[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a non-bs version of pic-related? I really like the way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1842.jpg (28 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
1842.jpg
28 KB, 311x475
Is there a non-bs version of pic-related? I really like the way it's organized and written.
>>
What's so BS about it?
>>
What do you mean non-bs?

guns, germs and steel shows how white people once again screwed over the rest of the world pretty well. for their own gain.
>>
>reading a book on "what if's" pertaining to the most backwards civilization on the planet

Might as well read the man in the high castle as well and pass it off as truth.
>>
>>930811
Tell us more about what you like about it and we might be able to find you some stuff
>>
>>930819
For me it was waaaay over-hyped. His argument that superiority arose simply because of the conditions that happened to be perfect in the Fertile Crescent is shaky at best. Geographically, those conditions existed all over the globe.

At times I also felt that he was implying Western Europe was responsible for technological inventions that arose in the Mediterranean, Middle East, and Asia. Which is aburd for obvious reasons.
>>
I've been reading pursuit of power for one of my classes and I enjoy it. McNeil argues that Europe came to dominate because of its market capitalism that was born out of constant war in Europe.
>>
>>930811
If you like the way it's organized and written, I thought his book Collapse was much better and more fascinating (some of his "research" about Vikings was debunked but it's still a pretty solid account of their life in Greenland.)

If you want a non-bs book about environmental determinism it's gonna be pretty difficult to find because environmental determinism is mostly BS. Acknowledging the influence of geography and climate is a given for modern historians, but it's rare that they give it more prominence. Also, the better books tend to be more aimed towards academics, which I assume is not what you want if you enjoyed Jared Diamond.
>>
File: meme history.jpg (193 KB, 864x546) Image search: [Google]
meme history.jpg
193 KB, 864x546
>>
>>933802
WE
>>
>>933802
like clockwork
>>
>>933802
how is that domestication? you bred a buggy to form around a zebra?
>>
>>934026
DOMESTICATED
>>
>>930884
>Geographically, those conditions existed all over the globe.
Like where?
>>
>>935142
The Americas, anywhere from Afghanistan to China. Basically along the equator. Huge stretch of dank soil
>>
I always find criticism of this book to be extremely thin on the ground and nitpicking. Do you ever thing /pol could be convinced to read it?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.