[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nanking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
why is nanking denialism so widely accepted in japan? germany owned up to their shit. why not japan?
>>
>>9084
Because no one gives a shit about the chinese.

Really my korean friend, trying to discuss this here is pointless, no one cares to attack the nips because of
>caring about chinks
But the weeaboos will certainly defend japan.
>>
>>9191
the chinese probably do
I just think japan should at least acknowledge it
>>
Why doesn't America admit to war crimes committed during the occupation?
>>
>>9445
we're either too stupid to realize they're war crimes or smart enough to pretend to be
>>
>>9084
I always felt that one of the most interesting things about Nanking was the effort the Nazi's put in to creating a safe zone for Chinese civilians, and how strongly they protested the Japanese actions. Their ambassador to China almost got his shit kicked in by Japanese forces for protecting the Chinese. The only reason the safe zone collapsed was Hitler wanting the Japanese as allies and the forming of the Axis.

As to your question: different cultures handle shame and honour differently. Traditionally, Western cultures feel ashamed for knowing what they did, even if no one else does (Christian guilt). Eastern cultures feel ashamed only if other people shame them for their actions. As such, the Japanese try to avoid shame by distancing themselves from the incident, whilst the Germans embrace their shame and seek absolution through forgiveness.
>>
>>9084
Germany was pretty much the only one to own up to their shit after the war, nobody in their respective countries talks about the British firebombing Dresden, or the Americans shoving all Japanese civilians into prison camps, or all the shit the Soviets did.
>>
>>9770
You're only wrong if you lose. If you won, you Did What Was Necessary.
>>
>>9770
This.
>>
rape of nanking best day of my life
>>
>>9084

Killing millions of people isn't that big of a deal for Japan but the rape/mutilation of thousands of women is a bit more shameful.

At least the Nazis were systematic with their killing, Nanking was a butcher job.
>>
>>9509
I hadn't considered the cultural difference, thanks for clarifying
>>9770
we talk about the jap camps in school in the us. we got it in world history, american history, and some in english. we never mentioned dresden though. odd.
>>
>>9084
The crimes weren't committed against jew-know-who so no one gives a shit.
>>
>>9084
Japan has apologised multiple times but they still have conservative MPs and media claiming they did nothing wrong. Plus China tends to respond 'sorry, not sincere enough' whenever Japan makes a formal apology.
>>
>>10027
In the UK we only really talked about the atom bombs as far as bad shit the Allies did goes, although be did talk about the bombing of that ancient monastery in Italy, though it was very geared towards blaming the Axis forces for being there and forcing the Allies to bomb it to shit.
>>
>>9770
>to own up to their shit
More like being forced to accept fantasies & wartime propaganda claims against them by the allies.
>>
Barely anyone knows about Japanese war crimes strangely.

Everyone knows about Mengele, barely anyone knows about their special Unit.

Also things like the cannibalism of American and Russian PoWs.
>>
File: 20150712_100512.jpg (1 MB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20150712_100512.jpg
1 MB, 1494x2656
The Nanjing Massacre Memorial in Nanjing is pretty intense, though I was disgusted to see how politicized it is. The Communist Party is the righteous avenger of the people and made everything better, apparently.
>>
>>11144
What is in her hands?
>>
>>9770
>Americans shoving all Japanese civilians into prison camps

We learned about this shit in history in my backwoods high school in Texas. Nobody's trying to hide or deny it.
>>
Mostly because the idea that war crimes or genocides exist is a very Western, very XXth century phenomenon.

People from other cultures can't be made to feel bad about shit that happened half a century ago.
The denialism is just a reaction to the attempt to make Nips feel bad about it.
>>
>>10738
Leftism & progressivism have needed/wanted anti-white ideology spread throughout the west
They didn't care much about spreading anti-jap ideology in japan

This sort of self-hating white guilt bullshit wouldn't really work on them either, desu
>>
>>11529
reee get out of here /pol/
>>
>>9084
It's not that they deny it, they just know it was the Commie bastards that did it and are blaming the japs.
>>
>>11214

Dead child. Japanese soldiers had a habit of impaling orphans for some reason.
>>
America still hasn't apologized for saturation-bombing Laos back to the stone age either.

Truth is everyone does horrible shit in war, and it was more geopolitically important for Japan to be an ally of the US so it was glossed over.
>>
>>11736

There's a difference between bombing someone into the stone age though and raping children/eating American prisoners/doing crazy science on pregnant women.
>>
>>11808
>hey we were just least evil!!1
>>
>>9084
Because nobody except the Chinese cared about the Chinese. The whole world cared about Europe.
>>
>>9770
> or the Americans shoving all Japanese civilians into prison camps

Not only do we discuss it, but we actually paid them reparations for it. Granted, it wasn't that much, but getting people to pay reparations at all is pretty difficult.
>>
The thing is that outside of the Atomic Bombs Japan likes to pretend the war never happened.

They don't even cry about the stuff the Allies did to them because that would mean opening up about what they did.

Therefore they just give a bit of lip service about everyone's war crimes before burying their heads in the sand because they cannot handle the guilt tripping.

>>10147
That too, after awhile there's no point in apologizing constantly for it like Germany keeps having to do.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.