[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Almost 50,000 British soldiers died trying to subjugate Ireland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: map-ireland_fs.jpg (168 KB, 864x665) Image search: [Google]
map-ireland_fs.jpg
168 KB, 864x665
Estimate from all known conflicts involving Britain and Ireland historically.
>50.000 British men dead and for what? what a waste.
>>
File: 6ec.jpg (91 KB, 767x575) Image search: [Google]
6ec.jpg
91 KB, 767x575
>>
Cromwell absolutely fucked Ireland for the rest of history. I think job well done.
>>
Your own fault, you invaded a country filled with angry violent Celts, what did you expect would happen?
>>
That seems kind of like a low number to me, actually. The British lost like 1000 men in every dinky little battle in the Nine Years War.
>>
>>916642
this.
>Not following the Roman's example and saying fuck the rest of this place.
>>
>haha I may have no army and no land right now but these English lords and their forces will surely become my servants and help me claim the High Kingship
>what could possibly go wrong
>>
>>916648
The actual death tole from all British-Irish conflicts is probably way Higher, we only know the estimated casualties from half the conflicts, actual number of British dead would be well over 100,000 I would think.
>>
>>916636
This. 40-50% of Ireland died under Cromwell and today all of their culture comes from England anyway.

Britain wins.
>>
File: ayy-min.jpg (31 KB, 478x522) Image search: [Google]
ayy-min.jpg
31 KB, 478x522
>>916666
>>
>>916679
Lol no it doesn't. We speak English in our majority that is about it, our culture is still very much Gaelic thanks to the Gaelic revival.
>>
File: tumblr_n3zcsjjUVI1rb1rgoo3_1280.jpg (170 KB, 500x911) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3zcsjjUVI1rb1rgoo3_1280.jpg
170 KB, 500x911
Bóruma
ó
r
u
m
a
>>
File: Father Ted.jpg (29 KB, 468x309) Image search: [Google]
Father Ted.jpg
29 KB, 468x309
>>916679
>today all of their culture comes from England anyway

The best bits come from Ireland though
>>
>>916700
I shouldn't say that all of your culture comes from Britain. Of course it doesn't. There's a clear difference between your two countries. However the British influence is as obvious as ever. You've got major cultural ties to Britain just as much as her colonies do.
>>
>>916718
rip
>>
>>916679
>try to colonize whole island
>only have Northern Ireland today
Yep, you sure accomplished your goals there Chatwin
>>
>>916628
Completely destroying their unique culture and language was one.

>>916666
Not really pushing the claims of pauper claimants only for them to betray you successfully is not exactly an unheard of thing in history either. This has been happening since Roman times
>>
>>916679
>all of their culture comes from England anyway.
We don't even speak the same type of English as England. Even our way of speaking English took on Irish syntax. For example, saying "I always drink tea" in "Irish-English" is "I do always be having tea" which is the literal translation from Irish (Gaeilge) into English.
>>
>>916781
>unique culture and language
Not really, Scottish and Manx are pretty similar tbf.
>>
File: 1459453309992.png (99 KB, 500x517) Image search: [Google]
1459453309992.png
99 KB, 500x517
>>916628
Fiery redheads, you can't tame em.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.