[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Differences between Orthodoxy/Catholicism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1455840726641.jpg (376 KB, 1600x1509) Image search: [Google]
1455840726641.jpg
376 KB, 1600x1509
Why did they split in 1099?

Will they be able to ever come together again?

Both seem great(I'm catholic) but a lot of my dad's family is Orthodox since I'm Russian.
>>
>thread about Christian sects

Dis gon b gud
>>
>>937087
HERETICS HERETICS THEY'RE ALL HERETICS DEUS VULT
>>
>>937095
Subhuman Protestant
>>
>>937101
Sure you're not heretic? Then go ahead and explain the trinity. I'll prepare a stake for you to burn at in the meantime.
>>
>>937095
>>937101
> A dishonest man soweth strife, and a whisperer separateth closest friends.

- Proverbs 16:28
>>
>Why did they split in 1099?
It happened in 1054 and was largely to due to spats between the Byzantine Emperor and the Pope in Rome over who had more power in the Church. Both viewed themselves as the head of the Church. Pope wasn't too interested because the Byzantines couldn't protect them and the Pope had more power and influence than all the other patriarchs combined.

>Will they be able to ever come together again?
lol fuck no.
>>
>>937078
This is a really nice painting.
>>
>>937095
>they literally keep protesting
>>
File: 1455834485815.jpg (176 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1455834485815.jpg
176 KB, 800x500
>>937116
You're welcome to have it friend.

Here is another.
>>
>>937283
Aw shit. I don't have the high res
>>
>>937078
Truth be told their were differences between the east and the west since early on, at least since the major church councils. They stayed together largely for political reasons and they broke up largely because of political reasons
>>
>>937078
The division as I understand it, is not so much on scripture but one of governance and hierarchy. The papacy and the pope were higher than the kings and were a separate entity in themselves and were celibate, whereas for Tsar and grand Patriarch (their version of the pope) in the orthodox church were more equal in stature, kind of working like a duality, in terms of power level.

Also orthodox priests can marry wives (monks are different though, in Greece there are places women aren't allowed to go), but in general priests are more connected to society and local community, than like some sort of heightened 'heavenly' connection like the pope.

I could be wrong so someone clean this up for me if I cocked it up.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.