[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /his/, I'm drunk, so for the occasion I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: alchool.jpg (172 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
alchool.jpg
172 KB, 620x413
Alright /his/, I'm drunk, so for the occasion I've decided to start a /hisalcohol/ thread!

What are some interesting facts about alcohol throughout history? What are the amusing anecdotes of people getting drunk and influencing events that shaped the world? How have different cultures looked at the Demon Drink and how it affects society?

Lay it on us, /his/torians!
>>
>>908528
Alexander ordered Persepolis to be destroyed after going on a bender. He regretted it later.
>>
>>908528
Early 'muricans drank something like 6 glasses over the course of a day before the temperance movement.
>>
I know that when America was being settled it was very popular to plant apple trees on the plots of land where people settled. Not because they liked to eat apples but because they made apple cider. Apparently the apples were too sour and not sweet enough for eating, but for making cider they were just fine. So the first american settlers drank a ton of cider.
>>
>>908528
Alexander got smashed and killed the guy who saved his life
>>
>>908528
Russia decided not to be muslim cause they wanted to drink.
>>
>>908528
Chinese served distilled liquor piping hot.

All E. Asians did so. Sake in Japan was meant to be drank warm.
>>
In the early days of medicine, doctors did autopsies on lifetime alcoholics/drunks/winos and observed they had lower brain volumes. This led to the myth/wives tale that drinking or getting drunk kills brain cells.

Modern day medicine attributes it to be a result of constantly lowered activity of brain cells from a lifetime of suppressing activity with alcohol and the withdrawal of axons/dendrites (basically extensions from the cells retracting from lack of use) leading to the reduced volume from smaller cells, not less cells.
>>
>>908566
What's the point ? The alcohol will evaporate..
>>
>>908588
A culture that eats dogs and soaks eggs in schoolboy piss for weeks will do anything.
>>
>>908588
Not to the point of boiling m8.
>>
>>908588
Good Sake (junmai Ginju/Daiginju) for example Amabuki Junmai Daiginju is ment to be drunk cold else you loose very delicate flavors. Every sake that is heated is supposed to be heated to 38-42 °C which is body temperature and has a meaning behind it. Mostly bolder sakes that keep their flavor after being heated up like a Kirinzan Green.
My point is that at this temperature you don't loose alcohol percentage.
>>
If not for alcohol, you wouldn't be here.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 640x548) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 640x548
Tonic which was made with quinine was introduced to British colonial troops in India to stave off malaria. It tasted unpleasant so they added gin and a lime wedge to make it taste nicer.
>>
Scotch is objectively the best drink.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.