[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I had a history exam today and one of the questions was: Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: OPqHYG0.jpg (286 KB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
OPqHYG0.jpg
286 KB, 2560x1707
So I had a history exam today and one of the questions was:
Which one of these is not Greek?
a) Athens
b) Democracy
c) Alexander the Great
d) Sparta

What does /his/ think of this question?
>>
>>903462
Alex most likely.

Makedon was considered Barbaroi by Greeks

But Alex had a Greek Mum tho.
>>
>>903462
Do you live in FYROM?
>>
>>903463
"Barbaroi" also means "people I don't like" to Ancient Greeks. For example, the Spartans called the Athenians that during the Peloponnisian War
>>
>>903469
The Macedonians despite being Greek-speakers and Hellenized people were too alien with their absolute monarchies, pastoralism, hilltribal ways, and feudalish behaviour

Closer to Thracians than collective Hellenes.
>>
alexander of course, i dont get why people get butthurt when people say alexander wasnt greeks, probably some buttmad greek but those are about as far as modern italians and ancient rome
>>
It's Alexander. Always hated these bullshit semantics questions.
>>
Athens and Sparta are both obviously Greek, but both democracy and Alexander the Great are arguable.

If you look Alexander the Great up on Wikipedia, he is described as "A king (basileus) of the ancient Greek kingdom Macedon and a member of the Argead dynasty, an ancient Greek royal house". The ancient Macedonians are likewise described as "an ancient Greek people". So you should have some leeway in arguing that they are Greek, but then again, strictly speaking they were ancient Macedon. Just don't argue that they were modern Macedonians.

Democracy, likewise, is a matter of definition. The word itself is Greek, and they did have some degree of rule by consensus, but they weren't modern democracies in any sense of the word, in that they still had slaves and only a very select minority of land-owning, wealthy and relatively old men could 'vote'.
>>
>>903463
alexander had an epirus mom, also considered barbaroi
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.