[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/GG/ Geneaology General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: JohnSuttonPetty.jpg (107 KB, 326x488) Image search: [Google]
JohnSuttonPetty.jpg
107 KB, 326x488
I've been trying to get a Genealogy General to start on ever since this board was created. Figured I'd try again since I haven't in a few months.

ITT Discuss:
Genealogy, Historical Records Related to Genealogy, Brick Walls, and Historical Photographs

Have a brick wall? Post it!

Have some cool family stories or photos? Share them!

Want to get started in Genealogy?

Ask your parents/grandparents the basic questions, even if you think they don't know ask anyway, you might be surprised or be lead to someone who can help you. Most of the juicy stuff you find from talking to people not records!

Get the vitals of your parents/grandparents. Birth Places and Dates along with death places/dates. If you can go past grandparents that's even better!

You can use ancestry.com or familysearch.org from there

Pic Related: My great great great great grandfather, John Sutton Petty.
>>
>>918810
bump for interest
>>
Ive always been interested in my families genealogy, only thing i really know is that my ancestors were kicked out of germany basically for not supporting WW1 and moved to 'Merica. My other side of my family I have no clue about
>>
File: 20160402_111133.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160402_111133.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Here are a few pictures from a book written by a family member of mine.
Starting with the oldest entry first. Sorry for the image size
>>
File: 20160402_111020.jpg (537 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
20160402_111020.jpg
537 KB, 1224x1632
big jump in history because it would take too long to do the rest

This is the first photograph of someone from this side of my family.
Born 1810
>>
File: 20160402_111014.jpg (513 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
20160402_111014.jpg
513 KB, 1224x1632
>>923273
and his wife
Born c. 1810
>>
File: 65H0V5d9.jpg (52 KB, 403x604) Image search: [Google]
65H0V5d9.jpg
52 KB, 403x604
>>918810

I got blood of KANGZ.
>>
File: muh heritage.png (149 KB, 933x946) Image search: [Google]
muh heritage.png
149 KB, 933x946
>>918810
Not a brick wall but a problem with software. Does anyone use GRAMPS? I've been using it to my draw graphs of my whole family tree (see pic; that's a bit over 3000 entries) but it has been giving me problems lately. I have a bit over 5000 entries in my family tree at this moment but the program does not want to cooperate so I can't see the changes to the family tree.

>My great great great great grandfather
Woah wait, that's a photograph? When was it taken? The oldest photograph I have is of my great-great-grandfather and it was made in the middle of the 18th century.
>>
>>923455
I use GRAMPS occasionally but I think for graphing purposes familysearch apps are better.

It was taken probably 1860s, his dates are 1819-1888 (going off memory so might be off a bit).

The oldest generation wise images I know to exist are my great great great great great grandparents who have silhouettes taken in the 1830s. Unfortunately they are at the bottom of a museum that won't let me scan a copy.
>>
File: J.Z..png (2 MB, 800x1274) Image search: [Google]
J.Z..png
2 MB, 800x1274
>>924927
That's approximately when my great-great-grandfather lived, too; I don't have any dates on him, only two photographs (the original is about 10cm × 6 cm in size and the portrait was the resize of that photo)

Familysearch? I believe I used that to find information on a few of my far-back relatives (some back home and some in the US), but I didn't know anything about graphs on that website. I mainly want a graph because I'd like to have the whole family tree in front of me since it gives me a better big picture. My main tool right now is Family Echo which is pretty bare-bones but it does a great job showing you quite big portions of the tree.

>pic related: My great-great-grandfather. My family is quite lucky to own his photograph and portrait since his family's house was being renovated and my mother took the pieces since the owners at the time didn't even know who the man in the portrait was. Sad... Also, I had to resize it a bit since my scans are too HD for 4chan.
>>
>>924927
By the way, could you link me to the graphs you were talking to? I made an account on FamilySearch but the one view of the family tree that you see when starting out doesn't really look like it could show the whole family tree. I prefer GRAMPS where the whole tree shows up in one PDF.
>>
>>918810
I come from a long line perfidious anglos. Would anybody like to hear the story?
>>
I've never cared about my family history, a king or a peasants blood won't change me
>>
>>926826
You did mention it, after all.
>>
Recently found my father, who thought he was Hawaiian, is actually African, Native American, and Swedish.
Found out my great(however many times) grandfather was a Knight, and one of his descendants was a Huguenot who got exiled basically for being an obnoxiously rich asshole.
>>
>>926839
I hate fun too, wanna go jack off and listen to Cannibal Corpse?
>>
>>926839
T. Descendant of a long line of Plebs
>>
>>926839
It has already changed you, anon. You exist in the way you do (not counting sitting on 4chan all day, of course; more like your existence with the exact genes) because of your ancestors. And it is your ancestors' struggles that brought you to this world.

It fascinates me how I am alive today, when my ancestors lived through wars, famine, invasions, epidemics etc. My great-grandfather died in the First World War, and had he not gone back home a few months before his death, my grandfather would not be born and I wouldn't exist. And then my grandfather fought in the Second World War, putting his life on the line. Who knows how many times our ancestors' lives were on the line but they ultimately prevailed, only to keep the genes flowing.
>>
>>926864
Well...

I can trace my ancestry back to Adolphine Both, who was the daughter of Hermann Christoph Both, the fencing master at the court of Hanover. After his wife had died, he decided to retire to Lausanne and look after his innumerable daughters, with a pension of 150 pounds a year from the British government. Supposedly due to the youngest daughter, Palmyra, who decided to elope with a British officer, two of her siblings committed suicide by drowning themselves in a lake. Apparently this was too much for Hermann, who died a year later in Florence, after trying to heal himself. The pension from the government was reduced to 30 pounds on his death. It was for this reason that the remaining sisters had to travel to England in 1828, in the hopes of convincing the government to reinstate their original sum.
>>
>>926978
By the time they arrived in England, they had already had to mortgage their remaining pension, and therefore were penniless on arrival. Sadly, the king refused to see them, but did give 50 pounds to the Hanoverian minister in London, so they would be able to reach Germany of Switzerland, anywhere that wasn't England. 18 pounds were used to pay off their remaining debts, 2 pounds were given to them, and the rest was theirs the moment they left the country. They stayed in London and, to make a long story short, wound up in debtors prison. They were released when a solicitor came to their aid, loss their money again, were by June 1829 were again destitute. For some reason at this time they found themselves Greenwich Inn and, refused lodging, asked a man called William Jackson to row them back to the city. The all jumped into the water in a suicide pact before they reached London. Two survived, but Hermandine died.
>>
>>926980
A subscription was raised for the sisters, but by January 1830 they were once again destitute (I know, I know...). They tried to die from overdosing on Laudanum together and, while Charlotte pulled it off successfully, Adolphine was had her stomach pumped in time. And now, enter the ridiculously named Sutherland Hall Sutherland, a wealthy army officer, and childhood friend of the sisters, who had heard of their various misadventures in the news. Sutherland Hall Sutherland had been the “adopted” (read Bastard) son of James Sutherland, from whom he had inherited a large amount of money, which had been made in India. He proposed to Adolphine on the 18th of March 1830, and they were married very soon after. Adolphine would died at forty-five years of age in 1846. Five years after that, Sutherland would marry a woman named Rebecca Steel, who had been using the Sutherland surname during the last five years of Adophine’s life, and thereafter. Sutherland prospered and had an easy time of it until his death.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.