[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WW2 Motivations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: germany surrender.jpg (249 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
germany surrender.jpg
249 KB, 1180x787
What was an ordinary rifleman's motivation to fight in WW2 for

>germany
>soviet union
>france
>united kingdom
>italy
>japan
>china
>finland
>romania
>>
They got a letter saying that they had to join the army or they would be put in prison.
>>
I don't think there is such a thing. People were drafted - simple as that. Sure there was a whole bulk of ideologically driven people, but my grandafther was a violinist and a musician, driven by artistic pursuits who probably could not care less about war on a ideological level.
>>
>>900895
>>900899
You don't fight only because you have been drafted.
>>
>>900895
>>900899
This board hates fun i swear it.
>>
>>900885

>germany

No particularly strong feelings. By 1944-45 fear was probably a major factor though.

>soviet union

Hatred of the Nazis.

>france

Defending France. What else?

>united kingdom

Once again, no particularly strong feelings but most did believe in the righteousness of their cause nonetheless.

>italy

Probably not much.

>japan

Hyper-nationalism and emperor worship.

>china

Hatred of the Japanese.

>finland

Defense of the homeland, of course.

>romania

About the same as Italy I assume.
>>
>>900930
>romania
>About the same as Italy I assume.

Hitler got Bessarabia back for them, and even more land in the East, plus the iron guard was ruthlessly anti-bolsevic.

This was the similar motivasion of Hungary, they wanted to keep the revisioned borders, and Horthy notoriously hated communist, it was almost a crusade for him.
>>
>germany
Wotan
>soviet union
He was more afraid of his own people than the enemy
>italy
Didn't
>finland
1939-40 - mämmi & sauna
After that the urals
>>
>>900905

No, but most people on all sides did.
>>
>>900922

Do you want actual history or some bullshit fantasy about them all rushing to take part in a heroic crusade to stop the evil enemy?
>>
>All

>everyone else is doing it

>besides if I don't I'll be shot
>>
>pay/work
>not being executed
>pay/work
>pay/work
>pay/work
>not being executed
>boredom
>rebuilding their empire
>boredom
>>
>>900885
for germany simply to make germany great again, and not trump-esk great, no really great! besides that totally ein volk ein reich ein führer!
>>
>>900930
China and Soviets may be better described as

>don't want to be genocided
>>
>>900885
Lies of authorities that they're responsible for the world going mad and it would be 'honourable' if they gave up their prescious lives to compensate for the fuckups of government and for the things they had absolutely nothing to do with

What a meaningless death all of them
>>
>>900973
More meaningful than living for nothing.
>>
>germany

A free farm in Russia where everything would be perfect forever

>soviet union

Avoiding a free bullet to the head from the commisar

>france

The promise that they could hide in a bunker and everything would be fine

>united kingdom

Muh nigger empire

>italy

If it gets tough we can just switch sides

>japan

State shinto tells them the emperor is literally god so they have to

>china

Japs are going to rape, kill and eat your family but not necessarily in that order

>finland

Wanted to take back some wasteland where ancient finns lived

>romania

Hoping Germany will win, also their officers still whipped the ordinary soldiers
>>
>>900979
Im pretty sure finns only cared about the parts where finns actually lived.
>>
>>900968
I'm sorry, anon. This is yet another Nazi apologists thread "We would've won, except they were fighting dirty".
>>
>>900895
GOT A LETTER IN THE MAIL

GO WAR OR GO TO JAIL

THE ARMY LIFE IS CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>900958
Everybody believed in the bullshit fantasy until their entire squad got blown up by a howitzer shell.
>>
>>900993

They wanted Karelia
>>
>>901026
Yes? Are you saying Karelia wasnt part of Finland two years before ww2 started?
>>
>>901015
After that they got an actual reason to fight.
>>
>>900979
>le Commissars shooting their troops meme
>>
>>901038
and it was fucking empty
Soviets only took it for a buffer because st. Peter lied pissing distance from the border.
>>
>>900885
Same as every grunt in every war ever.

