[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a tl;dr on Hinduism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 24198_shiva.jpg (764 KB, 2052x2679) Image search: [Google]
24198_shiva.jpg
764 KB, 2052x2679
Give me a tl;dr on Hinduism
>>
>>910120
maya
>>
Daily religious devotion to a special diety. Different from other religions because there were a shit ton of god's on earth at one point in history.
>>
>>910120
There is only one Reality and we are it
>>
>>910120
these pictures were originally meant to be erotic art, because the tradtion of painting nude females, the church outlawed in the past, so artist painted erotic "fantasy women"

Which in reality were just excuses to see sweet boobs irl
>>
>>910137
Yeah, but why does the Indus river have such a massive religious tradition?
>>
No john, we ARE God
>>
>>910150
Same reason the Nile does. Or the Jordan.
>>
>>910120
belive in on god the brahman, but many dieties ei krishina, ganesha, shiva, hanuman ect,
the atman is the devine core of personalit,
the godhead, breahamn
dharma is the law that expresses and maintains the unity of creation sort of the "way" or method or nature
karma is the web of cause and effect
samsra is the cycle of brith and rebirth
moksha is the spirital liberation that is lifes goal and liberation from samsara
>>
Freedom of Religion: The Religion.
>>
anything else?
>>
whats some good literature on the subject, i alredy know of "the BHAGAVAD GITA" " the upanishads" is there anything else of equal standing on the subject?
>>
renounce and enjoy
>>
>>910285
yur mum
>>
>>910124
Beautiful
>>
>>910136
^This, plus sects out the wazoo. Depends on what you classify as "Hinduism" and just "Indic Philosophy".

>>910158
>>910150
Or Oxus *cough*.

>>910285
Fuckloads. The Puranas. Agamas. Nigamas. Other epics.

I recommend The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism. P. sure it forms the backbone of a lot of like mid level University overview courses here and there. Other than that I'd need to know interests.

>>910342
>~t. jains and caravaka, respectively
>>
>>910120
I-I don't want. To be. Banned.

Must. Resist.
>>
>>911538
___p
>>
File: 1457256834735.png (43 KB, 365x657) Image search: [Google]
1457256834735.png
43 KB, 365x657
>>910120

Nonviolence
>>
>>911054
>jains
>enjoying anything
>>
>>911054
thanks dude for the reading, and im interested in everything realated to hinduism, atm im really trying to pin down "the self", i understand the concept of it, just really trying to feel it. but abosoluty anything regarded the history of it tradition the vedas anything that is worth reading on the supject
>>
>>910124
What?
>>
>>912193
>atm im really trying to pin down "the self"
Good. That's the tl;dr of Hinduism.

A discourse on the nature of the atman, and its relationship with the brahman, and the implications thereof.

You already knew the answer to the question in OP all along.
>>
>>912178
You obviously havent been to a jain temple
>>
everything is one being, one God
especially these 30,000 gods
>>
>>910120
vedism settles down and absorbs ideas from shramanism, becomes brahminism, but new hybridized shramanist movements break off from brahminism forming jainism and buddhism, then brahmanism absorbs ideas from jainism and buddhism, thereby becoming hinduism.

theres some devotionalism thrown in there somewhere too.
>>
>>910120
Build-a-god workshop
>>
>>912178
I meant 'respectively' as in renunciation for the jains and indulgence for the atheistic caravaka.

>>912697
^This too, sorta. The stoic still gets pleasure from the renunciation of pleasure.

>>912193
>>912678
Yeah, I'd suggest finding some other texts like the Blackwell thing that give overview on Jainism, Buddhism, probably some Saivism as well as more popular modes of Hindi worship (Vaishnavu/Advaita/etc.).

All of thees grapple with self. I've an Eastern folder that's admittedly more biased toward obscure Tantra than anything that has the Blackwell texts I referred you to as well as like 200 more.

It's not exactly newb friendly though. Link's over in my occultism & magick thread.
>>
according to my hindu father hindiusm is about
1.Indians invented everything
2. KALI YUGA

>inb4 DESIGNATED
>>
>>912678
>>914167
thanks for the replys, i have put the blackwell companion to hinduism and my next to read list, and actualy i dont think i know much about tantra other than its based around ritual practisces of sorts, i could be wrong
>>
>>912592
maya is illusion, a play a drama, we go into a play knowing its not real, but we get taken in by it, if of course the actors are good, and we are good actors so convinced by our own play we forget its a play and take it all very seriously
>>
>>914392
Read Yoga of Power by Evola, as well as Man and his Becoming According to the Vedanta by Guenon
>>
>>914639
>hey don't read the source texts, read Western esoteric traditionalist interpretations of the source texts!

Guenon's not too bad, tho.
>>
>>914643
Why not? The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita are kind of required reading anyways
>>
>>914639
il check those out thanks alot, the yoga of power, looks very interesting i will most definetly give that a read, thanks
>>
It varies massively. Its very hard to pin down. Most would say adherence to the Vedas, though the Vedas are massively complex, esoteric and long and thus few master all of them, let alone incorporate them into a meaningful religion.

Beyond that there are literally 100s of other scriptures all saying different things, even the same scriptures say contradictory things (a good example would be the Manusmriti or Hindu religious law book)

Hinduism as a term, is not originally an autonym, nor are terms liek sanatan Dharma or someting. The former is an exonym and the latter is found in one hindu scripture and been adopted recently.

I guess the underlying factor of being a hindu is following some vedic traditions, and explicitly not rejectign the vedas (though hindus would consider some rejectors of the vedas to be within the hindu fold as heterodox schools).
>>
>>910120
CHIM
>>
IIRC Hinduism is supposed to be monotheistic, and their pantheon of gods are supposed to be representations or parts of one Supreme Being or consciousness or something like that

As far as being a legitimate practiced religion though, it's all bullshit. Nothing makes sense, you'll get reincarnated, glhf.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.