
>>
>>940932
Because they cut out all the violence.
>>
>>940937
Why are some religions popular and others not?

Are the claims of Christianity just that much more believable?
>>
>>940933

You want him to type in Hebrew letters you stupid faggot?
>>
>>940924

He's got a whole day of the week dedicated to him.
>>
>>940933

Hebrew words have vowels. You wouldn't be able to pronounce them if they didn't.

It's just that you don't really need them to read if you're fluent in the language. What vowels go where in a word is dictated by the grammar involved, and if you aren't a complete tard, you can work it out by just the letters.

Modern Hebrew's the same way. Pic related is from a newspaper, shortly before Israel's declaration of independence.
>>
>>940924

Because they got their arse kicked by Catholics. A bit hard to take a war God seriously when his people got wrecked by pacifists
>>
>>940953
Tetragrammaton is fine. YHWH.

no fucking vowels.
>>
Jesus is already at a cross so hammer attacks got -5 attack efficiency against him.
Thor on the other hand drinks large amounts of beer, so Jesus turning his beer into wine will have a *0% effect on health regeneration for thor.
>>
>>940958
YHWH has no fucking vowels, dipshit. on purpose.

Holy fuck this board is retarded.
>>
>>940958
>Hebrew words have vowels. You wouldn't be able to pronounce them if they didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuxalk_language#Syllables
>>
>>940982
clhp'xwlhtlhplhhskwts' is my kid's name.
>>
>>940981

Of course it has vowels, same as any other word, name, or even divine name. You wouldn't transliterate "LHM" instead of "ELOHIM" would you?

>>940982

Interesting. Honestly did not know.
>>
>>940987
baka desu senpai.
I personally prefer xłp̓χʷłtłpłłskʷc̓.
>>
>>940924
St. Boniface.
>>
>>940990

YHWH has no fucking vowels because nobody fucking says it in Hebrew because no fucking Hebrew wants to commit fucking blasphemy.

Holy fuck you're dumb. Like small irregular shaped rock dumb.
>>
>>940990
>Interesting. Honestly did not know.

Just apply this to everything, and keep your fucking mouth shut in the future.
>>
>>941011
>the autism is real
>>
>>941020
>I'll call him an autist. I know how much that hurts my feelings! He'll be crushed!
>>
>>940924
>implying no one is worshipping the Norse gods
>http://asatru.is
>>
>>941011

>YHWH has no fucking vowels because nobody fucking says it in Hebrew because no fucking Hebrew wants to commit fucking blasphemy.

And you call other people retarded.

Yes, it does.It does indeed have vowels. It was written no differently than literally any other word in the Tanach. It doesn't mean that the vowelation isn't known by literally anyone who studied under a Hebraic system. You are not supposed to say the name carelessly, or for no purpose, but it is pronounced and the etymology carries with it certain fundamental insights into the nature of God, especially where God's relation to time is concerned.
>>941014

Wow, what the fuck happened to you? Or should I be applying the same sentiment to you for thinking that either Biblical Hebrew doesn't have vowels, or that the tetragrammaton is an exception?
>>
>>941043
Holy fuck are you retarded.

There is no pronunciation in Hebrew for YHWH. They say HaShem, the Name, not whatever bastardization of YHWH you want to pick.

are you even a Jew?
>>
File: Boniface.jpg (236 KB, 744x900) Image search: [Google]
Boniface.jpg
236 KB, 744x900
>>941007
>>
>>940947
>a violent religion based on Germanic values and circumstances
vs
>an individual's teachings which advocate doing good and bringing peace

Gee I wonder why one spread and the other didn't
>>
>>941043
>the tetragrammaton is an exception?

Hey look! You posted something true by accident! The only way you could ever post anything true!
>>
>>940924
The Romans didn't own a province where the norse religion was widely practiced.

Seriously, what helped Christianity spread through the empire and later the western world, was roman roads.
>>
>>941080
Ideas.

Roads.

