[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should i believe in the Christian God?I really want to since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10
File: 1459498482202.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1459498482202.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
Why should i believe in the Christian God?I really want to since he seems like the most reasonable but even then he is still full of logical fallacies and gaps.And no Im not a atheist.Also i just got banned from one of the christian boards on the other chan because nobody was able to convince me to believe in their God.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137 KB, 1010x274) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137 KB, 1010x274
>>929144
>>
>>929155
>>929155
>this shit again
You dont even need to be religious to know this,you understand that right?I really got tired of this picture getting spammed all the time since its a fucking nothing.
>>
>>929144
God is an idea, not a metaphysical being. He's still the best thing we've got.
>>
>>929155
The problem isn't convincing atheists that religions and other myths are simply allegories, even the most autistic have no trouble with that concept.
The problem is convincing religious morons that it's pointless to pray to God for a good harvest or that they don't need to cut off their tongue after accidentally eating a piece of pork or that they shouldn't burn people who claim that their religious myth is just allegorical.
>>
>>929231
How does that even makes sense?
>>
>>929144
>seems like the most reasonable
Only because he's the one you're most familiar with.

Eg. Trinity makes no sense at all
>>
File: YfNPrzB.jpg (36 KB, 318x475) Image search: [Google]
YfNPrzB.jpg
36 KB, 318x475
>>929144
Is this trolling?

The christian god killed off basicly the entire human race instead of educating them or help them in any way. He punishes humanity forever for leaving them alone with a talkin snake that talked them into eatin fruit.

Compared to other gods hes a massive piece of shit, capricious, childish, brutal. How the fuck does that make him reasonable? Reasonable is not designing humans explicitely to worship him or suffer for eternity.
If you've not grown up with a form of abrahamic faith all around you, and read the bible without people bullshiting you about it, it would not appear reasonable, or good.
If you want something reasonable, try buddhism, it at least doesn't tell you to be sorry to have been designed faulty by a perfect loving god.
>>
>>929520
I know but at the same time i think im just misunderstanding him in some way which is really bugging me.
>>
>>929144
>seems like the most reasonable
>He doesn't know the Wise Lord Ahura Mazda the maker of the material world, the holy one.
W to the EW.
>>
>>929265
>The problem isn't convincing atheists that religions and other myths are simply allegories, even the most autistic have no trouble with that concept.
The atheists of the world would disagree. Their arguments against Christianity are "A FUCKING TALKING SNAKE? LEL xD" and "MUH SKY FAIRY KILLED PEOPLE". Just take a trip to r/atheism.

As for your latter point, I am against fundamentalists too. However, they are no different from the average atheist in the manner by which they interpret the Bible. You see, Biblical literalism is a corruption (whether it be by atheists or protestants).
>>
>>929144
I know this is anecdotal, but I asked God to prove to me he was real. The next morning my grandmother died. Feels bad man.
>>
>>929625
I heard about something similar to this. There was this literally fedora tipping sci-fi author who basically told God to show himself or else the guy would label him as a joke. Then he got a heart attack two days later and converted to Catholicism after he left the hospital.
>>
>>929619
>Their arguments against Christianity are "A FUCKING TALKING SNAKE? LEL xD" and "MUH SKY FAIRY KILLED PEOPLE".
Except their arguments are aimed at biblical literalists and fundamentalists, who actually believe there was a talking snake and that the big bearded sky fairy kills people. They're pointing out that it's ridiculous to believe things like that actually happened.

>they are no different from the average atheist in the manner by which they interpret the Bible
That's because "new atheists" learned to interpret the Bible from the worst breeds of American protestants.
>>
>>929144
>I really want to since he seems like the most reasonable
What even.
>>but even then he is still full of logical fallacies and gaps.
This is all religions at face value. There are, however, religions which have thousands of volumes of scholarly text that work to explain just about every minute detail of their theology. Prime example: Judaism.
>>nobody was able to convince me to believe in their God.
If you want to believe so badly then just believe, don't make that other people's responsibility figure your issues out
>>
>>929619
you can't tell me the original intent of creation story and the garden was an allegory. you need a literal Adam and Eve for the doctrine of original sin to make sense. just because le mainstream reasonable faith rejects it being literal doesn't mean criticizing it isn't fair game
>>
>>929717

