[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Romance Of The Three Kingdoms 13 will be coming out in english
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: ROTK13.jpg (149 KB, 577x720) Image search: [Google]
ROTK13.jpg
149 KB, 577x720
Romance Of The Three Kingdoms 13 will be coming out in english on July 5th. Will /his/ be picking up? Seems like a good way to get into Chinese /his/tory.
>>
>>919946
Yeah but dynasty warriors is way more fun!
>>
>>919969

It's not as histroically accurate though.
>>
>>919991
ROTK is novel based too. No KOEI game is historically accurate, they'd bomb the asian market if they didn't pander to shuboos.
>>
I miss when Samurai Warriors was still slightly sane.
>>
>>920065
When was that? The first one for PS2 was already typical east asian genocide material, with peons getting mowed down like wheat by a farmer.
>>
>>920065

Get Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere Of Influence, it's sane samurai warriors.
>>
>>920083
East Asian genocide is inherent to Koei's self loathing.

The actual narrative and designs though weren't Sengoku Basara tier.
>>
File: Wei-Jin Period General's Armor.jpg (2 MB, 7200x2520) Image search: [Google]
Wei-Jin Period General's Armor.jpg
2 MB, 7200x2520
>>919991
No Three Kingdoms game will ever be accurate until we have a strategy game/action game featuring everyone in this kind of period lamellar with not a single Song Dynasty Armor suit in sight and with battles beginning with titanic crossbow spamming of both sides followed by a disciplined advance of spear wielding infantry with ZERO COMMANDERS ENGAGING NIGS IN DUELS
>>
It's a great introduction into probably one of the most important works ever created in Asia, if you guys are interested in this time period, please consider reading the books. It's a great ride, a little long, but one of the most well crafted epics to ever grace our shelves. i would Suggest the Moss Roberts translations as they were by far the easiest to read and understand, although the names generally differ from the "original translated" names. Zhao Yun is generally referred to as Zhao Zilong, Cao Cao is referred to a lot by Cao Mengde, ETC, but if you played the games, you should know the events well enough to place the characters in well enough.

Also, this game is apparently pretty watered down, I'd go play 8, 10, or 11

Ive been trying to get more into Chinese history recently, and this was a great stepping stone for myself.

Also, if you hate reading, the Jianghu Three Kingdoms Chinese show, while deviating from the book, is still a wonderful show that shows a lot of what is so awesome about ROTK, the incredible military scheming, the constant backstabbing, and the characters are all put on display.
>>
>>919946

>not linking the trailer

https://www.vg247.com/2016/04/01/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-13-coming-to-pc-ps4-in-july/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slDEboPlmhE
>>
File: RTK13_Screenshot06.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
RTK13_Screenshot06.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>920118

How's the story mode in ROTK13? Does it cover the events decently?
>>
>>920094
>ZERO COMMANDERS ENGAGING NIGS IN DUELS
But we actually have period evidences of duels happening before battles. Yan Xing was mentioned in the San Guo Zhi for having rekt Ma Chao for example.
Of course it was not something that happened as often as DW makes it seems, but still.
>>
>>920118
>Zhao Yun is generally referred to as Zhao Zilong, Cao Cao is referred to a lot by Cao Mengde
These aren't differently translated, they're just the courtesy names. You're gonna find those in every single work outside of videogames.
>>
>>920146

