[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were there any families among Europe's nobility that could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: inbreds.jpg (111 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
inbreds.jpg
111 KB, 750x500
Were there any families among Europe's nobility that could reliably trace their descent from Roman aristocracy as opposed to Germanic/Slavic racketeers?
>>
I believe there was a daughter of the Palaelogian dynasty of Eastern Rome who married a prince of Swabia in the HRE, and proceeded to intermarry with other royals.
>>
>>934856
And then some Russian leader claimed the title Tsar by marrying with the princess of the Byzantine empire.
>>
>>934847
Byzantines married off a bunch of princesses, mostly to other Orthodox rulers.

Also Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_antiquity#Rome_to_Charlemagne
>>
>>934862
>>934856

Anyone else, especially in Western Europe?
>>
>>934847
Few families could trace any ancestry prior to the 12th century.

But a sizeable portion of France's aristocracy is of Roman origin, for instance.
>>
>>936027
Well, presumably the Italian and Roman families, like the Borgias, the Sforza and the like.
>>
>>934847
The Merovingians were of Jesus Christ's lineage
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.