[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reality, what is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1458284063977.jpg (877 KB, 1544x1440) Image search: [Google]
1458284063977.jpg
877 KB, 1544x1440
I want some sources or opinions and quotes relating to reality.

Basically answering the question, whose reality?

I got scared while sleeping, i need to read some things about it to form my own opinion.

Down into the rabbit hole i go
>>
>>903916
>>903916
help me :(
>>
Read the fabric of the cosmos if you want a non-meme answer to the question. It deals with general relativity, quantum mechanics and superstrings.
>>
>>903916
here is the bombshell: reflexivity permits us to see that the belief in rationality, induction/generalization/categorization, imagination, intellect, reason does not lead us to the good life.

animals are the most rational beings, but they lack reflexivity since they fail to see that the faith in abstraction to reach knowledge/truth/objectivity/reality/universality is sterile since it brings only conventions which are, by definition, always fluctuating through, at least, time and space... rationality brings is a deception and a disappointment.

the point of reflexivity is to notice the failure of rationalism, to embrace PURE empiricism, that is to say, to stop fantasizing about a collective reality, but rather to stick to personal phenomena in analyzing them.
the point of reflexivity is to make us wonder what do we want.

Do you want to create norms, conventions in order to claim that you create norms and that these norms are truths that you try to impose on others, until some people will come to you and claim that their conventions are the truths and yours are lies ?
>>
File: 1459062386576.jpg (18 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1459062386576.jpg
18 KB, 512x384
>>903949
>reflexivity
>>903966
Ill have a look, thanks
>>
>>903949
>non-meme answer
>"""answer"""

Because when I want to know what existence is I read a pop sci book on string theory, lel

OP, reality is either a pale reflection or higher, more perfect realities or this is the only one that exists and we're shit out of luck
>>
>>903916
>>>/sci/

If you want a confusing summary:
In our current best model, Reality is the sum total of overlapping probability fields interacting in 4 dimensional spacetime.

Is the model correct? Well, define correct. Decimals being what they are, if your model predicts 0, and experimeny says 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 is that incorrect or measurement error? Our model is not 100%, it's missing things, but any correction must look a lot like our current model or reduce to it, because it makes exact predictions to 25 decimal places of accuracy.
>>
>>904037
Doesn't answer or explain shit.
>>
>>904001
>Criticises my choice on a scientific approach
>Gives a quasi-philosophical meme answer

If you truly believe what you claim, give me evidence.
>>
>>904037
Don't you mean 11 dimensional?
>>
>>904147
>empirical evidence
>for metaphysical realities

Metaphysics is deductive bruh
>>
>>904193
Not really. There's no logical reason to doubt the model of 'reality' we've built using science (table of elements, micro and macro physics etc). I see no reason why there should be something more other than:

>yeah but who created the big bang
>yeah but this doesn't feel right
>yeah but humans are special
>yeah but what if we're just an alien simulation lolz

The human experience isn't something subjective. Given the proper amount of time and resources, we can perfectly figure it all out. Even the dumb question of whether the color red is the color green for someone else can be easily investigated if we deconstruct how the eye and the brain works.
>>
>>904218
No ones doubting the current scientific model, but the current scientific model lacks all explanatory power because there is still the question of what determined reality this way. I don't think you know what metaphysics is
>>
>>904232
Why should there be a determinant? Because that makes sense to your brain?
>>
>>904240
It all just popped out of philosophical nothing, lol okaaaaay m8
>>
>>904254
>Implying nothing exists
>Implying it's not a broken concept
>>
>>904259
Then there's Something, and that something would fall under the purview of metaphysics
>>
If the question of how nothing becomes something is irrelevant, then metaphysics has no purpose anymore. We only have to describe the something, using science and scientific speculation.
>>
>>904264
In response to >>904263
>>
>>904264
>science doesn't have boundary conditions

M8 just stop
>>
>>904270
It does for the time being. Maybe these boundaries will grow, maybe they'll stay this way. What's the point of discussing outside these boundaries if we never reach a conclusion? Or is metaphysics just something you do to kill boredom or make you appear smart?
>>
>>904275
Because I'm not a fedora drone who needs epic labcoat men to hold my hand in understanding and contemplating the first principles of existence, and extrapolating from there

By definition, what determines empirical reality cannot itself be more empirical reality, so science's epistemological boundary is set in fucking stone.

