[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best books i need to read if i want to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: SaintOlga.jpg (29 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
SaintOlga.jpg
29 KB, 240x320
What are the best books i need to read if i want to understand theology?

>inb4 the bible
aside from that
>>
>>903131
I don't think you really read the bible for theology.

What kind of theology do you want to get into?
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 728x546
>>903131
You don't need the bible for theology.

You need the Quran to see the unadulterated truth.
>>
>>903137
the concept of god and the nature of man
>>
>>903151
are Sufis hated?
>>
>>903159
No book can tell you the former.
>>
>>903159
Read catechism as an intro.

http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith
http://sttikhonsmonastery.org/about_orthodoxy.html
http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/catechism.html
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>903137
You do need the bible. Christian theology is based on revelation not reason. e.g. the Trinity is a revealed doctrine not a conclusion reached by reasoned argument
>>
>>903131
The Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Gives you full knowledge on one particular theology at least and clears up misconceptions about said theology that many have.
>>
>>904365
He wanted to know about true Christianity tho, not anathematized catholic cult.

He should study Orthodoxy, the true church of Christ.

Such as there is one Holy Spirit and one Church - the truth can't be in two churches, it's against God.
>>
Thomas Aquinas-- Summa Theologica
Anything by St. Augustine
But yeah the Catechism is a good place to start
If you're looking for Protestant stuff, Luther and Calvin also
I don't know any Orthodox writers
>>
>>904396
Since OP's most likely an American, he'll have had more experience with Catholics than Orthodox. As such he should know about them.

Plus Catholics and Orthodox both have Catechisms with many shared doctrines and several unshared. Reading both would be beneficial in understanding that not only is Christianity not all "Bibuhl-Bubleebin" American Evangelicals who think Inside Out was Satanic by not telling kids that JESUS! is the source of all your emotions.

Maybe we should be encouraged to read eachother's catechisms as well. That way we could be more like the Pope and Patriarchs in their recent meetings.
>>
does anyone on this board do any charity work?
>>
The City of God by St. Augustine is probably one of the most famous and influential works of Christian theology, so I would start there, OP.
>>
File: Bread Pill.png (548 KB, 640x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bread Pill.png
548 KB, 640x1000
>>903131
>>
>>903162
All of the Muslims I know either don't have an opinion of them or think that they're "totally chill", "cool" or "seem fun".
>>
File: Advanced bread pill.png (3 MB, 2560x2739) Image search: [Google]
Advanced bread pill.png
3 MB, 2560x2739
>>904853
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 460x345
>>904856
>>903162
Tasawauf scum. Worse than the Nusyri shithead Safavids.
>>
>>904868
how come?
>>
>>903131
Read the Quran, if you want an exact chapter which explains mankind, http://muslimmatters.org/2012/02/03/the-creation-of-man-as-mentioned-in-the-quran/
>>
>>904447
If he is about studying it for the sake of studying it he can do w/e, if he is interested in faith and eternal life - there can be only one option - Orthodox church - the One Holy and Apostolic Church.
>>
>>904858
Where would "The Great Divorce" go?
>>
>>904960
Oh, yeah, really great source.

Proclaim!
In the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, who created -
created man, out of a mere clot of congealed blood.
-- Sura 96:1-2
Apart from the fact that "a mere blood clot" is scientifically wrong, let us see what further ideas the Qur'an presents on how God creates human beings.

It is he who has created man from water
-- Sura 25:54
And God has created every living creature from water.
-- Sura 24:45

We created man from sounding clay,
from mud moulded into shape.
-- Sura 15:26

Amongst his signs is this,
that he created you from dust.
-- Sura 30:20

Blood clot? water? clay? dust? The Qur'an doesn't really seem all that sure what God used and seems to imply that He took just anything he could get his hands on. But this is still not all in this confusion:

God createth what He willeth:
When he hath decreed a plan,
He but saith to it, "Be," and it is!
-- Sura 3:47

Gee, no internal inconsistencies here, right Achmed?
>>
>>903131
Sacrae Theologiae Summa

do you read Spanish?
>>
>>903131

ONE LEARNS TO KNOW, NOT TO UNDERSTAND; READING DOES NOT PROVIDE UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>905658
Can you explain? I read you post and coulnd understand a thing.
>>
>>905595
>tfw feel when spainish, parents fromm colombia, with ancestors from portugal and spain with a smidge of ethopian from my mothers side yet i am white as snow
>tfw i dont speak spainish
>>
>>905749
Why?
>>
>>905916
i never picked it up
>>
>>905933
Why?
>>
>>905940
it just didn't click i guess, but i've thought about learning it now i just can't tell if it's the mexican Spanish or the castillian Spanish my folks speak
>>
>>903131
Personally recommend Beyond Good and Evil. The religous mood is enough to get a grasp of general religon
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.