Don't fuck up and get your buddy hurt or killed.
>>
>>901052
>Over 400k people
>Empty
>>
File: 451px-East_and_West_Karelias.png (90 KB, 451x599) Image search: [Google]
451px-East_and_West_Karelias.png
90 KB, 451x599
>>901038

They wanted all this and more
>>
>>900978
I'm not sure dying for nothing is better that living for nothing. I'm not even convinced that all those wasted lives were living for nothing either.
>>
File: 1447014575811.jpg (1 MB, 1942x1223) Image search: [Google]
1447014575811.jpg
1 MB, 1942x1223
>>901058
Yes so much more.
>>901052
Well since Soviets had such altruistic reasons for murdering a shit ton of finns I guess they could have at least paid for all the homes the 400k karelians lost when they had to move to Finland after ww2.
>>
>>900979
Nice post
>>
File: 1345250131088.jpg (9 KB, 231x281) Image search: [Google]
1345250131088.jpg
9 KB, 231x281
>>901096

>The Finns helped in the siege of Leningrad where 1,500,000 people died and over 3,000,000 would have if it had not be relieved

>oy vey the soviets murdered tons of us for communism and 100km2 of useless swamp
>>
>germany
Perfidious Albion and the Anglo-Jew forced yet another war on us poor Germans. Like my father before me, I must fight to win for Germany or else this will happen to my children, too.

>soviet union
Communism? No thanks, my motherland comes first. This is about life and death, I'm going to personally get revenge on the fascist beasts.

>france
We don't really want to fight, we just had a shitty ass war twenty years ago, goddamn everyone just chill the fuck out.

>united kingdom
The German brute has reared his ugly head again, we're going to crush him again and put the Hun in his place.

>italy
At least my war isn't as shitty as my dad's was.

>japan
The evil white man in the ABCD conspiracy is keeping the Japman down, we'll show those imperialists who is the most powerfur.

>china
Do we really have to fight the Japs? I'd rather go home and fight the communists. My feet hurt.

>finland
The independence of our nation is at stake, let's go fight and take back muh Karelia.

>romania
Caught in the middle, no motivation after being absolutely crushed by a Soviet counteroffensive.
>>
>>901131
>The Finns helped in the siege of Leningrad where 1,500,000 people died and over 3,000,000 would have if it had not be relieved
Proofs?
>>
>>901155

The proof is them preventing food from reaching the city
>>
>Germany
Death to Bolshevism

>USSR
Death to fascism

>UK
Jerry getting uppity again

>France
Fight? Le

>Italy
Muh Roman Empire

>Finland
Gib Karelia

>Japan
Must quench thirst for chink blood

>China
Pls no co-prosperity sphere

>Romania
I was conscripted
>>
>>901170
With that kind of logic Nazi germany was helping Soviets attack finland during the winter war too.
>>
>>901194

Take your head out of your ass
>>
>>901011
They would've surely won without italy.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>900930
>no particularly strong feelings but most did believe in the righteousness of their cause nonetheless
basically this from my experience talking to WW2 veteran relatives. In the western theatre at least many 'enjoyed' the war
>>
>>901219

Without Italy:

>still would have attacked russia without winter clothes or equipment since they expected to win in a few months
>still would have gotten their ass kicked by partisans
>still would have focused their technology on silly "superweapons" to the detriment of everything else
>still would have had a meddling methhead former corporal directing the operation
>>
>>900885
>germany
Fatherland
>soviet union
NKVD shows up if you don't
>france
muh republique
>united kingdom
Expanding the eternal anglo's cancerous grasp
>italy
None
>japan
We have to kill and extort asian peoples so that European powers will not kill and exort asian peoples
>china
Jap raped someone you knew
>finland
oh fugs itss ze rrussdians!! :D:D
>romania
literally who
>>
>>901194
Nope
>>
>>901240
Meme history post

>>901257
>le commisar shoot you meme
>>
>>901485

Not only will le commisar le shoot you in the le head but also your whole family will be sent to le gulag.
Funnily enough Stalins own son was captured at one stage but Stalin didnt get sent to the gulag.
>>
>>900946
this.
We just wanted our stuff.
Also, we were surrounded by axis, so if we stopped, we would have partitioned like Poland
Add the iron guard and it's crowd, and some historical germanboo-ism among some of the population, and you got us in the Axis.
>>
>>901515
Yeah, yeah, half of russians were shot and other half was in gulag, we know.
>>
>>900905
Yes you do. Unless you are a scumbag.
>>
>>900885
>vaterland
>motherland
>return to sovereignty/self-defense
>defense against the hun
>muh national pride
>muh national pride
>lost territory
>self-defense
>muh national pride
>>
>germany
mixed, in large part i can imagine it would be a revival of German prosperity and counter attack on marxism

>soviet union
survival and spread of marxism

>france
survival, curbing of Germany's powers

>united kingdom
survival, curbing germany's power

>italy
supporting fascism, curbing marxism, and making Italy great again

>japan
remove gaijan, imperialism, and resources

>china
survival, and depends on which faction

>finland
along with other axis-aligned eastern European nations, curbing marxism and soviet spread
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.