[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marijuanna in history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: 1459322546592.jpg (160 KB, 720x520) Image search: [Google]
1459322546592.jpg
160 KB, 720x520
How did people figure out that smoking it got you high?
>>
>>921823
Probably eating it or seeing animals eat it.
>>
>>921823
They at least knew ingesting it got you high, with stuff like bhang.
>>
>>921823
Does anyone know of any cultures that used it or was it always taboo?
>>
Its the same way that we figured out everything, we ate it and probably got high, and it was probably used in a lot of herbal remedies with shaman doctors, and they eventually learned that smoking the bud would produce a better result probably because an idiot decided to light it on fire one day.

Think about beer for a second, how was that invented. It was probably some hoops in a barrel that mixed with water and fermented, and the ancient equivalent of the kid in high school who would eat his own shit for 15$ dollars was probably like LETS DRINK IT
>>
>>921845
It originally was heavily used by asians, but its probably been used as a general herbal remedies for years before then
>>
ancient aliens
>>
>>921845
....are there people on /his/ this stupid or is this bait?
>>
>>921845
There's a fuck ton of cultures that used it. Several cultures in India such as Sikhs smoked/ate/drank Cannabis as part of their religion. The "Assassins" from Islamic history during the Crusades were famous for it. Scythian tombs are found full of dank ass weed.
>>
>>921845
basically every culture pre-20th century America did not treat it as a taboo
>>
>>921856
I think George Washington's main crop he grew was hemp. It wasn't until the 20th century when it was super demonized by the public
>>
>>921856
Sorry for ignorance its just that i dont hear about it in history
>>
>>921853
>Find an ancient ice tomb
>Filled with perfectly preserved dank ass squiria
>>
File: PazyrikHorseman.jpg (149 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
PazyrikHorseman.jpg
149 KB, 480x640
>>921870
>In a corner of one grave chamber of the Pazyryk cemetery was a fur bag containing cannabis seed, a censer filled with stones, and the hexapod frame of an inhalation tent - these are believed to have been utilized at the end of the funerary ritual for purification.

Not to mention this strangely Victorian mustache on a rug
>>
>>921861
Yeah, but hemp was used a variety of other purposes, like rope or paper

Probably smoking it was looked down upon, like how a lot of people disliked tobacco
>>
>>921823
Better question. How did they find out licking toads got you high? How many things were they licking before that?
>>
File: 1455130014093.gif (1 MB, 255x130) Image search: [Google]
1455130014093.gif
1 MB, 255x130
The reason weed was banned in the first place was an American papermaker was losing money to paper made by Hemp. Now, Hemp and Weed may be two very different plants, but they both look nearly the same.
So he just banned both.

That's why marijuana is illegal in the US. Before that it was used widely. Of course, it wasn't nearly as potent, or large, as it is now. It was a mild relaxant that cured pains and aches when smoked or ingested. Nowadays weed has been cultivated for as much THC as possible, and is EXTREMELY potent compared to the original, fairly mild plant.

>tl;dr corporatism banned weed
>>
>>922206
Thanks Brian Griffin
>>
“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

>Harry J. Anslinger, guy who got marijuana banned
>>
>>921848
I hate this meme.
>People were fucking retarded, they just tried shit by trial-and-error, with their lives on the line!

This is some condescending shit right here, even if they used trial-and-error, they did so in a sensibly investigative manner.
Most civilisations already cooked meat, we usually cannot eat raw meat, therefore people knew that cooking stuff could change its properties.
Then they just didn't go and eat it, but they had ways to test if a thing is poisonous or not, like rubbing it on your skin, eating very small amounts under controlled circumstances, feeding it to animals, and so on Most cultures have some sort of "ritual" (which isn't necessarily some "Pre-enlightenment thinking!") which explained how to purify food, how to gain muscles etc.
Eating strong animals would make you strong. Eating fat animals would make you fat. Salty things would be okay to eat etc.

I don't doubt there are funny retarded instances on how people discovered food, but I doubt it was the general rule.
>>
>>922206
>The reason weed was banned in the first place was an American papermaker was losing money to paper made by Hemp.
[citation needed]
>>
>>921823 how did people work out burying a shark for 6 months made it tasty?

How did people work out if you fucked around with milk enough you get cheese?
>>
>>922308
Man, what did entertainers ever do to white Protties?
>>
>>922308
Thank God we now only use drugs for white people like cocaine and prescription opiates.
>>
>>922577
>how did people work out burying a shark for 6 months made it tasty?

>hey the earth down here is cool
>food lasts longer in winter
>how bout we bury shit for later
>6 months later
>man this shark is tasty
>>
>>922586
Don't forget meth. Lots and lots of meth.
>>
>>922577
How did people figure out that if you took a stick covered in parasitic insects, pulverized them and processed them just right you could produce lacquer to spread on your woodcrafts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerria_lacca
>>
>>922587
>We have open fires burning constantly
>Lets burn this plant that's nearby
>Inside your 'tent'
>420 discovered
>>
>>922497
You actually didn't know that? Google it bro.

