[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a question I don't really know where else to put.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
This is a question I don't really know where else to put.

But I was wondering, how is it possible to get more counts of murder than people you kill? For example James Holmes killed 12 people but was charged with 24 murders. How did that happen? Also he only injured 70 people but got 140 counts of attempted.
>>
>>924787
"Each death carried two separate murder charges, one for showing premeditation and one for showing extreme indifference to life. Both of the charges carry the death penalty as a possible sentence."
>>
>>924809
why isn't that double jeopardy?
>>
>>924814
Do you even know what double jeaporady is?
>>
>>924822
being charged twice for the same crime
>>
>>924825
Its having two seperate trials for the same crime. This is two different crimes.
>>
Better getting 10 death sentences than 594 years in prison.

American justice system is a fucking joke.
>>
>>924836
The reason why they do this is so that if one sentence gets overturned as a result of new evidence they still have to server for life/get put to death because of their other sentences.
>>
>>924842

The Death penalty seems more moral and cost saving to be honest.
>>
>>924787
And this is history how?
>>
>>927420
> This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.
> law
>>
>>927432
I swear to god Humanities has to fuck off to it's own board as that """""""""""branch of knowledge""""""""""""" is a massive clusterfuck.

>inb4 History is part of humanities
History is its own. It fucking requires evidence. Humanities doesn't. Specially cunts in art and philosophy.
>>
>>924809
wow, that's pretty silly.
>>
>>927390
>cost saving
I used to be pro death penalty exactly for this reason, until I was confronted with a ton of studies about how the bureaucratic costs from trialing and enacting the death penalty are actually higher than keeping someone in jail for life.
>>
>>924809
"""""""" justice""""""
>>
>>924809
I don't the point of this.
He's already either getting the death penalty or life, why double the total?
>>
>>927445
history is most definitely a humanity don't even try to argue otherwise
>>
>>927731
>history is most definitely a humanity don't even try to argue otherwise
History is a bisexual field

It is Social Sciences in that it demands evidence, but at the same time is a Humanities because said evidence arise from various religious/philosophica/value systems.

Either way, it isn't pure fucking cancer like the rest of humanities.
>>
>>927687
I'd would be kinda cool if the judge killed the person themselves.
>>
>>927774
I am the law
>>
>>927687
Exactly why I'm anti-death penalty. I don't give a shit about the moral arguments, as far as I'm concerned there's criminals who deserve to die. But the sheer bureaucratic costs and how it's been shown to not be an effective deterrent is reason enough for why it should be banned.

The only places where the death penalty could possibly be an effective deterrent is countries like China or Singapore where they execute people quickly. But the US is never going to be like that so what's the point?
>>
>>927708
To ensure that if he wiggles out of one charge they'll get him with another. It's mostly a symbolic gesture, though.
>>
>>928900
Because whenever politicians bring up "I'mma kill more assholes" mouth-breathing troglodytes cheer, regardless of these careful considerations only you and 1/10 of the population have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKFSLsZnUo
>>
>>927774
Ours is the old way
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.