Which lasts longer?
>>
>>941063
>are you even a Jew?
lol
>>
>>941080
I would say the Unity of the Roman empire was more important. When it got a hold in Rome it could go anywhere pretty much.
Christianity managed to reach Armenia and Modern day Ethiopia without such roads.
>>
>>941063

>There is no pronunciation in Hebrew for YHWH. They say HaShem, the Name, not whatever bastardization of YHWH you want to pick.

Completely incorrect. Why don't you sign up for an advanced course at any given Yeshiva where you go into the theological nature of God?

They will pronounce the tetragrammaton, because it's important to understand what it means.

>are you even a Jew?

Yes, and I wager I know far more about it than you do.

>>941069

Except of course, you get similar linguistic games with OTHER divine names, not just the tetragrammaton. Crack open any Hebrew bible, and you'll see the chapter verse system place "tet-vav" for 15 instead of "yud-heih", so as not to accidentally write a different divine name. You'll usually see people deliberately mispronounce things like "Elohim" or "Shaddai".
>>
>>941080
>>941101
yeah then why then peopl left their paganist ways ?
>>
>>941103

YHWH is unpronounceable on purpose.

Jew.
>>
>>941166

It is quite easily pronounceable. You shouldn't pronounce it without a holy reason, but it is simplicity itself to commit the act, assuming you have functioning vocal cords.
>>
File: 1453766490661.png (134 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1453766490661.png
134 KB, 334x393
>>941166
>unpronounceable on purpose

It's blasphemy to speak his full name.
>>
>>941090
You couldn't shitpost on 4chan back then
You had to either preach or write letters, which was much more effective with a road system in place, connecting population centers across the empire.
>>
>>941064
Based St. Boniface.
>>
>>941172
It has no vowels, no intonation, no means of pronunciation whatsoever.

On purpose.

So that nobody would say it improperly.

Jews. Can't even rely on them to get the Hebrew right anymore.
>>
>>941305
>It has no vowels, no intonation, no means of pronunciation whatsoever.

>On purpose.
[spoiler]
KEK
that's some esperanto tier of autism[/spoiler]
>>
>>941305
>no vowels

Pronouncing words without vowels is piss easy.

t. West Slav
>>
File: Bonifatius.jpg (389 KB, 924x730) Image search: [Google]
Bonifatius.jpg
389 KB, 924x730
>>941301
>>
>>941343
serbian-croatin and czech cheat by making consonants act like vowel, see syllabic consonants, which is pretty common and happens in some most dialects of german and english.

But Nuxalk, >>940982 , literally can have long string of syllables, words even, of just consonant on consonant action, no filthy syllabic consonants or vowels involved.
>>
absolute mad man
>>
>>940924
>what is Heathenry
>what is Germanic Neopaganism
Fucking hell OP use the internet m8
>>
>>940982
So like Polish then?
>>
>oh look, it's another snow nigger muh pagan thread
>>
>>940924
I attended a blót a couple years back, so I'm not so sure about that.

Pretty standard stuff, arrange a space, light some candles, pour out some mead (Technically we used a 40 oz malt liquor) and speak the ritual.
>>
>>941627
No, it needs vowels, even more then czech or serbian-croatian. Its just really, really abundant with the amount of consonants per syllable.
>>
>>941640
>American odinists

Literally LARPers
>>
>>940924
It's actually pronounced Yod He Vau He.
>>
>>941703
Implying the gods are not creations of the European spirit and present wherever Europeans and their descendents are present.
>>
>>940947
most people aren't warriors and most people are peasants
>>
>>941822
Cont.