Never heard of reefer madness?
>>
>>922609
Daily reminder that weed should remain illegal, anyone who uses it should be executed, and DUDE WEED LMAO fags are the biggest cancer on the planet
Not even memeing
>>
Saw an online lecture where dark age norse wisewomen were found with cannabis in their stomachs
Unrelated but they also had Iron Staffs for magick, which was pretty cool
>>
>>922610
>>>/r/redpill
>>
>>922616
>>>/r/crybaby
>>
>>922308
>“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”
A broken clock is right twice a day.
>>
File: 1340694668091.jpg (28 KB, 202x184) Image search: [Google]
1340694668091.jpg
28 KB, 202x184
>>922675
>pacifism
>bad

>communism
>bad
>>
>>922030
by accident I'd figure. I think it's more common to actually smoke the stuff to release the dmt so it might have been discovered when they tried to roast one of those toads
>>
Shamans and otherwise people in charge of herbs spent a lot of time experimenting with them.
>>
>>922711
is it not past your bed time?
>>
>>923219
Are you saying striving for a pacifist, communist utopia is not a positive thing?

Also, it's like 5 PM dude.
>>
>>923222
Chekt, Striving for something unachievable is a bad idea.
>it's like 5 PM dude.
My point exactly.
>>
>>921886
headhunting horse niggers who literally smoked weed everyday, truly the übermenschen of their time
>>
>>923231
Why would it be unachievable?
>>
>>923235
No offence budy but I've been through why a communist utopia is unachievable many times and I'm not willing to do it again. Needles to say, if you don't think an ideology entirely founded on idealism will not be hijacked by nefarious people then you're a bit dumb.
>>
>>923244
People are nefarious because capitalism brought them up that way

Besides, the system has worked, and is currently working in several places in the world.
>>
>>923250
>People are nefarious because capitalism brought them up that way
Yeah because before Adam Smith came about everything was fine and the world was peaceful
>Besides, the system has worked, and is currently working in several places in the world.
citation needed
>>
>>923256
>Yeah because before Adam Smith came about everything was fine and the world was peaceful
Feudalism was just a primitive form of capitalism

>citation needed
Revolutionary Catalonia, Rojava, and the Zapatistas, to some extent

Makhnovia too I suppose
>>
>>921823
Moroccans have been making hash at least 800 years. So is the case with Indian Charas etc.

Stupidest shit I've been hearing on the internet is that "Weed back in the day was not strong as today"

Which may be true when you are talking of the green buds. Moroccan zero zero hashish has THC perentage somewhere around 80-90% and Charas is pretty high too.

I would be confident to say that people in ancient world smoked more potent form of cannabis (hashish) than most people who smoke green buds today.
>>
File: 1412081909748.png (89 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1412081909748.png
89 KB, 250x250
>>923259
>a system in which feudal lords controlled the markets is the same as a free market system

>Rojava
>protects private property
>has a private sector
>seeks investment from the capitalist world because of how poor its own economy is
>Zapatistas
Political groups don't count as countries senpai
>Catalonia
Fell
>Makhnovia
Fell
>>
>>923277
>capitalism
>free market
Pick one

>Political groups don't count as countries senpai
They control a territory that could be considered a country

>protects private property
As long as it serves for the benefit of the community
>has a private sector
Basically nonexistent, and focused on collectivization
>seeks investment from the capitalist world because of how poor its own economy is
You wouldn't take free money, in a world like ours?

>Fell
Due to outside factors.
>>
>>923292
Serious question, do you actually having a learning disability? The ideology of Capitalism is literally about having a market free from intervention.

By your own defence of the use of private property, a private sector and investment you have essentially described a capitalist country. Your own ideas of a communist utopia seem to be describing a capitalist country.

>he thinks poor economic management from a communist system doesn't cause a country to fall.
See the opening sentence of this post.
>>
>>923302
You're way too dumb to have a conversation with, I'm done here
>>
File: 1451801204287.jpg (27 KB, 286x436) Image search: [Google]
1451801204287.jpg
27 KB, 286x436
>>923304
>gets proved wrong
>ur 2 stupd 2 talk 2
>>
File: 1352545076602.png (34 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
1352545076602.png
34 KB, 199x200
>>923310
madkid lol
>>
>>922324
You got it. People think that our ancestors tens of thousands of years back were mouthbreathing imbeciles when they were really just like us, except they were held back because all of the knowledge they held was what they experienced or what they learned from their elders.
>>
>>923260
My family has been making it in lebanon for generations. I know about hashish, our weed is too shitty to smoke normally.
>>
>>922299
lollolol
>>
>>922299
Underrated toast
>>
File: yo_dawg1.png (309 KB, 827x550) Image search: [Google]
yo_dawg1.png
309 KB, 827x550
weed is tight
weed is tight
>>
>>923259
How was feudalism just a primitive form of capitalism?
>>
>>923486
I mean to be honest, it was just like today, where people were both mouth breathers and brilliant.

I mean, think of how Beer was most likely invented

you probably have a poit filled with hopps, and that pot got filled with water due to rain, and fermented after some time creating an archaic beer that most likely smelled and tasted like ass. No one in their right mind would drink enough of at least a drinks worth to be able to get the feeling of the alchohol, so you had to have some guy not only who was williung to drink it, but willing to drink more then a handful of it to realize you could get drunk

But then think about all the people that turned that archaic beer into the many different types of edible beverages today through incredibly complex brewing methods

Marijuana was most likely a shamnastic thing though, probably used in teas, and probably used as burning herd to calm people and relieve pain. I think it was only natural for people to eventually realize you could smoke it
>>
Weed then a pipe sesh while reading a book
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.