That hospital's name? Albert Einstein.
>>
>>929717
so the trick is to insult God? so that's why he didn't reveal himself when I asked sincerely, i needed to be an asshole
>>
>>929619
Also if literalism is a corruption it's a really fucking old corruption. If someone had said at any time in the last 2000 years "I found Noah's ark!" everyone would be trampling over themselves to go see it and touch it because 99% of the population, including most of the clergy, had no doubt in their minds that Noah, his Ark and the Flood were literally real. Nowadays, claiming to have found Noah's Ark is just embarrassing, like claiming to have found Bigfoot, but you will still find a large segment of the population ready to say "HAHA WE FOUND NOAH'S ARK CHECKMATE ATHEISTS!"
>>
>>929625
I know this is anecdotal but I once jerked off to the statue of Apollo in my history textbook one evening. I felt really guilty about it but I shrugged it off and thought "well who cares, Apollo isn't real anyway." The next day I got a 0 on my history test.
COINCIDENCE?!?
>>
>>929144
Go watch the twilight zone
>>
File: stant.png (515 KB, 599x402) Image search: [Google]
stant.png
515 KB, 599x402
>>929548
Its.. You're not. Thats a hope you have that the universe shouldn't work like that.
Because your idea of a universe is not that of goatherders from thousands of years ago.
And if you don't believe the bible, and apparantly you don't, you don't actually want a christian god. You want something else. As you should.

And if you talk to christians, they'll couch it in nonsense like "its just metaphor" or "you don't have to take it literally". Because they want to keep up the label for some reason, and change the content. Thats weakass horseshit. The church is still what it always was, condems everyone whos not with christ to hell, still hates on gays, still holds that condoms are unethical, still thinks mother "i took money from the mafia" theresa is a saint for putting a cancer in remission that a doctor diagnosed as not actually cancer.
If you're looking for something reasonable, look elsewhere. You seem to have better standarts than that.

As far as history goes, moses has been accepted as entirely fictional by modern historians. Jesus's existance has been thoroughly put into question. Many accounts have been shown to be fakes by later christian scribes to bolster morale. What remains is shady as fuck.

If you want to join a club, theres way better alternatives, with way less baggage.
>>
What I find stupid is believing in just one religion instead of all them. None of them have any validity over the other so whats the point following just one?
>>
File: AhuraMazda.jpg (40 KB, 384x294) Image search: [Google]
AhuraMazda.jpg
40 KB, 384x294
What's going on in this thread?
>>
>>929155
>cultural relativism

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>929625
>>929717
Wow. God's a huge cunt. Seems like I should worship Satan instead, since I'm not going to be raptured and I'd like to be on the winning team for once.
>>
>>931010
People like you genuinely deserve to be executed
>>
>>931010
>condems everyone whos not with christ to hell
good
>still hates on gays
good
>still holds that condoms are unethical
good
>still thinks mother "i took money from the mafia" theresa is a saint
good
>As far as history goes, moses has been accepted as entirely fictional by modern historians
Patterns of Evidence
>Jesus's existance has been thoroughly put into question
No it hasn't
>Many accounts have been shown to be fakes by later christian scribes to bolster morale
No they haven't
Fuck off rebbit
>>
>>931394
Degenerates like you belong on a cross.
>>
>>929144
What even is the "Christian" God?
Considering Christians believe in the Bible, didn't Jews have Him first? Do they believe that replacement theology created a completely new God (See: holy Trinity)? And isn't this the same God that Mohammad declared was talking to him?
To call him the "Christian God" seems to be no more than just ignorant ethnocentrism
>>
>>931434
What ever happened to a good old fashioned stoning?
>>
>>931089
How can you even follow more than one religion?I really dont get it.If you follow more than one it would be better to dont follow any.
>>
>>929787
Kekendinho
>>
>the bible is literally a cataloguing the failures of the creator of the universe
>his armies get rekt by iron chariots
>changes his mind all the time despite being "unchanging"
>is extremely petty in several different ways
>burns people in a pit of fire forever
>sacrifices himself to himself to act as a loophole for rules he himself created
>reasonable
There's literally nothing reasonable about this guy.