Unless you subscribe to the opinion that the gods are literally real and the universe formed out of fire and ice and a cow, in which case you are the LARPer and probably insane.
>>
>>941825
You have to be a warrior for Zoroastrianism?
>>
>>941829
No, but you have to be born a member of a tiny, shrinking minority that doesn't accept converts and does not allow mixed marriages.
>>
>>941843
That sucks.
>>
>>940924
the gods are an irrelevance in heathenry.

germanic peoples did reinstate kingly authority in religion during the reformation, so who cares what the god's name is.
>>
>>940924
No one preached Thor. I think it's interesting there's sort of a survival of the fittest in regards to religion. the more exclusive monothesistic religions that claimed to have an exclusive path to salvation killed off less dogmatic polythestic systems in much of the world
>>
>>940924
there are some. look up neo paganism.
>>
>>941347
Best day of my life
>>
>>941108
Post Roman missionaries
The Catholic kingdoms of Europe sent missionaries to places like Scandinavia
Charlemagne conquered the pagan Saxons because they were raiding his realm and forced them to convert to help solidify his rule and promote unity. The Danelaw converted after Alfred the Great BTFO in battle and they decided Christianity must be true because the Christians had won in battle. After missionaries started preaching places you'd usually have some kings convert and then other would go full tyrant and force convert the entire population to solidify their rule
>>
>>941828
>you are the LARPer
Except that's actually what the pagans believed
The only LARPers are people like you that imply they didn't and have preserved the "true" beliefs of the pagans
>>
>>941828
LARPer don't REALLY believe their shit, they're just roleplaying, which is the same shit you seem to be doing.
>>
>>940967
How exactly did missionaries work? What protected them from mov violence when they chopped down a sacred tree of say Odin?
>>
File: >Trees.jpg (144 KB, 988x778) Image search: [Google]
>Trees.jpg
144 KB, 988x778
>>942292
>>
>>942372
the missionaries would have been perfectly happy with being martyred for destroying a pagan holy site. mob violence wasn't a deterrent, they wanted that reaction
>>
>>942372
That generally happened in places where the overall ruler was already a Christian and the locals of the holy site were the only pagans. Destroying the tree was meant to show them it wasn't divine
>>
>>942375
>>941347
>>941064
Delete this. Now.
>>
File: Thor's Defender.jpg (67 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Thor's Defender.jpg
67 KB, 600x900
>>942405
>tfw
>>
>>942407
DELETE THIS...
>>
>>942400
the general thinking of christians of the time was that the gods of the pagans were actually demons (as opposed to non-existent) so I think it would be more accurate to say it was to show that the christian god was stronger
>>
>>942413
The actual cutting down of trees was more to show that the tree was part of creation itself anon and not the divine to worship. Saying the tree was a demon would be liable to get you rejected by Christians too (people who said witchcraft was real prior to the black death could be flogged in public)
>>
File: bagans rekt.jpg (566 KB, 635x979) Image search: [Google]
bagans rekt.jpg
566 KB, 635x979
>>942410
wew
>>
>>942422
I'm reading Richard Fletcher's Barbarian Conversion right now and there seems to be a lot of letters by bishops, priests, ect calling pagan gods "devils"
>>
>>942430
I said the tree specifically
They'd probably say demons convinced them the tree was special, but the tree itself was just a tree and chop it down to show this
>>
>>942436
This.

I'm pretty sure they emphasized this by using the wood to build a chapel or church.
>>
>>942436
yeah, i didn't mean to imply the tree itself was a demon
>>
>>942457
this>>942407 isn't a troll. what gave you that idea?
>>
>>940933

Autism.
>>
>>940933
Yahweh is actually fairly accurate
>>
>>942469
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwOdCdgKEk
>>
File: Hide Snowniggers.png (115 KB, 1305x893) Image search: [Google]
Hide Snowniggers.png
115 KB, 1305x893
>>942457
>>
>>940924
The reason is because he never got interpretted in a Platonic light.

All current religions that are alive either

a) Are interpretted Platonically
b) Are far away from societies that know about Plato
>>
>>940924
Apparently, you missed the memo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/11385603/Iceland-to-build-first-temple-to-Norse-gods-in-1000-years.html
>>
I've read the "Kings Sagas" or whatever it's English name is.

Essentially jarls and kings had their sons tutored and teached by schools and lords in England, Russia and other such places they had influence in. They learned latin alphabet, and they inevitably got influenced by christians and christian texts.

