[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about Charlemagne? I would love some book recommendations,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
Can we talk about Charlemagne?
I would love some book recommendations, in German or English if you know any good ones.

>mfw Saxons near me
>>
File: Voltaire.jpg (56 KB, 439x648) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire.jpg
56 KB, 439x648
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire

But yeah, Charlegmane does seem like a pretty cool guy, would also really like to have a good biography recommendation.
>>
>>899049

Pretty based guy, one of the greatest black men who ever lived.
>>
>>899071
WE
>>
>>899049
Charlemagne was good, but he was not as based as Charles Martel.
>>
>>899049

There's a nice audio documentary starring Christopher Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
>>
>>901180
I SHED THE BLOOD OF FOUR THOUSAND SAXON MEN
>>
>>899076
WUZ
>>
File: charlemagne_gold_statue.jpg (400 KB, 925x1024) Image search: [Google]
charlemagne_gold_statue.jpg
400 KB, 925x1024
Howdy.
>>
>>901513
Gold is a very valuable commodity.
>>
File: ebin.gif (2 MB, 190x104) Image search: [Google]
ebin.gif
2 MB, 190x104
>>901513
>>901544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>901424
SHITPOSTAZ
>>
Charlemagne was really interesting. While he was a ruthless conqueror determined on expanding his empire and enforcing unitary rule, he also really sought to recreate his perception of Rome.

Charlemagne really loved literacy and learning, despite not being able to read himself. He patronized dozens of scholars who came to Aachen from across his empire, Byzantium, and even England.
>>
File: 1444988850863.jpg (147 KB, 520x676) Image search: [Google]
1444988850863.jpg
147 KB, 520x676
>>901614
>and even England.

wew
>>
>>899049
I checked a few out from my library I'll see if they're any good to recomend
>>
>>899049
English version of "The Life of Charlemagne' by Einhard/Egenherd at legacy . fordham . edu

If you are looking to branch out into Latin, try the version on thelatinlibrary . com

The guy has a lot to say about lil Charlie. He seems honest in his portrayal of the man. I found it really interesting how Charlemagne treated his daughters with such high regard.

Pic related - it's a drawing of him two centuries later that I found in a heraldry manual
>>
>>899049

>Charlemagne

>Real

pick one
>>
Largely responsible for the viking era desu.
>>
>>902686
okay, I'll be a dumb fish and take the bait. How do you mean?

>>902702
could you elaborate?
>>
>>902686
don't we have writings of bishops who lived contemporary to him?
>>
>>902730
>could you elaborate?
He forbade trade with non-Christians, the economy of Scandinavia collapsed and the scandis started raiding Christians.
>>
>>902749
Interesting, but what were the Norse men producing enough of to trade with the men south of them? Amber? Honey?
>>
>>902787
Mostly furs, metal goods and wool IIRC but more importantly than that they acted as intermediaries and transport for goods from all over.
>>
File: Norse gods.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Norse gods.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>902787
* and have it collapse there economy
>>
>>899049
>Charlemagne
You mean Karl der Große, a German politician
>>
Glorified cheerleader.
>>
>>899049
Charlemagne books
http://pastebin.com/QYMYkwq8
>>
File: Charlemagne color.jpg (77 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Charlemagne color.jpg
77 KB, 1000x1000
>>902808
>mfw you're a gigantic faggot but I have to keep my composure as Emperor of Western Europe
>>
What can you tell me about his Paladins? The wiki article is shit
>>
File: Charlemagne.png (99 KB, 273x308) Image search: [Google]
Charlemagne.png
99 KB, 273x308
>Charlemagne
>not black
>>
Is every European really directly descended from him as a guy I know claims?
>>
>>903423
Pretty much, but that's not really strange considering
For example I would 99.999% of people alive are descended from Alexander the Great or the Diadochi
>>
>>903484
Please explain why it isn't surprising. I find it interesting. If I were to make an educated guess I would look at only 1,000 years to spread his seed to countries like Scotland and Russia he didn't interact with and he didn't have tons of kids I know of.
I find that to be very interesting and want to know more.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.