Not to mention all the scientific knowledge in the world does nothing for the individual's actual, existential condition, the world of living, feeling beings, you know. Reality.
>>
>>904301
>Scientific knowledge does nothing for the individual's reality
Except extend his life, gives him means of communication and access to all forms of knowledge and means of transport.

>What determines empirical reality cannot be more than empirical reality
So why would you think there's something outside this empirical reality? How could your brain possibly come up with something, if it's part of empirical reality itself?

>Fedora drone
Ad hominem and a meme one at that. >>>/reddit/
>>
>>904307
>existential condition
>equivalent to his material status

>problems and disorders of consciousness
>solved by having more stuff

>technological progress correlates with mental health

Lel, typical modern. Oh you're sad and unfulfilled? Just take a walk through a climate-controlled office building bro, and be grateful for what holy science has done to improve your life! You're welcome
>>
>>904152
Nah he means we mathematically identify 4 dimensions.

Three spacial which you can't point out, they just are. And one time dimension.
You use the concept of dimensions mathematically to solve problems, and research stuff nothing more. Helps you understand basic stuff.
>>
>>904313
Existential crises are caused by the confrontation with the fact that we'll die and turn into wormfood. Religion has done a good job at clouding those facts but that's how it is. If people are sad and unhappy, why does that mean they're right in thinking there's more to life? More important, what does metaphysics do to help these people that science doesn't do?
>>
>>904315
M requires 10 spatial dimensions though. Though it hasn't been really substantiated yet.
>>
>>904317
>posting this with the same barely disguised derision and snooty condescension religious people used to swing their weight around with
>I do science therefore I know the ultimate nature of reality

You're a joke
>>
>>904341
>No answers to my question and more insults

Aaaaand we're done here. Go turn your armchair philosophy into tumblr quotes or something.
>>
>>904347
Every response could just as well be "why not?" But I already know the answer bro: because it isn't cool to think so in current year

Go back to posting epic science facts on your facebook faggot. Don't even know about the philosophy of the fucking discipline your championing on a Bali necklace smithing board
>>
>>903916
It's all just chemicals lol
>>
>>904347
And as for what metaphysics does: orients them as beings in a holistic, qualitative reality and doesn't reduce them to mechanistic bits in a mechanistic universe because your narrow worldview makes you confuse the substrate (matter) for the qualitative structure it composes
>>
>>904363
So your response to my question is 'why not'? Is that actually your argument?

I love philosophy and I think it's great that some of them can lead to societal revolutions or scientific advancements. But I don't see the fucking point of metaphysics. You can make up this contrived theory about whatever the fuck happens outside the universe and some dude can say that a duck shat us out and you are both on the same level.

>Why not?
Because it keeps idiots like you from doing something productive that actually benefits people, like cleaning up litter in your neighborhood or doing voluntary work in elderly hospitals. Lmao'ing at your life kid.
>>
>>904375
And how does that make a practical difference in their daily life?
>>
>>904381
Makes them feel a part contributing to a greater whole? Which is what is going on at all fucking scales of organization, from atoms to molecules to organs to bodies to societies to planets to the cosmos?