When the jarls and kings succeeded their fathers they began invinting some preachers over, began torturing famous local people if they refused to convert and raised armies to force as many as possible to convert to believe in "White Christ" as he was called. Temples were either burned down and rebuild as churches or they put a cross over the building and called it a church.
>>
>>942520
>"White Christ" as he was called.

Only the heathen called him that and it was meant to mock the peaceful nature of Christians who were "lily-livered" compared to the followers of "Red Thor."
>>
>>942483
>literally fedora-tier ex-christian atheists who need to fill their spiritual void with gods that allow them to be hedonists

Neo-pagans are pathetic.
>>
>>941548
Neopaganism is a bad joke. The amount of random people on the Internet is barely noticeable
>>
>>942653
And the Christian god doesn't allow you to be hedonistic?
> Man I've fucked and sucked and done so much murder in my life and not given a single fuck about Christianity, now I'm old, what can I do?
> it's ok senpai take this letter of indulgence
>>
>>942713
No because that's a strawman
Genuine repentance (i.e recognizing that what you did was evil and legitimately resolving never to do it again) is required for forgiveness
An indulgence isn't for forgiving sins
>>
>>941090
Roads?
>>
>>941090
Roman roads are older than a lot of ideas
>>
>>940933
They do have vowels, they are just putting the wrong vowels (and wrong consanents.)

The lord's name is Yehova

t. Native hebrew speaker
>>
>>940981
>זה מה שגויים שלא מדברים עברית באמת חושבים
לל עליון
>>
>>941011
יהוה יהוה יהוה
גם אמרתי את זה בקול רם שלוש פעמים
אוי לא עכשיו ולדמורט יהרוג אותי :(
>>
>>941063
Jesus christ this is pissing me off more than a million nazis on /pol/

Shut up
>>
>>941343
just adopt the ъ
it's there, you pronounce it, but you don't write it
dicks
>>
>>942653
>buzzword buzzword, buzzword, buzzword buzzword
Thanks for the input /pol/, so insightfull
>>
>>942725
>b-b-but its different when its MY religion
If you understood other religions better youd realize theres always a justification like this
The icelandic Asatru is the truest Neopagan movement. They held onto the old ways more than anywhere else in Europe
>>
File: 1459348391674.gif (1 MB, 400x197) Image search: [Google]
1459348391674.gif
1 MB, 400x197
>>940924

>Yfw you realize there are thousands of Gods
>You could be worshiping the wrong one right now
>You can't worship all of them, because it goes against some of them

>You are destined to hell regardless of what you do
>>
>>942815
Oh I see you're just going to shitpost when you get corrected
>>
>>942808
If anyone's going to be a neopagan it's /pol/
>>
>>941678
>really, really abundant
Its pretty much up to

(C)(C)(C)(C)(C)(C)V(C)(C)(C)(C)(C)

per syllable, but there's a lot of rules about when, where and which consonant can appear next to what, which reduces the maximum possibilities to stuff like in drgnie or pstry.
>>
>>941928
Jesus confirmed for dankest meme
>>
>>940924
As much as the bible has been translated and influenced by the cultures it existed in, at least we can say that it's still the bible.

The only major text we have for Norse mythology is a collection of myths by Snorri decades after the religion was wiped out. Sure we get a few artifcacts and rituals discovered, but they can't have spiritual significance if they aren't connected to a complete and honest practice. Some of the things we do know are also very clearly fabrications i.e. Thor's short hammer was created to look like the cross, so pagans could wear it on their necks. The myth about Thor's hammer must too, then, be fake.

The actual religion is dead for good.
>>
>>943251
>The myth about Thor's hammer must too, then, be fake.
Not necessarily. Only that its shape is not known.
>>
>>943256
>Only that its shape is not known.
That would make the myth of being made like the cross fake
>>
>>942825
>tfw it turns out some random Papuan tribe was correct
>>
Because people don't want religion to be metaphorical, symbolical stories that fuel contemplation and self-reflection on the struggles of life. They want their religion like they want their fastfood, quick and simple.

