[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for Catholics: if I descrate the eucharist what is actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 14
File: iStock_000008917611XSmall.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000008917611XSmall.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
Question for Catholics: if I descrate the eucharist what is actually happening? Say if I burn a consecrated host am I literally burning a part of Jesus? Does Jesus feel it?
>>
You're guilty of the body and blood of Christ
You may as well have partaken in the Crucifixion
>>
Catholics are not Christians.
>>
File: u n ur mum.jpg (67 KB, 641x481) Image search: [Google]
u n ur mum.jpg
67 KB, 641x481
>>928856
>>
>>928860
He never said that, go play in another thread
>>
>>928859
>You're guilty of the body and blood of Christ
Oh ok. I can understand it's incredibly disrespectful, but what does it meant exactly that one would be guilty "of" the body and blood of Christ?

>>928861
I'm asking out of theological curiosity, not because I'd actually do it. You can substitute "I" for "one" in the OP.
>>
>>928856
>if I descrate the eucharist what is actually happening?

Nothing because you are an unbeliever - it is simply bread/cracker and wine to you and nothing more.

It only holds substance to people who truly believe.
>>
>>928877
"You may as well have partaken in the Crucifixion"
>>
>>928888
>It only holds substance to people who truly believe.
Well yeah, but I'm about a believer's perspective

>>928890
Ok, so that's because I'm damaging Jesus himself and disrespecting the crucifiction? Or is there more to it?
>>
>>928856
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_desecration

This was a big fucking deal in the middle ages, and Jews were often accused of host desecration. Not really a big deal now, and if it hasn't been blessed to become the body I don't thinknow it would be that bad.

Prolly shouldn't try it desu senpai
>>
>>928856
Well if you burn the eucharist it's functionally identical to digesting it.
The carbohydrates that the Eucharist is composed of will also be burned by your body to produce energy.
Though I guess if it's the literal body of Christ it won't really be just carbs anymore and will instead be protein and fat or whatever.

With the amount of hoops that the Eucharist needs to jump through to be literally true (All the hoops needed to avoid being scientifically verifiable) you're probably not burning the literal body of Christ.

>>928860
Catholic church has kept what they purport to be a Eucharist shaped piece of Jesus' heart in a jar for like 1300 years according to them.
Can't be significantly worse.
At least the Cracker being burned hasn't been transubstantiated.
>>
The idea that christ wasn't speaking in metaphor in reference to the bread and wine when he told metaphorical stories all the god damn time is silly to me.
>>
Would I get burned to death during the Middle Ages if I preached that it's just a symoblic act?
>>
>>928983
*symbolic
>>
>>928983
I really can't tell the difference between "it's symbolic" and the Catholics saying it is literally the body of Christ yet still bread. the only explanation I can think of is that Jesus is the Pillsbury dough boy
>>
File: BrendanFraser.jpg (187 KB, 500x623) Image search: [Google]
BrendanFraser.jpg
187 KB, 500x623
>adults believe this
>>
>>929059
>literally the body of Christ yet still bread.

That's the "transcendent mystery" of it, i.e. claiming the fact that it's literally nonsense is a feature, not a bug, so as to preempt any rational critique.
>>
It doesn't matter because Jesus died for your sins. You can do anything you want now.
>>
>>929114
ok, I'm coming to rape your Jesus bread
>>
>>929114
>You can do anything you want now.

but only if you say ten Hail Marys after
>>
File: 1329097393654.gif (932 KB, 175x131) Image search: [Google]
1329097393654.gif
932 KB, 175x131
>>928856

>be in catholic school whole life
>10th grade religion class
>teacher ask us what the eucharist is
>"Its a symbol of the body and blood of christ at the last supper"
>WRONG! it is transformed into the literal body and blood of christ after transubstantiation

this was the EXACT moment I stopped being catholic
>>
>>929133
b-but anon, it's not supposed to make sense. nonsense tests your faith
>>
File: 1459382331727.jpg (71 KB, 450x618) Image search: [Google]
1459382331727.jpg
71 KB, 450x618
back in the good old days of glorious Catholic Spain im pretty sure it wouldve justly earned you the death penalty - and not from the Church but from the divinely sanctioned State.
>>
>>929101
lol, totally. A fair amount of theology has some logical basis, but the literal body and blood thing is just "it's a miracle, ain't gonna explain shit".
>>
>>928937
It was an even bigger deal in the 18th and 19th century when radical anti-clericalism was in fashion. They literally had to pass laws to stop people from shitting on the eucharist or wiping their asses with pages from the bible and rubbing it in the clergy's face.
>>
>>928937

