[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: ehh.png (295 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
ehh.png
295 KB, 600x574
AKA babby's first philosophy. It's astounding how many people at my school (especially my philosophy class) take eastern religions seriously.

"omg, I love Zen! I'm totally going to try to make time for it in my life (but I'm so busy lol)!"
"omg, there's nothing you can criticize about Taoism!"

I can't stand it, why are eastern religions so pretentious? They're frankly illogical. Thought isn't inherently bad like they tend to proselytize , it's a piece of human consciousness - it makes us what we are. I understand their plea to live in the present and whatnot, but your past is who you are and many people like to reflect and think about the past. Your experiences are framed through your previous experiences, and I'm a firm believer it's impossible to detach yourself from that. Impossible to be completely objective as they claim.

To me, they seem frankly illogical. If life is suffering, why not kill yourself? (lol edgy!) Why waste it chasing for a enlightenment that may never come? Why waste time being a Taoist in a world that is irrefutably in-congruent with it? It's simply more snake oil to make you waste time to chase happiness, when happiness is in the eye of the beholder. Or, you could be of the camp that happiness (or contentedness) is a myth, but I'm not quite there yet.

I understand I came off like a fedora and I don't mean to, I enjoy philosophy for the most part but I can't stand eastern religions (inb4 western state of mind)
>>
>>911215
You don't like them because you don't get them. Truth hurts
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 276x183
>>911215
I agree

>muh happiness
gay
>>
>>911215
Well remember that they were developed in ancient India, which was a pretty miserable place to be alive, so the natural sentiment is to dull your mind against nonstop suffering.

But if you are a pampered modern person you probably don't suffer at all and have no use for it.
>>
>eastern religions are the same
>not realizing that Buddhism and Taoism are like literal opposites
Stay ignorant OP
>>
OP is a faggot
>>
>>911252
lol this is what autists actually believe
>>
>>911258
This fucker sounds like he hasn't even read the Analects
>>
>>911215

1. You don't understand and you generalize.

2. Hipsters and hippies that think Zen Buddhism and Taoism is so cool and "deep" don't really understand, hence your bias.

3. Us eastern people think Western thinking is absurd as well; it's ultimately down to home team mentality. Same reason why Leibniz's attention and fascination with Eastern philosophy was widely ridiculed and satirized by fellow contemporary European thinkers.
>>
>>911215
>AKA babby's first philosophy.
Really? I'm not of eastern belief myself, but I'm pretty sure most people in the west were brought up on abrahamic religions since birth. Throughout all of my philosophy courses, eastern stuff has always been that slightly interesting looking thing noone wants to actually go and read. Are there really a lot of people who start off with eastern stuff?
>>
File: panda panda panda .jpg (85 KB, 870x489) Image search: [Google]
panda panda panda .jpg
85 KB, 870x489
>>911215
Western people tend to take a normie stance on Eastern religion. Instead of truly taking the time to learn about and understand the spirituality of Eastern philosophy, Westerners simply scrape the surface and say "DUDE SPIRITUAL LMAO". Eastern philosophy is more complex than this

Eastern religions aren't pretentious. In fact, most Eastern traditions are inherently against being pretentious as it is bad for the soul (according to Eastern traditions). You are simply viewing Eastern customs from what the normies say about it. Thus, you have indirectly caused yourself to become a normie.

If life is suffering, you should conquer it. Is suicide in face of a difficult obstacle not hedonism? If you are unwilling to detach yourself from worldly desires because "muh wasted time", then you're a normie hedonist.

Ah, you also criticize Eastern philosophy for stressing objectivism yet use the objectivist argument "happiness is in the eye of the beholder". Which is it?

3/10 you're a normie
>>
>>
>>911277
>3. Us eastern people think Western thinking is absurd as well
I'd actually be interested in what parts of Western thinking jump out as absurd, particularly.
>>
File: alanwatts_01_s.jpg (165 KB, 525x366) Image search: [Google]
alanwatts_01_s.jpg
165 KB, 525x366
>>911215
what did you say bitch?
>>
>>911215
>They think thought is bad
Dude read up on it some more. You clearly haven't tried learning anything about the different schools of buddhism or taoism. I'm honestly not sure how you could come to that conclusion unless your prof is shit.
>>
>>911215
Technically, don't all of today's major religions come from the east?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.