[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is intelligence? What does it consist of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
What is intelligence? What does it consist of?
>>
>>899292
Understanding and memory.
>>
The letters I,n,t,e,l,g,n,c
>>
adaptation to the environment.
it consists in ways to improve and reactualize this adaptation.
>>
File: 1458894534312.gif (387 KB, 206x210) Image search: [Google]
1458894534312.gif
387 KB, 206x210
>>899292

>What is intelligence? What does it consist of?

Not religion, for sure.
>>
The ability to extract new information from old one.
>>
The ability to take in and maybe retain new information.
>>
>>899292
The ability to obtain or infer abstract information from sensory data
>>
The ability of a sentient being to use a tool with purpose.
>>
>>899299
> Adaptation to the environment.
This, the most widely used and accepted definition is the ability to use your mental abilities to adopt and survive in whatever environment you're in.
>>
>>899424
>mad because he's retarded
http://www.examiner.com/article/of-10-highest-iq-s-on-earth-at-least-8-are-theists-at-least-6-are-christians
>>
File: 1458670373988.gif (875 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
1458670373988.gif
875 KB, 250x231
>>899458

IQ is just the ability we have to seek out patterns in the information we already have attained. If you are not exposed to anything but dogmatic religion, how is one to find a pattern to see past it?

Atheism increases with education, which kinda supports my argument.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
>>
>>899292
There are different kinds of intelligence.
>>
>>899490
>The study controlled for personality differences and cognitive ability, suggesting the differences were due to thinking styles - not simply IQ or raw cognitive ability.[17]
Interestig
>>
>>899535
I.e, people who are more religious, probably think more with their "heart" than their brain.

Not trying to be sarcastic on purpose, but I mean, I hear all the time from religious people that they think them "feeling" god's presence, somehow is supposed to convince other people that he exists.
>>
>>899574

This could explain why women tend to be more religious/social than men.
>>
>>899292
the ability to create entropy
when you think about it (in the grand scheme of things) the most intelligent choice is always the choice which will open up as many possible options in the future.
>>
File: 1451521464721.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1451521464721.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>899590

Oh, this explains the relationship between IQ and Bisexualism.
>>
>>899292
intelligence is a social construct
>>
>>899590

Opening up more options for the future isn't entropy, it's creating order. The planning required to major in two subjects is more than the planning required to major in just one, as it requires more organization.
>>
File: SPARKULAR.gif (10 KB, 90x55) Image search: [Google]
SPARKULAR.gif
10 KB, 90x55
>>899619

Yes, this is why there are no theoretical physicists with down syndrome. It's because intelligence is illuminate propaganda to create division between the common populous.

Divide and conquer.
>>
It's an entirely human concept so does not have a non-arbitrary, physical definition like say an electron does.

In the west it is generally agreed by consensus to be the ability to use deductive, logical reasoning to solve problems, understand and manipulate abstract concepts, learn new things, infer patterns and relationships and similar things like that.

In the bush of south africa, the concept of intelligence might instead mean how well you're able to hunt.

But the developed, western world built on calculus and computational logic is more important than primitive tribes.
>>
>>899292
The ability to solve problems of any kind.
>>
I like Reuven Feuerstein definition the most.
I don't remember the exact words, but it went along the lines of:
"Intelligence is the ability to process experiences to extract a source of knowledge"
>>
>>899588
Women are herd creatures, so yes it does make more sense, because a woman losing her social network is literally a reason for her to commit suicide, whereas a man will more likely commit suicide because of either a lack of will, or failure to succeed in life.
>>
>>899590
a microstate isn't an option.

when the universe reaches a maximum entropy state of the greatest number of microstates, which will be when the entire universe is a loose cloud of simple atoms and molecules with a boltzman distribution of kinetic energy.

at which point there is no choice that can be made
>>
File: 1444823806582.jpg (42 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1444823806582.jpg
42 KB, 500x374
Intelligence is the absence of happiness.
>>
>>899574
Nope
>>
>>899810

Nope what?
>>
>>899705
>"Ecclesiastes 1:18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."
>>
>>899913

Wisdom is not intelligence.
>>
INT is usually the workhorse stat for wizards, sorcerers and other spellcasters. Usually determines MP as well as MP regen and spell list size.

Consists of... stat points? The taller your wizard hat the cooler you are, I s'pose. So maybe it's hair or something.

Yeah. Let's go with that. Intelligence is determined by the length of your neckbeard hairs.
>>
>>899959
Nice post
>>
Intelligence is the abstract constructed series of associations created by the human brain to define the measure of how matter becomes more and more aware of itself.
>>
>>899424
>being this edgy
>>
>>899299
>adaptation to environment
At the very basic core, thats true. A bug is intelligent. Cockroaches are one of the most intelligent creatures.

But by human factors, there are many different types of intelligence. Memory retention, information processing, pattern recognition, linguistics, mathematics, social smarts, literary intelligence, etc
>>
>>899292
Intelligence consists of the very specific body of knowledge that I study, because obviously I am a special snowflake, misunderstood genius, profound philosopher that is superior in intelligence to you and everyone else here. How is this even a question? I took an internet IQ test once and got a 210, you know.
>>
>>899490
There isn't a direct increase with Atheism and education in the manner which you state that there is. People that are educated can choose to make a decision to believe in themselves instead of just blindly following a religion, but past that there isn't really a positive High IQ = Atheist correlation. In fact, the Wikipedia article you linked to also states that higher education and church visits (in Western countries) are positively correlated as well.
I got this image off of the Wikipedia page, and you can see here that countries with higher average IQs are pretty scattered around, with only four of them having a higher than 50% Atheist rating.
If anything, the article suggests that religiosity isn't linked so much to IQ as it is to cultural, social, and economic influences.
>TL;DR: High IQ doesn't really lead to Atheism, although low IQ does tend to lead to religiosity.
>>
A human umbrella term that encompasses the mental abilities someone has.
>>
>>899490
>>901466
It's a huge misconception that many people have that intelligence = intelligence of beliefs.
>>
>>901602
>intelligence of beliefs.
Huh?
>>
>>899574
In many cases yes, but there are scientific reasons to believe in God, e.g. Lanciano.
>>
>>899292
it literally has to do with memes
>>
>>899292
Problem-solving. Memory, appreciation of art, etc. have nothing to do with intelligence. Intelligence, regardless of the subject, is all about problem-solving.
>>
>>899292
>What is intelligence?
Inetlligence is what is measured by an IQ test.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.