>https://en.m

>>>/pol/
>>
>>929242
Funny how certain people think the whole anti organised religion thing started in the 60s. There's a long and hallowed tradition of literally shitting on religion.
>>
>>929336
>hallowed
>shitting on religion

Ironic, ain't it?
>>
>>929133
>transubstantiation

Literally heresy-tier. The orthodox have a much better answer as to how the Eucharist becomes the body of Christ - "we just don't know."
>>
>>929133
So you got an answer wrong and you quit the whole thing?

Wow, that's petty. Imagine if you renounced your American Citizenship because you got the name of the 28th president wrong.

Also
ITT: people who are so damn prideful that they literally can't if there is no explanation they deem good enough.
>>
>>929343
That's what I was going for, lol
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 480x892) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 480x892
>>929364
Transubstantiation is "we just don't know." Because even then, we still don't know. How can a thing change its substance but not its accidents? We don't know.

Either way, we still both believe it stops being bread and starts being God, unlike those truly heretical Protestants who deny it entirely.
>>
>>929364
That seems to be the Orthodox answer to a lot of things. I can appreciate the mysticism, and it's cool to see how theology developed outside of west european rational thought.
>>
>>929365

I didnt quite because I got the answer wrong, It quite because it being the literal body and blood of christ is retarded.

Even in the fucking story of the last supper, the bread and wine was just symbolic
>>
>>929365
applause for having zero reading comprehension
>>
>>928888
What would happen if a believer of the Catholic faith had pooped on the objective piece of bread? Would they be pooping on the body of Jesus since it turns into his body when in the perception of a catholic believer.

I knew a poor bloke who needed a blood transfusion but he ended up getting the blood bag that was supposed to be sent to the hospital's small church for holy communion. Long story short he died shortly into the operation from alcohol poisoning. Shame he didn't accept god
>>
File: noitdoesn't.jpg (39 KB, 575x324) Image search: [Google]
noitdoesn't.jpg
39 KB, 575x324
>"this bread and wine actually turn into the literal flesh and blood of Christ by a miracle, but wait, there's more!
>"another miracle simultaneously happens that allows the now-transformed actual flesh and blood of Christ to retain the appearance, taste, smell, texture, and even chemical properties of bread and wine!"

Who the fuck actually believes this shit?
>>
>>930585
Just a bit of shitposting no need to be upset
>>
File: 1459764978145[1].jpg (285 KB, 1484x1079) Image search: [Google]
1459764978145[1].jpg
285 KB, 1484x1079
>>928860
Catholics are the truest christians, no other sect displays so much love for so many people.
>>
File: mOnvOJG.png (298 KB, 2271x2380) Image search: [Google]
mOnvOJG.png
298 KB, 2271x2380
>"Vicar" of Christ
>Exists in this world
>Jesus said his kingdom was "Not of this world"

What did the catholic mean by this?
>>
File: 3529518065_2846b03d53.jpg (105 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
3529518065_2846b03d53.jpg
105 KB, 500x332
23. For perfume mix meal & honey & thick leavings of red wine: then oil of Abramelin and olive oil, and afterward soften & smooth down with rich fresh blood.
24. The best blood is of the moon, monthly: then the fresh blood of a child, or dropping from the host of heaven: then of enemies; then of the priest or of the worshippers: last of some beast, no matter what.
25. This burn: of this make cakes & eat unto me. This hath also another use; let it be laid before me, and kept thick with perfumes of your orison: it shall become full of beetles as it were and creeping things sacred unto me.
26. These slay, naming your enemies; & they shall fall before you.
27. Also these shall breed lust & power of lust in you at the eating thereof.
28. Also ye shall be strong in war.
29. Moreover, be they long kept, it is better; for they swell with my force. All before me.

