[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some other historical examples of leaders who just wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 195x258
What are some other historical examples of leaders who just wanted to go home and retire
>>
File: my_feet_hurt.jpg (127 KB, 560x361) Image search: [Google]
my_feet_hurt.jpg
127 KB, 560x361
>>
File: 118636-004-960C3ED1.jpg (47 KB, 341x450) Image search: [Google]
118636-004-960C3ED1.jpg
47 KB, 341x450
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus
>>
>>898729
Legendary figures not wanted
>>
>>898716
Ford, Johnson
>>
i always feel bad for Neville Chamberlain

poor guy just wanted peace
>goes down in history as "the man that fell for hitlers bullshit" and "that guy before churchill"
churchill was an ass, incidentally, but he was right about the nazis no question
>>
>>898763
Unfortunately made the mistake that he was dealing with a rational opponent with hitler.
>>
>>898771
Always leave room for crazy!
>>
>>898763
I do think Chamberlain gets a bit more shit than he should. He did in fact prepare for war but he was just not going to start one and gave Hitler pretty much anything he wanted to try and avoid one.

He wasn't some fool that had no idea what was going on. He was desperate to keep Europe from flooding in the blood of its young yet again. Utlimately he did a lot more harm than good though. Had England and France come down hard on Germany in 35 or 36 a lot of people would have still died, but not the 40-60 million that did.

>40-60 million people died
>in Europe alone
Fuck, that number is just unfathomable. I've been killing vidya mooks since I was 4, RTSs, FPSs, platformers, Total War games. I doubt my killcount is even close to 500,000, let alone 1 million.
>>
>>898763
>churchill was an ass, incidentally, but he was right about the nazis no question
Yeah but his reason isn't that he saw them as evil but rather him being a germanphobe
>>
Tiberius
>>
Diocletian.

It's a shame he didn't die shortly after. He made the foolish mistake of watching everything he put together fall apart again.
>>
>>898857
>memes
"I have always said that if Great Britain were defeated in war I hoped we should find a Hitler to lead us back to our rightful position among the nations. I am sorry, however, that he has not been mellowed by the great success that has attended him. The whole world would rejoice to see the Hitler of peace and tolerance, and nothing would adorn his name in world history so much as acts of magnanimity and of mercy and of pity to the forlorn and friendless, to the weak and poor." t. churchill

>muh germanophobe
Churchill was an aggressive British nationalist, imperialist, racist, sexist etc, but to call him a "germanophobe" is a bit rich
>>
>>898860

The Techarchy would have fallen apart with or without him.
>>
>>898881
You underestimate personal loyalty
And I ambition
>>
>>898763
he was short sighted and far too idealistic as he knew how barbaric men could get
>>
>>898857
he wasn't a germaphobe but just wanted britain to remain the super power
>>
>>898836
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>898881
He was the only person who could've kept it together. He put too much faith in people.
>>
>>898878
Churchill was no worse than most aristocrats of his time tbqh, if you judge him by modern standards you are failing as a historian.
>>
File: Elderly_Karl_V.jpg (98 KB, 640x768) Image search: [Google]
Elderly_Karl_V.jpg
98 KB, 640x768
>>
>>900663
Can confrm, he was also clearly aware Felipe was going to be even more of a dedicated leader than he was.
>>
>>898836
I disagree. Had the war started earlier, Russia would have been severely under prepared. Buying those two years helped everybody except Germany.
>>
File: Emperor Taizong.png (119 KB, 250x441) Image search: [Google]
Emperor Taizong.png
119 KB, 250x441
>>898716
Emperor Gaozu of T'ang who founded the T'ang Dynasty retired in favor of his son, Li Shimin, after Li Shimin pulled off one of the greatest succession grabs in Chinese history which was the Xuanwu Gate incident. Which was a battle in the Daming Imperial Palace between Li Shimin's elder brothers: the Crown Prince and the second in line to the Throne.

Gaozu was impressed that he pretty much recognized Li Shimin as his successor instantly. A couple of days later he retired.

Li Shimin became the Taizong Emperor. Considered china's greatest.
>>
Not really the case with washington. He also abstained from having a child because he didn't want to be emperor.
>>
>>900738

I guess he realized that Li Shimin was such an imposing figure.
>>
>>898859
Tiberius had the Julio-Claudian madness. Not some weary figure who wanted to chill on his island.
>>
>>900915
For him.

Though for srs. there is an ongoing debate on whether Gaozu Emperor:
1) Was terrified of Li Shimin's influence in the army that he abdicated
2) Hated his crown prince's guts and collabed with Li Shimin (The Father-Third Son duo were pretty much responsible for the Sui overthrow and were close.)
>>
>>900934
Hella wrong.
>>
>>898716
Louis XVI

>>900769
I'm pretty sure he was infertile from smallpox
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.