Sorry, I didnt get any sleep last night, so "translated" was the wrong word. He uses different naming conventions for many of the characters based off of whatever specific piece he was translating off of. Guan Yu is known as Lord Guan for instance. There's a whole shit ton of info with regards to chinese naming conventions, so it's hard to comprehend, especially when you're from a culture that doesn't have the historical attachment like the chinese do to those characters, so it can get really confusing. DW and ROTK though are really good ways to learn specific events and character tropes that are present. Zhang Fei is still a drunken guy who beats the shit out of people, Lu Bu is still a super fierce warrior whose brash and wreckless etc etc.
>>
>>920244
>DW and ROTK though are really good ways to learn specific events and character tropes that are present.
Novel events and characters sure, but not history. For example Zhang Fei being a drunk is pure fantasy. No mention whatsoever of it in period sources.
>>
>>919946
I've never played any of these games. What are they like? How do they compare to games like Civ, AoE, Paradox games, or Total War?
>>
File: Long_Corridor-Zhangfei.jpg (485 KB, 1920x865) Image search: [Google]
Long_Corridor-Zhangfei.jpg
485 KB, 1920x865
>>920279
>>
>>920279
I mean, are we not talking about ROTK, the book, everyone fucking knows the book is 30% history and 70% fiction, hence why it's called a "romance."

But the book itself is generally way more important culturally to China then the actual historical events. It's Guan Yu is a cherished god of war in China, when historically, he didnt really do that much to warrant it. It's why Zhuge Liang is seen as a super genius badass when in actuality, he was just a really good politician who also wrote the entire history of his kingdoms and was generally a mediocre strategist.

Most people who care about this time period are more interested in the book, and the cultural impact it had on China and the rest of Asia.
>>
>>920301

So, there's 3 huge ROTK related games

The Kessen games are turn based strategy games, similar to what you'd find in something like fire emblem, or final fantasy tactics advance.

Dynasty Warriors is a hack and slash games that allows you to murder just thousands of chinamen soldiers in incredibly flashy ways, although it's super "anime and over the top and really silly in it's portrayal

The three Kingdoms game differ from game to game in terms of gameplay, but the general idea is that you control a character (generally only one of the leaders, although some of them allowed you to play as n officer, a strategist, a free officer etc..) where you build up your army and supplies and try to take over your enemies. The more recent games have very "civ" like battle where you move each unit on a giant grid, although the combat is a lot better done then civ, just obviously the base building is toned down heavily

Just imagine this, take EU series by paradox, make the battle to battle strategic gameplay a lot better, but give less importance on the general maintenance and general basebuilding that the paradox games often require.
>>
>>920319
>everyone fucking knows the book is 30% history and 70% fiction
TOP FUCKING KEK.
You mean, half the westerners who are into chinese history and 10% tops of chinks right? I mean damn, wiki pages about the characters treat romance bullshit as factual.

>god of war
God of brotherhood actually. Which is not necessarily more warranted since the peach tree garden oath is fiction too.

>>920302
That thing is like 500 years after the novel, and 1500 years after Zhang Fei's death. What's your point?
>>
>>920353

Why does Guan Yu get singled out as the "God Of Brotherhood" instead of Liu Bei or Zhang Fei?
>>
>>920352
>The Kessen games are turn based strategy games, similar to what you'd find in something like fire emblem, or final fantasy tactics advance.
I remember playing Kessen 1 a long time ago. Mostly I remember not understanding who should be leading what, some cool symphonic music, and sexy titplate musketeers.

Now that I look back on it It kind of feels more like Total War than an SRPG like Fire Emblem or FFTA though. But then again maybe the abstraction of scaling up 1 guy of Fire Emblem to 10 of Advance Wars to 10,000 of Kessen doesn't change much of anything.
>>
>>920374

This is all based off of the Novel btw, Guan Yu historically was kind of just a really good warrior

Guan Yu did a bunch of awesome things in the book. Basically he was the most loyal fucking person on earth. Zhang Fei was not a good brother in comparison to Guan Yu, and was somewhat of a selfish character (although him being brash and wreckless couldve saved China a lot of problems, he was a fantastic judge of character) Liu Bei on the other hand was thrust into the role of leadership due to his "heritage" and also wasn't always the best brotheer to everyone (In the books, he'd put his own personal moral code over helping his bros, despite the oaths they took, and would constantly put his brothers in danger