~Liber L vel Legis, Ch. 3
>>
>>932845
tl;dr god wants you to eat menstrual blood
>>
According to Catholics, if you eat the eucharist, it substantially turns into the body of Christ. Aside from cannibalism, it also means that you digest parts of Christ, and eventually turn those parts to shit. How is it possible for the body of Christ - something that has divine qualities - to turn to feces? Is the shit I take after the eucharist also substantially the body of Christ? Isn't that blasphemous as hell?
>>
>>932858
You know that's from a Crowley book, right?
>>
>>932858
Ideally, imo, it should be menstrual fluid cominged with semen. I'm 99% certain that's what "blood of a child" and "host of heaven" refer to.
>>
The abominable doctrine of the Mass was rightly attacked by Wycliffe.

That my Lord must be sacrificed and, in the words of the council of Trent, 'immolated' in total every time the Mass is performed, is a doctrine of devils. The bible is very clear. Christ was sacrificed once for our sins, both the book of Hebrews and the book of Romans testify to that. Paul makes it very clear that Christ cannot be 'immolated' again, death having no power over Him.
>>
>>932919
Fun fact, the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews is suspect, as the writing is simply too polished to be Paul.
>>
>>932845
What the shit is this?

No, seriously?
>>
>>932938
The recipe listed in Crowley's Book of the Law indicating how to prepare Cakes of Light, the eucharistic component of the Gnostic Mass and Mass of the Phoenix:

http://hermetic.com/sabazius/gnostic_mass.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib44.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpKachYTr-4
>>
>>928856
You commit sacrilege first a foremost. A list of sins committed would be:

Possibly receiving a transubstantiated host without being in a state of grace or a member of the church.
Willful failure to partake of the lord's sacrifice for you if it's done in place of normal Eucharistic celebration on Sunday.
Profaning the holy body of Christ.

That's like three mortal sins in a row, and certainly not good. As far as the physical effects with the moral, you're profaning the body of the lord. Before transubstantiation, you're destroying a piece of bread.
>>
>>929059
Think of it more like a concept. A house can be a home, but there's nothing physical that makes it a home; it's a concept assigned to it, but even though there's no actual change to the house, it doesn't make it any less of a home.

So to is the transubstantiation. It's still a piece of bread, but it's also a piece of the divine body of Christ. The accidents of bread are still there, but it's something more.
>>
>>934758
See: (>>930585)

How can anyone believe something so ridiculous?

Not even Protestant.
>>
>>934779
but then that means that it's not actually christ's flesh, you're just calling it that. If i call my shoe a home no transubstantiation is involved
>>
>>934780
Is the issue with the belief in transubstantiation, or the effects, assuming transubstantiation is true, of desecrating a host? Because asking what a Catholic says is the consequences of burning the Eucharist and chastising them for not arriving at the non-Catholic conclusion is pretty foolish.

Now, if you're wanting to debate transubstantiation, that's another topic, but at least be direct about it.
>>
>>929087
Damn what the hell happened to him?
>>
>>928863
Yeah, it was just weird OP asked Catholics, aka the Church of Peter, something about Jesus, when they have nothing to do with Jesus whatsoever.
>>
>>928901
Dude, nothing happens. There's no connection between the cracker and Jesus, or the juice and Jesus. Just because the Catholics think there is, doesn't make it so.

They're just pagans. Burn all the crackers you want. You'll be no worse off than before.
>>
>>929114

But for one.

And if you don't know the one, you're probably committing it, right now.
>>
>>932845
Which group is the oldest on record to believe in "Eat God, Be God"? Egypt? Babylon? Sumerian?
>>
>>932881
Yes, yes it is. That's why we call the Roman Catholic Church the Whore of Babylon, and say she is full of abominations and blasphemies.

Jesus taught as you say. What goes in the mouth, comes out the draft.
>>
>>932925
It was the Epistle of Paul to the Hebrews for centuries.

Never trust a liberal scholar. Ever.
>>
If God exists, then miracles are possible, and transubstantiation can be a miracle.