If anything, eastern religions are far more reasonable than this hogwash for goatfuckers.
>>
>>929619
Why do you feel so threatened by atheism when the world its tearing itself apart on religious violence and billions of people brutally oppresed by religious dogma?when was the last time an atheist gang raped hundreds of women? or shot up a church ? or bombed a subway? what atheist country has death penalty for insulting Darwin? can you name a famous atheist spoke person encouraging uncontrolled ilegal human migration?
Atheism is not a problem
>>
File: 1358689273481.jpg (19 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1358689273481.jpg
19 KB, 500x372
>>929155

Adam and Eve Christian? Nah. That's some Sumerian shit, probably even older than them.

Also Buddhism doesn't say to go away from anger and shit. It says to embrace it and understand it.
>>
>>932702
>Atheism is not a problem
Its not but only christianity can save the west now.
>>
>>932932
Lets ignore the fact that the leader of the christian democrats and the pope itself are the biggest enablers of the refugee crisis
>>
>>932954
Yeah but thats not the good ol' christianity
>>
>>932964
Terrorists/rapists/zealots are not the good ol islam either : ^)
>>
>>932412
Since most of them have a punishment after death clause its better to follow as many of them as possible just to be safe.
>>
>>932967
But Islam never changed unlike the people who try to modernize christianity.Yes i know its sarcasm.
>>
>>932975
But most of them condemn people who have other gods.
>>
File: Dirty Profligate.jpg (21 KB, 504x415) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Profligate.jpg
21 KB, 504x415
>>931434
>>
>>929144
>full of logical fallacies and gaps
Please specify.
>>
>>929144

>Why should i believe in the Christian God?

You shouldn't.
>>
>>929144

how?
>>
>>931394
What he stated was true, though.

>>931403
You're an idiot. You think Jesus' existence has been conclusively proved? Aside from a tiny mention in Josephus and Tacitus writing some 60 to more than 100 years later, we have nothing contemporary regarding Jesus (unless you wanna be an idiot and claim your pseudonymous 'Gospels' to be contemporary, which they are not).

Fuck off back to Cripplechan, feet-kisser
>>
ok /his/, I think we need to have a talk. all of your religious shit flinging contests are getting out of hand
>>
>>929155
>idiot atheists not understanding Jesus and other religious leaders were philosophers hur de hur
This is top shelf horse shit. Finest I've seen in decades.

>Jesus is said to have claimed to be connected with Yahweh, the Jewish God of the Torah.
>because of this, despite being the leaders in science for half a century, literally half of Merica thinks the universe is under 10,000 years old and that we rode on dinosaurs, that our brains are body controllers for magical spirits, and we act selfishly because two people made out of dirt and ribs listened to a talking lizard and disobeyed a magical invisible masculine figure.

Actual beliefs strongly held by hundreds of millions of people that are comparable in lunacy to ideas held by billions of religious fundamentalist nuts.

Go fuck yourself with this retarded notion that religion is philosophy. Philosophy is philosophy.
>>
File: 1443427668781.jpg (121 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1443427668781.jpg
121 KB, 429x410
>>933503
>"He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees"

- Bart Ehrman

>"There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more.

- Michael Grant

>"In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.

- Richard Burridge
>>
>>933503
>You think Jesus' existence has been conclusively proved?

Are facts up for debate?
>>
>>929619
How about we tell you how our book is to be read, and not you tell us?

How about that?

>I SET THE RULES FOR GROUPS I'M NOT IN
>>
>>929308
Father is God.
Son is God.
Spirit is God.
There is One God.

Perfect sense. Unity in diversity. God in three persons. One Being.
>>
>>929520
No, your father, satan, killed humanity when he tricked Eve and caused Adam to sin.

Your father is the murderer, not God.
>>
>>929548

Well, He does not misunderstand you, and has told you that He will accept you into His family, if you believe Jesus is Who He says He is.

He took your sins upon Himself on that tree, and paid the price of them so that you might get to know Him.

Don't listen to these dark, depressed, degenerate children of satan; the statement "misery loves company" was meant for such as them.

