[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it immoral to indulge in luxuries (buying an ApplePhone, going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1451954568002.jpg (171 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1451954568002.jpg
171 KB, 800x800
Is it immoral to indulge in luxuries (buying an ApplePhone, going on holidays far away, and so on) instead of giving your money to people who would otherwise starve / live in abject poverty?
>>
>>923276
there is no objectively correct answer to that

morality is personal
>>
>>923276
You should take a course on ethics if you're interested in this question.

Also, there's a few good TED talks about this topic.

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong?language=en
>>
File: 46woodcu.jpg (236 KB, 1000x720) Image search: [Google]
46woodcu.jpg
236 KB, 1000x720
>>923276
Personal opinion.
1.You have to use what you have and have what you need. This meaning that if you need some expensive shit of course go and get it without second thoughts.
2. We have to make a distinction between collective actions and individual ones. You cannot take all the heat (even theoreticall) on yourself in affairs that touch thousands, millions or billions of people.
>>
>>923309

>This meaning that if you need some expensive shit of course go and get it without second thoughts.

What's the reasoning behind that? Wouldn't I be obligated, at least from an utilitarian point of view, to use my ressources to maximize human well-being? Obviously, saving a person from starvation or a blind person being able to see again because of an operation would be the adequate choice then (in theory)
>>
>>923276
yes [imo]
>>
File: evenstevens33.jpg (30 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
evenstevens33.jpg
30 KB, 576x384
>>923276

how is this /his/?
>>
>>923342
the crux is "need".
you don't need an iPhone and you don't need vacations far far away.
>>
>>923352
Yeah, of course. Which is why doing it anyway would be theoretically immoral, yes or no?
>>
>>923350
>/his/ - History & Humanities
>>
>>923383
well...if you do so much stuff that you need vacations far far away go for it. If you wanna have vacations far far away just to brag about them in your local bar, don't.
>>
>>923276
The quran says in surat al ma'un that any who prays must also give the poor their food. The emphasis lies on that the food belongs to the poor, not to the one who gives it.

From that perspective, it would be immoral to buy luxuries while others starve. The quran also sets a limit, though. You can't save the world, but you can help those around you.
>>
>>923543
I don't agree because it empowers specific groups and indiciduals like shady NPF's etc.
For example in the island of Lesvos(lived there for 4 years).
>>
>>923520
Even in the first case (doing so much stuff), going on vacation would produce less utility than devoting your ressources to a charitable cause.
>>
>>923276
>morality
>>
>>923635
True but in order for you to do anything you must be healthy and functional. If you have sustained damage (physical, emotional or psycological) or have immediate priorities then you have priority.
Remember always that we live in organized societies with very bad overall resourse organization. Some things are the individualls responsibillity but other are of the collective. There is a reason we pay fucking taxes and limit ourselves in order for the social body to exist.
Of course this doesn't apply for crisis periods and areas.
>>
>>923654
You need to be part amoral in order to accept the infinity of morals in the universe :^)
>>
>>923543
How do those sheikhs driving gold Ferraris while slaves are building soccer stadiums rationalize this?
>>
>>923721
and ultimatelly settle down your own :^^)
>>
>>923276
No OP, because giving people money doesn't help them.

If it did, the billions of dollars in foreign aid that the West has given to underdeveloped countries the last at least 50 years would've changed them, but it hasn't at all.

Giving a man a fish helps him, but it doesn't last very long.
>>
>>923728
They don't.
Nihilists are more healthy and pro life than fake believers and HUR DURR SUCH IS LIFE pieces of shit.
>>
>>923739
>50 years would've changed them, but it hasn't at all.

Not true, virtually all underdeveloped countries have improved a lot by every metric imaginable. Go on Google Data and check.

You're basically saying that it's impossible to help people who are worse off than yourself which is just a convenient excuse. Even if you can't find a credible organization (they do exist) you could most likely do something personally in the city you live in.

Note that I don't believe in morality myself so I don't flagellate myself for egoistical behavior but I'm interested in the views of people who actually care about the theories of ethics.
>>
consequentialism says yes
>>
>>923276
If you want to fuck up a poor country give them free food. It will put the farmers, the only part of their economy out of bussiness since they cannot compete with free. This will keep them perpetually undeveloped.

Humans growth only happens when people do it themself. If you treat humans like children they will never grow up. This ultimately allowing them to fail and deal with the consequences.
>>
>>923775
Yes, but please give some evidence that it is the foreign aid that has caused the improvements and not the global increase in GDP and developments by international corporations in those countries.

Because I sincerely doubt simply giving people money helps much.
>>
>>923276
Probably but Morals are subjective.
>>
File: stirner.png (18 KB, 331x394) Image search: [Google]
stirner.png
18 KB, 331x394
>morality
nice spooks nerd
>>
>>923276
Is it immoral for the poor and destitute to continue breeding and then go looking for handouts to survive?
>>
>>923635
not if you spend your days doing good.
if you do a normal job that doesn't serve a moral purpose, it's immoral of course.
>>
Do both.
>>
>>924242
How about giving to a charity that allows farmers to buy seeds from Monsanto so they don't have to kill themselves after a bad harvest?
>>
>>924269
>Yes, but please give some evidence that it is the foreign aid that has caused the improvements

I'm pretty sure health and education programmes had at least some effect. Who knows if the AIDS epidemic would have been contained if it wasn't for some international help.

But that's not the point of the discussion anyway. The question in the OP remains unless you claim that it's literally impossible to help others with your ressources and that notion just seems stupid to me.
>>
No. I earned that money so i will spend it. Hopefully my and my fellow consumers' spendings make apple expand and hire more geniuses which could employ said homeless.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.