If you reject any of these premises then of course you won't accept the doctrine.

You're just begging the question.
>>
>>932881
The Lord is present only as long as the appearance of bread is maintained.

You could correct your own misunderstandings with a simple google search.

All of the issues brought up in this thread were addressed by the Church CENTURIES ago.
>>
If we build a life-size statue of Jesus out of communion wafers and get a bunch of priests to transubstantiate it, will the Second Coming happen?
>>
File: Disdain.jpg (36 KB, 229x326) Image search: [Google]
Disdain.jpg
36 KB, 229x326
>Does Jesus feel it?

Considering that catholics squash them with their theeth and then continue to digest them in a bubble of stomach-acid, the son probably thought about implementing direct pain to these things twice.

I dont have to be a catholic to come to this conclusion. The act of burning is a heightened form against god's proxy on earth in form of a cookie I guess.
>>
>>934918
Obviously analogies aren't perfect. Your shoe wouldn't be a home even if you called it that, because it wouldn't have the substance of s home. An inhabited house is metaphysically both a house and a home. An abandoned house is no longer metaphyisically a home. The Eucharist is metaphyisically the Body of Christ because a miraculous intervention by God that gives it that substance. You're not God so you can't change the metaphysical substance of something through your word. Jesus is the Word of God Who spoke being itself into existence out of nothing, and the priest acts in the person of Jesus during the Mass, repeating Jesus' words of the Last Supper.
>>
*heightened form of blasphemy.
>>
>>935160
metaphysically is a buzz word without meaning. in what way is it anything more than bread? it doesn't gain any additional properties
>>
>>935073
Miracles are possible.

God commanding people to violate His Law, be cannibals, and vampires, is not.
>>
>>935101
The Lord is present when two or more are gathered in His name.

He is not a baked good.
>>
>>935101
so it has to maintain the appearance of bread. if I make a statue out of communion wafers in the shape of a duck and paint it to be extremely life like is it no longer the body of christ?
>>
>>935160
No, no it is not. Not according to the bible.

Remember the bible? The Word of God?

Hebrews 10:10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Once

For

All
>>
>>935227
it also has Jesus presenting his blood in an actual temple
>>
>>935235
Yes, in heaven, where the real ark of the covenant is, and where the real mercy seat resides.

The one the Hebrews made is a copy.
>>
>>935312
do you realize that's an idea out of platonism?
>>
>>930585
At least 1 billion people
>>
>>935321
No, because it is not. This is not some sort of shadow land.

The real ark of the covenant was made by God, and is in heaven.

Revelation 11:19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.
>>
>>935347
actually it is. platonism has "real" objects like your temple and ark of the covenant in heaven while those on earth are imperfect copies. it's exactly the same. christianity even uses the same terminology of platonism, ie Son of God, Logos
>>
>>930585
Pagans. Catholics. Not sure about Eastern Orthodox.

You never heard "eat the heart of your enemy, and grow strong"?
>>
>>932824
It means they have their own thing going in Rome, that has nothing to do with Jesus.
>>
>>935364
Again, this is a singular piece of furniture, not "everything".

If you think Plato knows more about the universe then Jesus, worship Plato.

A man about whom you know nothing.
>>
>>935364
Gee, the Old Testament was around for what, more than a thousand years before Plato existed, if he in fact did exist?
>>
>>935371
I don't agree with Plato, I'm just pointing out christianity borrowed concepts from him. saying that christianity doesn't have a perfect version of every doesn't disprove that platonic ideas are being used in regard to the temple in heaven
>>
>>935375
this is the new testement I'm refering to, not the old
>>
>>935377
*everything
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences
>required reading for all Christians

Do ou fucks want to stand a chance against secularism and Islam in the next century?
y'all need to forget about small potatoes shit like whether a cracker and some booze is or isn't God
>>
>>935377
Holy mackerel.

No, it did not.

Plato never confessed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, Who died for the sins of the world, and rose on the third day; and that whosoever confesses with their mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believes in his heart God raised Him from the dead, shall be saved.

Plato never said that.

>Christian men borrowed peeing standing up from Plato!
>>
>>935395
this has been the entire history of christianity. see arianism
>>
>>935382

Are you aware that there are hundreds of references to the Messiah in the OT?