If you want to meet God, meet Him. He'll be there. He promised.
>>
>>929144

>caring about some christtards and their moronic word games

What you believe in is what you do, OP, and judging from the number of christfags on here that virtually never talk about how many times a week they work in a soup kitchen feeding the homeless, or how much of their possessions they've given away to the poor, I can safely say that 99% of 4chan believes just as much in the tenets of Christianity as you do
>>
>>935080
Bible: Never let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

Fedora: Go on 4chan and brag about your good works.
>>
>>929155
>I believe this
>I don't
>Hahaha you actually thought I believed that it was just an allegory and you're an idiot for taking it seriously
>>
>>935002
>implying those are the only scholars who have examined the veracity of Jesus' existence
>>
>>935088

So you're actually proud about the fact that your beliefs never translate into actual action?

No wonder Christianity is dying
>>
>>929155
Couple of problems.

Buddha said some stuff, died, and stayed dead. Never said there was a God, never claimed to be God, said some stuff maybe about coming back as a bug, but nothing demonstrable.

Jesus said some things, did some miracles, did the impossible, claimed to be God, and proved it by rising from the dead.

You can bet your life that the Buddha now knows that Jesus is God.
>>
>>935100
The only thing I'm proud of is following Jesus.

The verse I posted, which of course you can't understand, is that God sees the hidden things, the things done in His name, in secret, and those things He rewards openly, in heaven.

For you to say all christians must to this or that charity work, or give up all their money, or they're fake is of course absurd.
>>
>>935120

>For you to say all christians must to this or that charity work, or give up all their money, or they're fake is of course absurd.

On the contrary, it's the only meaningful indicator for how much you actually believe in the words that are in your Bible. If you actually do some of the stuff in it, and actually take risks and are willing to sacrifice (by the way, this is also why the words 'sacrifice' and 'sacred' are related), someone might actually respect your beliefs, since they actually have an impact on the world.

If, however, all you engage in is cheap talk, like you are, people won't even hold you in contempt, they will simply ignore you. If you think that cheap talk is the way to instill respect for your beliefs into other people, all I can say to you is don't waste your time, because if you don't put your money where mouth is, people will never respect you. Ever. Nothing can make you great, no matter how hard you try
>>
>>935161
The people would have to see me. I would never tell them, or you. I value what my Lord told me to do, not what you tell me to do.

You are nobody to me.
>>
>>935167

>You are nobody to me.

And you're a cheap talker to me, which is even worse
>>
File: tumblr_m49yg1nmiE1qdj0h4o1_1280.png (1 MB, 1280x1684) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m49yg1nmiE1qdj0h4o1_1280.png
1 MB, 1280x1684
> this thread

L E L
>>
>>932774
>Adam and Eve Christian? Nah. That's some Sumerian shit,
Source?
>>
File: gentileschi_susanna.jpg (158 KB, 700x987) Image search: [Google]
gentileschi_susanna.jpg
158 KB, 700x987
>>936782

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panbabylonism
>>
>>929144
You shouldnt only fucktards are monotheist.
>>
>>937857
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMSsosBfkg8
>>
>>938094
All this video really says when one gets right down to it can be summed up thusly.

>>Floods happen.

>>Boats have been around for roughly as long as the oral traditions of Man.

As far as my understanding goes, everything else he talks about is purely conjectural. Perhaps I'm missing something though.
>>
>>929619
>why do you dislike x
>my religion says so
>why do you like y
>my religion says so
You wonder why people have a problem with this?
Philosophy usually has some kind of internal logic
>>
>>929144

And why should any of us try to convince you?

That's your job to do, not ours. If you're that intellectually lazy, then even our most convincing evidence isn't gonna help you actually think for yourself.

Do us all a favor and kindly fuck and read a ton of books on religion, philosophy and history. A bit of anthropology, ethics and sociology wouldn't hurt either.

Go do the work before you even fucking open your mouth. No one said convincing yourself of a thing is easy. So GET READING.
>>
>>939051
>And why should any of us try to convince you?

Because you have the burden of proof
>>
Believe in god if you want to, you don't need retarded theology to justify it.
>>
Then you don't understand your own want much less religion

If god was reasonable to you it is no longer the want to believe rather it becomes the the need to conform because it is the reasonable thing to do

It is called the leap of faith because you want to believe in it

The identification is wrong as well, there is no such thing as a believe in "their" god. Their requires god is their justification, your god requires your justification. If you are of wanting you have to ask yourself how do I find my god. This is a proper way because then you are looking for your own reasoning.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.