[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best General Ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: John Churchill.jpg (54 KB, 800x970) Image search: [Google]
John Churchill.jpg
54 KB, 800x970
John Churchill, the Duke of Marlborough
Born to an impoverished family, died one of the most richest, most powerful men in England
Never defeated in battle
Worked his way through the ranks of the British Army from Ensign to Captain General
Ancestor of the glorious lard ball we call Winston Churchill
>>
I see the fat Churchill inherited his puffy eyes from this guy.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (7 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7 KB, 202x250
>>
File: Napoleon.jpg (399 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon.jpg
399 KB, 1600x1200
>>911513
>disdain for noobs.jpg
>>
>>911607
Mah boiiiii Prince Eugene! They were BFFs and stuff. They won Blenheim, Oudenarde and Malplaquet together, but Marlborough leaves for a single campaign and Eugene gets roasted at Denain
>>
Born in 1650, the younger son of a minor landowner who had backed the losing Royalist side during the Civil War, Churchill was raised in a family that had neither money nor influence. Things improved with Charles II's Restoration in 1660, but Marlborough never forgot those early years of hardship.

Marlborough's rapid social and professional advancement owed much to his royal patron. By the time York succeeded his brother as King James II in 1685, Marlborough was already a peer and a lieutenant-general. Yet within three years he had betrayed the Roman Catholic monarch by defecting to William of Orange who had invaded England to restore the Protestant Ascendancy (the bloodless coup known as the 'Glorious Revolution').

Denied the supreme command until Queen Anne's accession in 1702, thanks to William III's justified suspicions of his Jacobite sympathies, the 52-year-old Marlborough soon made up for lost time by trouncing a succession of French marshals at the Battles of Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet.
As commander of British forces, deputy commander of Dutch forces and ambassador extraordinary, his responsibilities immeasurably outweighed those exercised by British commanders-in-chief in the great wars of the 20th century, for he did not simply execute strategy but helped to determine it.
>>
>>911621
At the siege of Acre in 1799 the British commander Sidney Smith challenged Napoleon to a duel. Ole Nap' replied he would never duel someone who wasn't his equal, unless Smith could fetch Marlborough from his grave
>>
File: Gillesderais1835.jpg (129 KB, 418x642) Image search: [Google]
Gillesderais1835.jpg
129 KB, 418x642
>>911513
>>
>>911625
Between the two, who do you think was the better general?
>>
>>911665
kek
>Officially, Gilles de Rais is known to have murdered 150 children, but there are some authors who report a much bigger number of about 800 children.
>>
>>911632
You read the Roberts biography too, then?
>>
>>911890
So, He basically the Michael Jackson of his time ?
>>
File: Suvorov_Alex_V.jpg (198 KB, 1122x1459) Image search: [Google]
Suvorov_Alex_V.jpg
198 KB, 1122x1459
>>911513
>marlborough

overrated as fuck m8

pic related is the real deal
>>
>>911632
AYYY REKT
>>
>>912237
this man would have been destroyed by Napoleon's armies. It's easy to lose no battle when you fight turks and savages. I could bring up a thousand conquistadores who never lost a battle. Fuck you you slimy piece of subhuman shit.
>>
File: Montrose.jpg (55 KB, 462x600) Image search: [Google]
Montrose.jpg
55 KB, 462x600
>you will never fight Covenanter traitors while being led by based Montrose
>>
>>912240
Fucking hell, that was a little uncalled for.
>>
File: Great Admiral.jpg (114 KB, 250x365) Image search: [Google]
Great Admiral.jpg
114 KB, 250x365
Admirals are general too
>>
>>912280
>Heavy use of unboardable, cannon equipped dragon ships against shit tier navy
>Good general
>>
>>912286
>>Heavy use of unboardable, cannon equipped dragon ships against shit tier navy
>>Good general

He didn't have the turtle/dragon ships at Myeongnyang.
>>
>>912280

Have you seen this film? I'm not sure about historical accuracy because I'm not familiar with Korean history, but the movie is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBIHkKi0wM
>>
I tried reading Churchills book on Marlborough, and god dam it's a hard and boring read.
>>
>>912314
Somewhat Pro-Korean anti-jap propaganda, but it was pretty accurate
>>
>>912240
>doesn't know of his Italian campaigns
>>
>>911890
You have to be a real fuckup to get caught in the middle of a fucking medieval war
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.