>>904376
That would be reddit gold XD if it wasn't such a shamless, retarded strawman.
>>
>>904406
>Makes them feel a part contributing to a greater whole
So does religion, nationalism, war and salary. Why should one be picked over the others?
>>
>>904413
Because it is ennobling.
>>
>>904430

And you prove that how exactly?
>>
File: 1350439612368.png (187 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
1350439612368.png
187 KB, 500x323
>>904218
>Given the proper amount of time and resources, we can perfectly figure it all out

You have way, wayy too much faith in scientific materialism.
>>
>>904434
By living it. the benefits can be self-reported, and have been (look up studies done on meditation, which yes does not necessarily imply a metaphysics but is a practice designed for the express purpise with forging an authentic relationship with the facts of existence), but the quality of the consciousness itself which these benefits proceed from, is incommunicable
>>
>>904467
No. I said given the proper time and resources which is far too much than we can actually acquire.

>>904474
Meditation is good because it relaxes the brain and relieves stress. You can leave all the spiritual stuff out of it and it's still good.
>incommunicable
Right.
>>
>>904723
>it just like relaxes the brain bro!!
>what relaxes the brain?
>m-meditation!
>how?
>by relaxing the brain! Chrckmate

No shit it relaxes the brain, the relaxation is the inevitable outcome of consciousness' unmediated experience of itself, the phenomenology of which has expounded for thousands of years by masters. Not psychologists

But keep telling me more about something you've never done or studied m8
>>
>>904744
There are plenty of masters in homeopathy too, doesn't make it any less bullshit. But fine here it goes:

>Lateral prefrontal cortex: the part of the brain that allows you to look at things from a more rational, logical and balanced perspective. In the book, we call it the Assessment Center. It is involved in modulating emotional responses (originating from the fear center or other parts of the brain), overriding automatic behaviors/habits and decreasing the brain’s tendency to take things personally (by modulating the Me Center of the brain, see below).
>Medial prefrontal cortex: the part of the brain that constantly references back to you, your perspective and experiences. Many people call this the “Me Center” of the brain because it processes information related to you, including when you are daydreaming, thinking about the future, reflecting on yourself, engaging in social interactions, inferring other people’s state of mind or feeling empathy for others. We call it the Self-Referencing Center.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation

Bet your masters didn't know shit about neurobiology.
>>
>>904751
lol oh man this guy. you think I don't know what the brain is? Lmao

I never said meditations effects do not have a physical basis. But a physical basis =/= artificial, 'unreal' somehow

>bet your masters didn't know about neurobiology

EPIC!!! XD
>>
>>904763
Can you please stop talking with all these fucking memes? I don't even know what you're trying to say anymore. Did you read the article?
>>
>>904767
Dumbass, I just fucking said I never claimed meditations effects were non-physical, I literally have no idea why you're throwing neuroscience at me other than the fact you drones can never engage with shit without fucking having a spa attack and going into autism autopilot pasting absolutely ebin passages from your bio textbook
>>
>>904793
I stopped reading halfway your sentence. Before you started spouting memes and dumb insults at me you were trying to prove that metaphysics was somehow relevant but you couldn't give a convincing argument. Continue there, or are you out of breath?
>>
>>904804
You have no idea what you're talking about and you're trying to tell me all about it. We're done. Have a nice day.
>>
File: Girls[1].png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls[1].png
490 KB, 449x401
>>904818
>he's out of arguments
>>
Alan Watts, Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, The Catholic Church/Islam/Satanism, Oso, KRSNA, Noetics, Semiotics,

OR alternatively

Wittgenstein
Bertrand Russel
Idealism like Hume
Empiricists

but maybe / can save you sometime.

>whose reality?

reality is a word meaning correspondence to what experienced to what is actual/factual/tangible/truth.

We use this as a word to make sure our experiences correspond with others. Reality is a concept used to help in communication with our fellow man to carry out our social games.

and really thats all you need to worry about.

now to the degree and manner your experiences are reality and what that exactly means -- you just have to ask yourself what you are willing to believe, and if what is something someone is saying is reaffirming a belief or if they are trying to convince you of something.
>>
>>904851
>the Catholic Church
>Wittgenstein

into the trash
>>
Probably a simulation or some kind of construct.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.