That verses like this exist?

Genesis 15:4 And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir.”

Look familiar? The Word of the LORD?
>>
If it has been consecrated then you have committed heresy and should see your nearest commissar to be BLAMMED, but yeah just go to confession
If it hasn't been consecrated then it's a venial sin so dosent really matter
Look up what happened to the communists in the Spanish civil war when they desecrated the host
>>
>>935400
wow, you sure took down that strawman. Plato used the terms Son of God and Logos before they were ever applied to Jesus
>>
>>935395
>Says the guy with an alligator on his shirt.
>>
>>935415
Genesis was written @ 1400 BC.

Plato was born @428 BC.

Want to take another run at that?
>>
>>935412
the messiah is referenced in the OT, correct. but the further developed messiah of the NT incorporates platonic concepts
>>
>>935423
again with the strawmanning
>>
File: hmm.jpg (6 KB, 246x250) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
6 KB, 246x250
so do Catholics believe that Jesus fed his actual body and blood to his disciples at the last supper?
>>
>>935423
>written in 1400BC
Hebrew didn't exist as a language until 1000BC
>>
>>935424
Again, no, no He does not. He is God.

He is not a platonic thought project.

If you want to find someone who intuited Jesus, read Job. Plato was a drooling cripple next to Job.
>>
>>935427
You're saying the earlier work was derived from the later work; in fact, you're saying Plato developed and used a time machine to invent terms already in the bible a thousand years.

This Plato worship has to stop. It's ruining the children.
>>
>>935438
No, and they refuse to see that not only could He have, but that Judas partook in the Last Supper and went to hell.

They're kind of hoping their recreation of the Last Supper gets them into heaven.

They're as wrong as Judas.
>>
>>935442
You may want to tell the Hebrews that, who had been writing things down since 1800 BC.
>>
>>935459
Saying he's real doesn't get rid of the evidence. I really don't care if Job is smarter than Plato. Plato said some really retarded shit, retarded shit that apparently inspired the NT writers when they wrote about Jesus
>>
>>935466
I'm not talking about stuff in Genesis, I'm talking about NT writings written long after Plato's time
>>
>>935477
The Holy Spirit of God inspired the writers of the New Testament, not Plato.

Plato is not God.

You need to get a hold of yourself.
>>
>>935480
What is hidden in the Old is revealed in the New.

You're just as retarded as the people who think Zoroaster made up his own religion, not knowing that he just believed the scrolls the Jews took into captivity.
>>
>>935481
You're the one who is worshipping a platonic God, not me
>>
>>935487
hidden in the old really means not actually in the old and later read into the passage with a giant leap of logic
>>
>>935488
God made Plato. Plato did not make God.
>>
>>932816
This is soooo tolerant
>>
File: 1347392332179.jpg (22 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1347392332179.jpg
22 KB, 500x375
>>935459
>Plato was a drooling cripple next to Job.
Job sat and watched as God let Satan murder his entire family

Job was a cuck

Plato was one of the finest minds who ever lived, Plato shits on Job along with every other sand eating kike in your retarded little book
>>
>>935493
Not so much, no. You just have to love the truth, which is something you need to develop.
>>
>>935498
that is completel irrelevant to whether your concept of God is influenced by Plato's ideas
>>
>>935504
I love the truth apparently more than you do. I follow the evidence while you just plug your ears and hold onto what you've been told
>>
>>935500
Not only did Job predate all of the books of the bible, but Job realized what you could not.

That there was a God, and He is worthy of all worship.

That there is a God, and that He is holy, just and righteous.

And that if ever a man needed to petition God for any reason whatsoever, that there needed to be an intermediary, an intercessor, a mediator, and that mediator must be God Himself.

Job not only figured out Who God is, and worshiped Him, but continued to worship Him his entire life. And Job deduced that there must be coming a Messiah, a mediator, to put one hand on man, and one hand on God, and bring the two parties together.

Compared to Job, who had zero biblical writings to plagiarize, Plato was stillborn.
>>
>>935513
I didn't realize so much could be pulled out of one's ass
>>
>>935507
I don't have a concept of God. I have a God. And He has me.

