[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Polygamy hated so mucH?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: daphne.png (293 KB, 540x430) Image search: [Google]
daphne.png
293 KB, 540x430
pic unrelated
With all the recent support of the Gay Rights movements, hearing most arguments used, it would seem they would be the exact same that polygamists would use, so why are polygamists still looked down upon, are people just sub consciously brainwashed into thinking they are backwards and demented people if they don't support Gay Rights? Why do people generally dislike Polygamy?

note, I am not a polygamist, just interested by the hypocrisy.
>>
Our very concept of romantic love is monogamy. I think most people just have an instinctual revulsion to the idea based on that. And then there's of course the conservatives, usually christian, who insist this would be some great moral evil equal to marrying beasts or children.

Personally I don't care. Although I don't think I'd go for it myself.
>>
>>922396
But I hate gay """"""""""""""""""""""rights""""""""""""""""""""""""" too
>>
>>922408
where do you get that from?
>>
>>922396
Polygamy often involves underage girls, closed off communities, cults and the forced removal of young men. I hate today this but why do beta males support polygamy? You say you don't but on 4chan it comes up often enough but the fact is most men would never be given access to these women.

Isn't it common sense that a whole bunch of young men excluded from partnerships (not just betas, most men) in high enough levels could create anarchy?
>>
>>922413
>tfw no polyandry
>>
>>922411
Go back to >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>922413

Well, Polygamy, is not such a large thing, it is quite niche, I guess anarchy could rise if it became a popular thing.

But can you really tell a guy he can't have 4 wives and if he does he is breaking the law.
>>
>>922423
Obviously you can, we do it today
>>922416
One guy is enough, having to deal with three men all wanting sex would be horrendous. Image the fighting and jealousy, totally not worth it.
>>
>>922396

Because most people have trouble getting and keeping one spouse at a time. Those with more than one are seen as showing off or taking ore than their fair share. It's just normally wrapped up in more righteous terms but that's the gist of it.
>>
>>922437
yeah but that would not make it illegal? people around me daily talk about it like it is borderline evil.

it must stem from more places.

and those same people are some themselves gay.
>>
>>922431
>One guy is enough, having to deal with three men all wanting sex would be horrendous. Image the fighting and jealousy, totally not worth it.

>tfw mistress picks you for the night
>tfw all of the other guys give you the jealous look
>tfw she ties you up and rides you for hours
>>
>>922413
>Isn't it common sense that a whole bunch of young men excluded from partnerships (not just betas, most men) in high enough levels could create anarchy?
But that is already happening
>>
>>922446
....can you faggots not bring kink into everything?

No, sex is not everything. Jealously is not hot and tying people up is stupid
>>
>>922413
Tfw polygamous lesbian

Polygamy is fine. Criminalise the problems it is associated with, not the thing itself.
>>
>>922451
No, what's happening is women aren't forced to marry worthless betas. Young men who aren't just not worthy of marriages, young men literally stripped of any chance of female partners by older men taking them all.
>>
>>922458
Good for you tumblerina, still don't care because most cases of polygamy isn't practiced by lesbians.
>>
>>922444

Lots of things are illegal that don't really harm anyone involved but piss off other people.
>>
>>922460
No. They aren't. They are practiced by religious groups with little or no oversight.

And like... Having a second long term live-in sexual partner isn't really ever illegal. So what's the problem with formally recognising the relationship? Or at least socially.

It's a very silly stigma. Also kind of a bitch because I'd like to marry a foreign friend of mine but immigration would be impossible really as my second spouse.
>>
I personally don't think olygamy has any problems. In fact many countries allow it with little problems.

BTW marriage also results in murder and\or jealousy but making it illegal would be stupid
>>
It could also diminish occurrences of cheating
>>
>>922454
This 'jealousy is healthy for relationships' meme has gone too far.
>>
>YOU CANT ALLOW GAY MARRIAGE BECAUSE THEN EVERYONE WILL WANT SOME CRAZY FORM OF MARRIAGE OR SEXUALITY TO BE LEGIT!

>lol fucking stupid paranoid christian

>gay marriage gets legalized

>"s-so what about polygamy guys? what if pedophiles are just victims?"
>>
>>922396
The breakdown of the traditional nuclear family has had massive repercussions in western society.

Polygamy was so incompatible with our values even the Mormons outlawed it.
>>
I don't have any problems with polygamy, or polyandry, or any other form of marital institutions, because I believe that the government shouldn't be involved in it one way or the other.

What people do between themselves, and in relationships with one another isn't any of my business, unless people are being harmed in some way.