Literalist Christianity and Islam are essentially the McDonalds and BurgerKing of contemplation. There's no need for any complexity or difficult reflection, it's just 'God made everything, he told this guy, he wants you to fight the baddies and in the end you get to live forever as a reward'. It's completely narrow and provincial, perfect for a fast-paced consumer society
>>
File: Yaohnanen_Tribesmen.jpg (179 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
Yaohnanen_Tribesmen.jpg
179 KB, 1024x681
>>943753
>>942825
I'm pretty sure the guys who worship prince phillip are right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement
>>
>>942789
>Cyrilic alphabet
Thanks but I'm white.
>>
>>942740
It isn't, actually. YHWH only means "I Am That I Am", or more technically correct, as it is in the future tense, "I Will Be That I Will Be".

That is not a name.

That is a placeholder for a name. And again, intentionally made unpronounceable, and not said, in order to avoid pronouncing it incorrectly, and thus breaking one of the 10 commandments.
>>
>>942743
YHWH has no vowels attached to it, because it is intended never to be said. Hence HaShem, the Name, is used instead.
>>
>>942748
I think that's Beetlejuice.
>>
>>942751
Taking the Jew side. So typical.
>>
File: John Calvin.jpg (253 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
John Calvin.jpg
253 KB, 1200x1200
Because Jehovah is the Creator, holy, righteous, loving, merciful and God of the universe.

"Thor" aka "Zeus" aka "Molech" aka "Baal" represents Satan, the fallen angel, the adversary, the accuser.

Why should I worship evil?

Fuck your retarded pagan superstitions and idols.
>>
>>943795
This is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>944113
I think Thor derives from Nimrod, and Zeus from Adam. Deifying people is what pagans do. Ba'al and Molech are brothers, the sons of El, the demon god of the Canaanites, having sister Asheroth.
>>
>>944171
>Zeus from Adam
No way.

Zeus is represented with lightning, that always refers to Satan because he fell down from heaven as lightning.
>>
>>944192
I'm not saying the people who turned Adam into Zeus are anything but satanic. They are.
>>
>>944171
>Deifying people is what pagans do.
said the guy worshiping a man-god.
>>
>>944113
"Thor" aka "Zeus" is not my God. He is pagan and probably Lucifer as well :DD
>>
>>944259
Jesus is literally God coming into his own creation as a human.
>>
File: 1396058878189.jpg (95 KB, 483x720) Image search: [Google]
1396058878189.jpg
95 KB, 483x720
>>944113
>>944113
Yahweh is Molech under another name you fucking retard
>>
>>944171
Nimrod is an akkadian you nut
>>
>>944104
bullshit. hebrew is just written without vowels
>>
>>940924
Firstly they really never worshipped Thor, per se. Germanic paganism, an offshoot of PIER- Proto-indo-European religion, focused more on worship of the rote mechanical workings of Nature. Chiefly, the Sun. Thor, Odin (Wotan) and the like were seen as subservient to these mechanical Laws that governed both the Natural and Supernatural. For example, in one story Odin must sacrifice one of his eyes before he is *allowed* (or able) to drink from the Well of Wisdom.

Christianity states that God is "the Uncreated Creator" who is omnipotent; that God is the Creator of these rote mechanical Laws and that He sustains them.
>>
>>944316
Proof? Citation? Source?
>>
>>943779
this metaphorical meme needs to stop. few people in history have not literally believed the religion they follow. if they're just metaphors than they aren't a religion, they're stories akin to little red riding hood
>>
>>940924
people do worship him today
>>
>>944356
he probably made that up but there are signs that human sacrifice used to be part of YHVH worship. first there's Abraham and Isaac, there's a character n judges that actually sacrifices his daughter because of an oath to YHVH and in Jeremiah YHVH says refering to human sacrifice that he did not ask for it, as though people were saying that he did want it and Jeremiah was trying to convince them otherwise
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.