And He is independent of whatever Plato thought of him. I might add, your reliance on any extant manuscripts of Plato, which can be numbered on two hands, demonstrates your bias against the bible, which has tens of thousands of extant manuscripts.
>>
>>935512

You don't know the truth. It's so painfully obvious that you don't know the truth. I'll tell you why.

Jesus is The Truth. And you don't know Him, and He doesn't know you.
>>
>>935525
It's all in the bible you refuse to consider.
>>
>>935534
defining Jesus as the truth doesn't make him being the Son of God true
>>
>>935526
You can't prove that your God is real. It's just a simulacrum and therefore might as well just be a concept
>>
>>935540
It does when He says He is the Son of God, and He is the Truth.

Demons know who He is:
Mark 5:7 And he cried out with a loud voice and said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”

Men know who He is:
John 6:69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

His executioner knew who He was:
Mark 15:39 So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, “Truly this Man was the Son of God!”

And of course Jesus knows Who He is:
John 10:36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Being the Son of God makes Jesus the Son of God.
>>
>>935553
Of course I can. The universe is real. The God Who made the universe is real.

Just remember, when you have soul crushing and overwhelming proof that you stand before the Lord of Hosts, having blasphemed His name, that you were given this chance to repent, and be saved.
>>
>>935536
i've read Job and there is nothing profound about answering why good people suffer with le "mysterious ways". in the book of Job God never actually explains to Job why he had to suffer and just acts like a bully. "what are you going to do about it? I'm stronger than you." of course if God had told Job that he suffered and his family died because of a fucking bet than Job would have ceased to worship the monster
>>
>>935568
how do you go from the universe is real to your specific idea of God is real? assuming that the universe requires creation by a god doesn't get you to creation by a Trinity of God the Father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit
>>
>>935574
How can you read such a beautiful book with your eyes closed?

The lesson of Job is that even with a valid petition to offer before God for His adjuication, that we have no place to stand before Him at all. In fact, we literally cannot stand before Him at all.

Job was maybe the best person who ever lived, sans John the Baptist, and when the time came, and God appeared in the whirlwind, Job ate dust and likened Himself to a worm before the living God.

There was no bet. You do not make bets with the Almighty, Who sees the end from the beginning. There was no chance outcome.

As Job did not have any ground to stand on before a holy God, neither do you.
>>
>>935584
Real God makes real universe.
>>
>>935601
read again. God made Job suffer just to prove a point to Satan. there is no reason that he had to prove that to Satan. you are essentially saying that Satan is more worthy to get answers from God than us human beings
>>
>>935626
That you think God needed to make a point to satan is absurd. He is God.

The lesson of Job is that He is God.

The thing you did not understand from reading Job is that He is God.

He is God.

Maybe let that sink into your thick head for a moment.
>>
>>935608
then prove this specific god is the real god
>>
>>935632
how can you deny the beginning of the book of job exists?
>>
>>935641
I don't. It's not a bet. Satan lies, and gets proven wrong many times.
>>
>>935634
Jesus rose from the dead.
>>
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 640x1136
>>929602
Except it isn't. That has been the belief of all the orthodox Christians since day one.
>>
>>935660
God gave Satan permission to do harm to Job. why would he do so if he wasn't trying to prove a point to him?
>>
>>935663

That's supporting one claim with another
>>
Did the Early Christians deny that the Eucharist is literally the body and blood of Christ?
>>
>>935668
Yes, the gnostic proto-catholics held views that Christians find deplorable.

"Do this in remembrance of me" is not "Eat Me".
>>
>>935692
early christians had extremely diverse sets of beliefs. I think it can be said that at least some eary christians believed so can be said but I doubt that those who didn't believe Jesus was made of real flesh and blood for example would agree with the idea of eating his flesh and blood
>>
>>935674
Look at how many things we know about life from just what you said.

There is a God.
There is a devil.
God provides a hedge of protection for his own.
The devil wants nothing more than to hurt, kill and destroy people.
God is sovereign; the devil is not.