However, on a personal note, I prefer monogamous relationships, and I would never be with someone who wanted "open relationships" or polygamous relationships.
>>
File: x240-ymu.jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
x240-ymu.jpg
17 KB, 320x240
>>922396
Polygamy is near future of Europoors!
>>
>>922396

1) "Polygamy", which nowadays can be used in a gender-neutral sense, nevertheless in practice typically really means polygyny, being one dude, multiple chicks. Polyandry is historically rare in human society. Most men are straight, and most straight men have absolutely no interest in sharing a woman with another man. Woman, by contrast, are frequently happy to make nice among themselves, and share a sufficiently rich/high status/etc man in order to access his resources, sperm, etc. Of course, today's aberrant and information-rich society may make instances of the above outliers (polyandry) seem more common than they really are. In general, men hate hate hate sharing women. The "cuckold" meme, recently repeated here to the point of banality and near meaninglessness, nevertheless actually applies as a legitimate means of understanding the above on an psycho-socio-sexual level.

2) The above having been said, human culture is as scattershot as nature, and does "try" different things, if unconsciously. Just because polyandry is rare does not mean that it is nonexistant. Similarly, a more acceptably mainstream idea caught on: formalized monogamy, viz. Christianity, and whereever else it has been culturally sanctioned and supported. In the Christian (western) case, it is raised to an ideal, and the mores/taboos/social pros and cons therefore attached.

3) This had the happy effect of giving lower-status men pussy, i.e. reason to live, i.e. impetus to keep building civilization. Hence the cotton gin, the suspension bridge, the atom bomb, the iphone, the artificial heart, etc. The technological accoutrement of today. That this is a popular narrative of things today, does /not/ make it fundamentally inaccurate, as a very serious historian is likely to try his hand at pointing out.

(cont.)
>>
>>923610

4) Polygamy is therefore still hated because it has anti-Christian cultural baggage, which surprisingly is a cultural residue still meaningful in western life. Also "formal" polygamy is associated with Islam and Mormonism in the USA, the former being hated, and the latter simply a cult. At this point, what other anons have said about closed societies/cultlike behavior/men who eventually access lolis also applies. Polygamy being conflated with these other hated/distrusted elements makes it easier to hate polygamy as-such. As for serial monogamy, hookups, quietly executed 3-ways, "kept women" (a real practice), etc... If Chad and his uglier, slightly beta but still socially participating friends get everything worth having (7+), there's literally no reason for Mortimer to participate in or contribute to society, hence r9k, Eliot Rodger, Oculus Rift &c. In many cases, Mortimer would honestly rather be alone than to go through the motions, the bullshit. /Mortimer has by this point, become bitter and resentful, yet he is enough of a man that one doesn't hear of his inner life except on blogs and Balinese puppet shows./ Declining Christianity and ascendant feminism have freed western woman from Mortimer, where before she was obliged to wed him, sometimes. Stacy and Kendra are more than happy to share Chad than have any commerce with Mortimer, except as a grudging and (her own) deeply resented social act of last resort, which she can yet undo six years hence, redounding only to her own benefit.

5) On the one hand, socially enforced monogamy builds societies, but one must play Chad's advocate: it's not for nothing that women go to him. This would suggest maximizing one's own odds for evolutionary fitness. As another anon has suggested, ascendant Islam will contribute to polygamy's It might also, however, lend itself to a more nasty and brutish state of affairs, closer to the "state of nature", before it was mollified by Christian-like monogamy mores.
>>
>>923313
>because I believe that the government shouldn't be involved in it one way or the other.

But that's daft. When people marry there's (usually/supposably) financial and legal repercussions which must be navigated and done so so as not to abuse the other partner - the government must be involved to set and enforce regulations same as the government does so with business etc.

It's not a matter of poking their heads into business that is not theirs to know or be involved with but seeing as 'marriage' carries social repercussions both for both individuals, decisions which with affect both in terms of finances, social services, children (if they so have them), inheritance and so forth it's simply pragmatic and sensible that the government is involved because it must be.
>>
I like poly when it's not religious and not cult shit.
>>
>>922396
Because it's the main means we have from keeping ourselves from devolving back to 17 women to 1 man.

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/17-to-1-reproductive-success
>>
It tends to be bad when you have a shitload of young men who have no way to solve sexual urges.
>>
File: Brazilian Polygamy.jpg (33 KB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
Brazilian Polygamy.jpg
33 KB, 560x350
>>922396

>A notary has “married” a trio of women in Río de Janeiro, the second such union to be recognized before the law in Brazil
>>
>>922396

>Not a gender identity
>Not a sexual orientation
>Is a lifestyle

Clearly not LGBT/GSM/SAGA

>It should still be legal, but it IS a choice and a lifestyle
>>
>>923692
this, polygamy is outdated
polyamory is where it's at
>>
>>922396
Because of degenerate ideas that marriage is about "love" rather than a reproduction/financial strategy.

Polygamy is a sound strategy for alpha males and females to maximize their influence. It also allows more omega or beta alligned men and women to have a shot at passing their genes on by being part of a harem.

BTW the idea of marriage=love is why gay marriage is "equal". We gave up on actually using marriage to reproduce long ago.
>>
>>923711

let me guide u
>>>/s/
>>>/hc/
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.