[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the nation is a modern concept, then what did monarchs rule over?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 362x217) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 362x217
If the nation is a modern concept, then what did monarchs rule over?
>>
States
>>
Their personal property
>>
>>905370

You mean medieval monarchs?

Feudal holdings. The Kingdom was a collection of feudal properties with the king as a primus inter pares among them.

If you are referring to ancient times, then it was empires, kingdoms or city states.
>>
Monarch and nation are one in the same.
>>
>>905370
Land and whatever's on the land
>>
>>905370
Kingdoms? Empires? Duchies? Principalities? Marches? Theocracies?

Literally says so on the tin?
>>
>>905375
>>905377
>>905398
>>905402
>>905404
>>905406
All of these. Same difference. Nation is just the modern and bureaucratic version.
>>
>>905402
No. Loyalty to the dynasty requires no national background. It just requires your loyalty.

Monarchs were just forced to be national during the age of nationalism in the 19th Century.
>>
>>905370
over a territory, or a population.
This population evolve in the later era as a nation.
>>
>>905370
homo erectus
>>
>>905422
I've got your erect homo right here, guy.
>>
Nation just means that people share the same customs, gov't, ideals, etc. You could say that many monarchs ruled over a nation at the time, they just didnt refer to it as such.
>>
>>905414
Nation is a people's states, nationalism is wanting a nation for a people

You have non nations like Belgium, Yugoslavia, Spain and the UK
>>
the nation as in "a people" is not a modern concept
the nation as "a nation state" mostly is
>>
I know you can have nationalism without monarchism but can you have monarchism without nationalism? The monarch's blood is tied to the land same as yours.
>>
>>905469
A nation-state is a nation's state. The nation is the people, either under that state or willing it's constitution into reality through force.
>>
Over people duh
>>
>>905473
>the nation as in "a people" is not a modern concept
I would argue that in the middle ages and before the term nation could certainly attributed to some groups of people, but they were far more microcosmic than what one nowadays understands as "nation". The world was much more regionally divided, with a lot more varying dialects, customs, etc. - a homogenisation only began to happen with the invention of the printing press, when a common "national" culture could emerge among those capable of speaking the language.
>>
>>905370
Monarchies dude
>>
>>905370
Titles, which could be, but not necessarily, tied to land, who could have people tied to it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.