Stop thinking you understand Job. You don't. You think the beginning of Job was witnessed by men? Men who wrote it down and called it Job?

Job wasn't written for Job. Job lived it. Job was written for me and you. What I got out of Job is that Job is brilliant; that God indeed did provide Himself a mediator between Man and God; and that God is worthy of all worship, and receives worship even from a man who lost everything, and was in horrible incessant pain.
>>
>>935688
All truth goes together. All lies fall apart.
>>
>>935744
It was an early gnostic belief that Jesus did not come down from heaven in the flesh, and that eating the flesh and blood of Jesus as crackers and juice was just fine by them.

Like all pagans before them, the catholics will not let go of "Eat God, Be God", because they know no other way to encounter God but by eating and drinking.
>>
>>935749
and yet you ignore that in the story God allowed for Satan to harm Job. I know why: you have no way to justify it. it doesn't fit with your conception of a perfect God
>>
>>935764
don't lump catholics and gnostics together. the proto-catholic and orthodox church are the ones who persecuted gnostics out of existance and destroyed their texts
>>
>>935073
>If God exists, then miracles are possible, and transubstantiation can be a miracle.

>If God exists, then miracles are possible, and the revelations of Joseph Smith and the Golden Plates can be a miracle.

The bigger issue with the transubstantiation is that despite being a miracle open to anyone to witness it can only be accepted as being a miracle on faith alone which is contrary to all other miracles of God.
>>
>>935744
If you include the Docetists and Gnostics amongst their ranks then of course.
>>
>>935739
>muh unicorn history
>>
>>935790
they were among the varieties of christian. your idea of who is right and wrong shouldn't get in the way of categorizing beliefs
>>
>>935790
>now that purple snake oil isn't true snake oil. you want the orange snake oil
>>
>>935843
I just want to suck you dry desu
>>
>>935862
just wait until Jesus's second cumming, you'll never thirst again
>>
>>935766
God did not harm Job.

God protected Job.

God removed His protection from Job.

The devil harmed Job.

It's like you have zero reading comprehension.
>>
>>935772
They still exist, and are the source of many of the Catholic "traditions", including Platonism. In this thread. Today.
>>
>>935891
that's exactly what I said: God allowed Satan to harm Job, ie his protection was removed as you said
>>
>>935906
Why do you think one of the key messages is to above all things fear the Lord?
>>
>>935939
because he is an unpredictable asshole who will allow Satan to harm you no matter how morally good you are and no matter how faithful you are to Him and won't even dignify you with a reason why you had to suffer beyond "le mysterious ways". Praise the Lord for He is a just God as He dictates what is right and thus is never unjust
>>
>>934964
marriage
>>
>>935957
>Praise the Lord for He is a just God as He dictates what is right and thus is never unjust

Correct notions of objective good and evil are wholly reliant on God and meaningless outside of him.
>>
>>935906
Tell me, what protection did God owe Job?
>>
>>935873
I have no patience. Now ravage me hard baby
>>
>>935957
God did not say "le mysterious ways". And if you cannot intuit that God's intelligence is infinitely greater than your own, well, your "god" needs to be a lot bigger.
>>
>>935997
to say that God arbitrarily decides what is good and evil is to say that there is no objective morality. you are calling yourself a monster that refuses to kill and rape only because you are afraid of being punished
>>
>>936028
He does not. He is Good. Everything that flows from Him is good.

Everything contrary to Him is evil.
>>
>>936017
if God did not feel Job deserved protection why did he give Job protection in the first place and then remove it because Satan asked him to?
>>
>>936034
you are claiming that God decides what is good, in that way he is good by definition and is therefore arbitrary
>>
>>936028
its the opposite of arbitrary it only appears that way to the arrogant and ignorant. It is done with the perfect reasoning that can only come from divine knowledge
>>
>>936312
so then morality is arrived at through reasoning according to you. so therefore you don't need God for there to be an objective morality
>>
>>936596
>so then morality is arrived at through reasoning according to you. so therefore you don't need God for there to be an objective morality

Gods Reasoning =/= human reasoning.

The point of that post was demonstrating why Gods Law isnt arbitrary
>>
>>929246
kek
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.