So anyway, Guan Yu is a super badass warriors in the novels, and is the most fucking loyal a person can be. Cao Cao was super infatuated with Guan Yu, and really wanted him to join his side. When the 3 brothers split up post Cao Cao's invasion, Guan Yu was tasked with brining Liu Bei's wife and family to safety, and as a man of his word, he did an excelent job. Cao Cao, realizing the type of character Guan Yu actually laid a very menacing trap for Guan Yu, where as instead of just murdering him straight up and murdering all of Liu Bei's kin which was pretty standard for the time, he showered them with gifts, which included giving Guan Yu the coveted Red Hare, which is like the most OP horse on earth. Guan Yu agreed to fight with cao Cao because he had to repay the kindness Cao Cao gave to not only him, but Liu bei's family. When Guan Yu finds out that Liu Bei is not in fact dead, he immediately defects, but leaves all of the presents he received at Cao Cao's residence, other then Red Hare, and his famous green cloak.

Cao Cao of course was furois at this ordeal and ordered Guan Yu to be executed, Guan Yu literally by himself literally took down like 4 or 5 commanders in Cao Caos army and personally gauranteed the safety of Liu Bei's family TBC
>>
>>920418
continued:

Anyway, he meets back up with Liu Bei and Zhang Fei, who are rightfully pissed off at Guan Yu working for Cao Cao, when Guan Yu reveals what transpired, and further commits his loyalty to Liu Bei and Zhang Fei. During this time, they recruit Zhuge Liang and their forces finally beat Cao Cao's forces in a battle. Zhuge Liang had a plan setup for Guan Yu to be where Cao Cao was retreating, and Cao Cao, who had barely any troops and had been retreating for quite a while met up with Guan Yu. Guan Yu of course, let him survive and go along because he had owed a personal debt to Cao Cao over the way he and Liu Bei's family retreated.

Guan Yu would later give his life holding onto territory that Shu controlled under incresiblyshady circumstances and gave his life defending a territory he knew full well didnt belong to him.

Guan Yu was a fucking moralfag in the books, but basically the biggest thing to prove his worth was that Cao Cao was willing to piss off a lot of his commanding officers when he was trying to woo Guan Yu to join his side. Cao Cao was probably the most talented man at finding talent in the Three Kingdoms era, and Guan Yu was the ultimate prize he never won. Guan Yu was pretty much the second most powerful warrior in the bookpost Lu Bu's death (Zhnag Fei has some pretty incredible feats that put him over the top) but unlike Zhang Fei and Lu Bu, Guan Yu was not only loyal to the core, but he also had a decent head on his shoulder and was capable of being a pretty decent strategist from time to time.

>>920376

You know what, I was thinking of Dynasty tactics, which is a very different game from kessen. I actually dont really remember that much from the Kessen games, I havent played them in years
>>
>>920463
>>920352
Worth pointing out that only the second Kessen game is set in the Three Kingdoms period. 1 and 2 are both Sengoku.
>>
>>920094
Blame Ming era prints of ROTK. Late Tang-Early Ming armor is projected anachronistically similar to the usage of Genpei era armaments in Japanese art.
>>
>>920118
If you want to read it you can go here.

http://www.threekingdoms.com/

IIRC it's the Brewitt-Taylor translation (which is more literary) but with the modern Pinyin names.
>>
>>920418
>Guan Yu most loyal person on earth
Obviously You mixed up Guan Yu with Xiahou Dun there.
>>
>>923481
I believe you mean Lu Bu
>>
>>923351
Thats actually a nice resource due to the little comment fields explaining certain chinese terminology that can't be translated, but I always got supremely bored reading it, and let's face it, there's something way more fun about reading giajnt volumes then reading a poorly made, poorly designed website version
>>
>>922812
And then you have Bladestorm which is like some weird hybrid of Kessen and Warriors set during the Hundred Years' War.
>>
File: sai_2016-04-02_13-40-44.png (705 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
sai_2016-04-02_13-40-44.png
705 KB, 1024x574
I've been getting into RoTK through the 2010 TV drama.

Cao Cao is the best boy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.